Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Bookshelf

Search

Index for “tron church edinburgh”

farswade.] CAPTAIN PHILIP LOCKHART. 357
was shot, and the other two performed the like
to his body ;?then they were shot, and laid together,
without a coffin, in a pit digged for the purpose.
Which tragical scene being thus finished, Mr.
Nairne and Mr. Lockhart were decently buried.??
(? Letter to a friend in the king?s camp,? Perth,
Count Lockhart was succeeded by his son
1 7 1 5 )
turesqueness and romance to any in Scotland.
The river seems all the way to be merrily frdicsome,
and rushing along a shelving gradient, now hiding
itself behind rocks and weeping wood, and making
sudden, but always mirthful, transitions in its
moods.?
A few ancient and many modem mansions and
villas stud the banks of the glen above the ancient
ROSLIN CHAPEL :-INTERIOR. (A/& a Phtograph 6y G. W. Wiison & Co.)
Charles. In the early years of the present century,
Dryden was the property of George Mercer, a son
of Mercer of Pittuchar, in Perthshire.
In this quarter, on the north bank of the Esk, are
the church and village of Lasswade, amid scenery
remarkable for its varied beauty. The bed of the
Esk lies through a deep, singularly romantic, long,
and bold ravine, always steep, sometimes perpendicular
and overhanging, and everywhere covered
with the richest copsewood. ?? Recesses, contractions,
irregularities, rapid and circling sinuosities,
combine with the remarkably varied surface of its
sides, to render its scenery equal in mingled picvillage
of Lasswade, whose bridge spans the river,
and the name of which Chalmers, in his ??Caledonia,??
believes to be derived from a ?? well-watered
pasturage of common use, or Zaeswc, in Saxon a
common, and iueyde, a meadow.? In an old Dutch
map it is spelt Lesserwade, supposed to mean the
opposite of Legenvood-the smaller wood in contrast
to some greater one.
The parish of Melville was added to that of
Lasswade in 1633.
In the time of James 111. the ancient Church of
Lasswade was, by the Pope?s authority, detached
from St. Salvador?s College at St Andrews, to
. ... CAPTAIN PHILIP LOCKHART. 357 was shot, and the other two performed the like to his body ;?then they ...

Book 6  p. 357
(Score 0.58)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 223
'No. CCXLV.
REV. DR. JOHN COLQUHOUN,
OF THE CHAPEL OF EASE (NOW ST. JOHN'S CHURCH) LEITH.'
DR. COLQUHOUwNa s the son of a small farmer on the estate of Sir James
Colquhoun, Bart. of Luss, Dumbartonshire, where he was born on the first of
January 1748. He received the rudiments of education at a neighbouring
school under the Society for Propagating Christian Knowledge in Scotland ;
and, as an instance of his early thirst for religious information, it is related
that a perusal of Boston's Fourfold State having been recommended to him by
his teacher, he travelled to Glasgow, a distance of nearly fifty miles going and
returning, in order to procure a copy of the work. Manifesting a decided inclination
for the ministerial office, and having made some progress in the Latin
tongue, he became a student at the University of Glasgow about the year 1768.
Here he continued to prosecute his studies in the languages, in philosophy, and
in theology, for the greater part of ten years. He then repaired to Edinburgh,
attended the University for a season ; and returning to Glasgow, waa licensed
by the Presbytery of that district early in August 1780.
A vacancy having about this time occurred in the New Church or Chapel,
South Leith, Dr. Colquhoun received a call to be its pastor, and was ordained
on the aid of March 1781. From that period, throughout the greater part of
half a eentury, he continued to discharge the duties of his office with distinguished
zeal; and, until within a few years of his death, with the happiest
results to a respectable and numerous congregation. Taking little part in, and
almost unconscious of what was going on in the world around him, his time
was exclusively devoted to study and to his pastoral cares, seldom if ever absenting
himself from his charge, save when called away to aid in the sacramental
dispensations of his brethren. To the young, especially such as were desirous
of communicating, he afforded ample instruction by his monthly meetings for
that purpose ; and not the least interesting and salutary portion of his labours
were the weekly conversations held on the Friday evenings at his own house.
The Chapel (built by subscription) waa opened for public worship on Sabbath, the 12th of
December 1773, and continued to be regularly supplied by ministers and preachers in connection with
the Church of Scotland. In November 1775, the Rev. Mr. Burnside, having been elected by the
%stew, members of the congregation, heads of families, and renters of seats, waa regnlarly ordained
as minister of the Chapel, by the presbytery of Edinburgh.-Mm~ of tha Munagerk Mr, Burnside
was translated to Dumfries in 1780. A ea11 was then given to the Rev. Walter Buchanan (late
of the Cauongate), which waa at first accepted, but afterwards declined, in consequence of an invitation
to Stirling. nr. Colquhoun was thereafter chosen. ... SKETCHES. 223 'No. CCXLV. REV. DR. JOHN COLQUHOUN, OF THE CHAPEL OF EASE (NOW ST. JOHN'S ...

Book 9  p. 297
(Score 0.58)

50 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
published. One of these, entitled (‘ The progress of ’the Christian Religion,”
was delivered before the Society for Propagating Christian Knowledge, at the
anniversary in 1793 ; and a discodrse on ‘(The Resurrection of Christ” appeared
in The Scotch Preachr.
The genius and exertions of Dr. Hardie were not, however, confined to
spiritual matters. Temporal affairs occasionally engaged his attention. In 1793,
he produced his (( Plan for the Augmentation of Stipends”-one of the works
to which the artist has made special reference in the Print; and, much about
the same period, he undertook another essay, entirely of a political nature. This
was no less than a refutation of the republican dopas of Thomas Paine. The
late Mr. Smellie had been applied to by the leading men of this city, in the
interest of Government, to write an answer to the revolutionary works of P h e ;
but his hands being full of important literary engagements at the time, he
declined doing so. Dr. Hardie having been next applied to, he produced a
well-written pamphlet, entitled, The Patriot,’ for which he obtained a pension
from Government. It is in allusion to this publication that he has been called
‘( The Reverend Patriot” by the artist.
In the Church Courts, notwithstanding occasional party heats, Dr. Hardie
was very generally esteemed by his professional brethren, and was elected
Moderator of the General Assembly in 1793. In private, and especially in the
domestic circle, his conduct was such as to endear him to his friends and family.
He died at a premature age in 1798, leaving a wife and several children ’ to
regret the close of a career which had been so full of promise. He was
married to Agnes Young in June 1780. His residence was at one time at
Lauriston, but the house he latterly occupied for many years, and in which
he died, was that which still stands at the corner of Richmond Place and
Hill Place.
“Addressed to the People on the present state of affain in Britain and in France, with
Observations on Republican Government, and Discussions of the Principles advanced in the
Writings of T. Paine,” pp. 78. In this essay the author does not condescend on the
discussion of abstract principles. To the theories of Paine he opposes the pages of history. In the
Cromwellian era of Britain, and the sanguinary proceedings of the French Revolution, he found
ample materials.
a His third son, Charles Wilkie, studied for the Church, and was presented to the parish of
’ Dnnning, but died in the course of the year following. His death is thus noticd in the Scots
Magazine for 1814 :--“At Edinbur&, on the 7th February, the Rev. Charles Wilkie Hardie, in the
twenty-rrixth year of his age, and first of his ministry. Mr. Hardie wm the third son of the late
Dr. Thomaa Hardie of this city, and a young man, who, in the estimation of his friends, gave the
fairest promise of repairing the loss which the Church of Scotland sustained by the death of his
excellent father, ”
E h , 1793, ... BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. published. One of these, entitled (‘ The progress of ’the Christian ...

Book 9  p. 67
(Score 0.58)

360 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [North Bridge
they occupied when obtained, that we are tempted to
conclude the genteeler part of the congregations in
Edinburgh deem the essential duties of religion to
be concentrated in holding and paying rent for so
many feet square in the inside of a church."
- Lady Glenorchy, whom Kincaid describes as '' a
young lady eminent for good sense and every
accomplishment that could give dignity to her
rank, and for the superior piety which made her conspicuous
as a Christian," in 1772 feued a piece of
ground from the managers of the Orphan Hospital,
at a yearly duty of d15, on which she built her
chapel, of which (following the example of Lady
Yester in another part of the city) she retained the
patronage, and the entire management with herself,
and certain persons appointed by her.
In the following year she executed a deed,
which declared that the managers of the Orphan
Hospital should have liberty (upon asking it in
proper time) to employ a preacher occasionally in
her chapel, if it was not otherwise employed, and
to apply the collections made on these occasions
in behalf of the hospital. On the edifice being
finished, she'addressed the following letter to the
Moderator of the Presbytery of Edinburgh :-
" Edin., April zgth, 1774.
"REVEREND SIR,-It is a general complaint that the
churches of this city which belong to the Establishment are
not proportioned to the number of its inhabitants, Many
who are willing to pay for seats cannot obtain them ; and no
space is left for the poor, but the remotest areas, where few of
those who find room to stand can get within hearing of any
ordinary voice. I have thought it my duty to employ part
of that substance with which God has been pleased to
entrust me in building a chapel within the Orphan House
Park, in which a considerable number of our communion
who at present are altogether unprovided may enjoy the
benefit of the same ordinances which are dispensed in the
parish churches, and where I hope to have the pleasure of
accommodating some hundreds of poor people who have
long been shut out from one of the best and to some of them
the only means of instruction in the principles of our holy
religion.
" The chapel will soon be ready to receive a congregation,
and it is my intention to have it supplied with a minister 01
approved character and abilities, who will give sufficient
security for his soundness in the faith and loyalty to Govern
ment.
"It will give me pleasure to be informed that the Pres.
bytery approve of my design, and that it will be agreeable tc
them that I should ask occasional supply from such ministen
and probationers as I am acquainted with, till a congregatior
be formed and supplied with a stated minister.-I am, Rev,
Sir, Src '' W. GLENORCKY."
The Presbytery being fully convinced not onlj
of the piety of her intentions, but the utility o
having an additional place of worship in the city
unanimously approved of the design, and in May,
1774, her chapel was opened by the Rev. Robert
Walker of the High Church, and Dr. John Erskine of
the Greyfriars ; but a number of clergy were by no
means friendly to the erection of this chapel in any
way, on the plea that the footing on which it was
admitted into connection with the Church was not
sufficiently explicit, and eventually they brought the
matter before the Synod of Lothian and Tweeddale.
Lady Glenorchy acquainted the Presbytery, in 1775,
that she intended to place in the chapel an English
dissenting preacher named Grove. The Presbytery
wrote, that though they approved of her
piety, they could give no countenance whatever to
a minister who was not a member of the Church of
Scotland; and Mr. Grove foreseeing a contest,
declined the charge, and now ensued a curious
controversy.
Lady Glenorchy again applied to the Presbytery,
wishing as incumbent the Rev. Mr. Balfour, then
minister of Lecroft; but he, with due respect for
the Established Church and its authority, declined
to leave his pastoral charge until he was assured
that the Presbytery of the city would instal him in
the chapel. The latter approved of her selection,
but declined the installation, unless there x-as a
regular " call " from the congregation, and security
given that the offerings at the chapel were never to
be under the administration of the managers of the
charity workhouse.
With this decision she declined to comply, and
wrote, " That the chapel was her own private property,
and had never been intended to be put on the
footing of the Establishment, nor connected with it
as a chapel, of ease to the city of Edinburgh ; That
having built it at her own expense, she was entitled
to name the minister : That she wished to convince
the Presbytery of her inclination, that her minister,
though not on the Establishment, should hold communication
with its members : That, with respect
to the offerings, everybody knew that she had a p
pointed trustees for the management of them, and
that those who were not pleased with this mode of
administration might dispose of their alms elsewhere;
adding that she had once and again sent part of
these offerings to the treasurer of the charity workhouse."
A majority of the Presbytery now voted her reply
satisfactory, agreed to instal her minister, and that
he should be in communion with the Established
Church, '' Thus," says h o t , who seems antagonistic
to the founders, " did the Presbytery give every
mark of countenance, and almost every benefit
arising from the Established Church, while this institution
was not subject to their jurisdiction ; while ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [North Bridge they occupied when obtained, that we are tempted to conclude the ...

Book 2  p. 360
(Score 0.58)

470
seton, Beorge, 3d Lord, 416, 417
Qeorge, 6th Lord, 48
Shakespeare, 286
Sharpe, Archbishop, 101,192, 275
Charles K., 147, 150, 161, 164, 157, 169,365,
441
Shaw, Richard, encounters a Lady in disguise, 7
SheepHead Wynd, Leith, 359
Sheriff Brae, Leith, 362
Shields, Mm, the Midwife, 193
Shoemakers’ Land, 291
Close, 291
Shot Windows, 175,330
Shutters, Antique, 169
silvermills, Village of,’ 371
Sim, Alexander, 170
Sime, Rev. John, 186, 450, 451
Simson, h n a , a famous Witch, 283
Sinclair, John, Bishop of Brecbin, 181
Smellie, William, the Printer, 239
Smith, Dr Adam, 167, 301
Smith’s Chapel, Baron, 266
smollet, 199, 289
Residence of, 289
Society, The, 327,331, 348
Port, 331
Close, Netherbow, 258
Somerset, Duke of, 61, 52
Somerville, Lord, 115, 235
Bartholomew, 160, 339
Peter, 160, 339
West Port, 291
Alexander, 140
Sir John, Provost, 164, 168, 281
South Foulis Close, 269
Speir, Thomas, 171
Spence, Thomas, Bishop of Aberdeen, 352
Lucky, 307
Spottiswood, Archbishop, Mansion of, 253
Spynie, Lord, 315
Stair, Earl of, 141, 346
John, Superintendent of Lothian,‘253
Viscount, 153, 345
Countess of, 163, 316
Stair’s Close, Lady. See Lady Stair
StanBeld, Sir James, 275
Stevenlaw’s Close, 246
Stevenson, John, Advocate, 210
Stewart, Lord James, 53, 60, 64, 65, 67, 70, 72
Robert, Abbot of Holyrood, 354
Sir John, 163
Sir James, Brother of Earl of Arran, 176
Sir William, slain in Blackfriara’ Wynd, 176
Sir James, Lord Advocate, 178, 229
Professor, Sir Robert, 143
Alexander, younger of Garlieg 136
Lady Bwbara, 285
Lady Margaret, 285
Stinking Style, 29, 198, 451
Close, Weet Bow, 337, 340, 341
Stirling, 61, 57
Castle, 17
Field of, 21, 23
Stirling, Earl of, 133, 286
Stockbridge, Village of, 313
Stonefield, Lord, 269
Stoney Sunday, 91
Stowell, Lord, 162
Straton, David, burnt at Greenside, 411
Strichen, Lord, 262
Strichen’s Close, 261
Stuart, Lord Robert, 75
Baron, 325
St Andrew’s, City of, 61
Church, Castlehill, 143
Chapel, Carrubber’s Cloae, 252
Square, 229, 329,376
Archbishop of, 27
Port, Leith Wynd, 854
St Anne’s Park, 309
St Anthoqy, Preceptory of, Leith, 64,66,412
St Anthony’s Port, Leith, 64, 368
Hospital of, 358
Aisle, St Qilea’s Church, 889
Chapel, 412
St Bernard’s Well, 98
St Cuthbert’s Church, 4, 111, 310, 374,393, 414
St David Street, 162, 376
St Eloi’s Chapel, St Giles’s Church, 387
St Glee, 73,377
St Giles’s Church, 10, 12, 16, 27, 28, 40, 69, 60, 63,
64, 72, 78, 82, 87, 89, Q7, 100, 203,
Yard, 169
Statue of, 59, 60, 61, 3S2
409, 377-394
Ground Plan of, 450
Yard, 96, 204, 330, 451
Day, 60, 163
St James’s Chapel, Newhaven, 368
St John, Knights of, 167, 289
St John’s Cross, 82, 222, 276, 288
Church, on the Borough Moor, 416, 417
Hill, 313
Close, Canongate, 288
Street, 288
St Katherine of Sienna, Convent of, 331, 417
St Katherine’s Balm Well, 418, 445
Gate, Castle, 132
Chapel, St Giles5 Church, 378,884
St Leonard‘s, 94, 313, 442
St Magdalene’s Chapel and Hospital, 400
St Wargaret, 3, 5, 123,129, 377, 418
St Margaret’s W-ell, 399
Well, Castle, 3, 85, 132
Chapel, in the Castle, 127
Convent, 298
Day, 44
St Mary’s Church, Leith, 52, 66, 128, 354, 413
Chapel, West Port, 136, 115
Abbey, York, Ancient Fireplace, 146
Chapel, Niddry’s Wynd, 278, 311
Bell, St Gilea’s Church, 394
Port, 312
Wynd, 7, 73, 83, 278, 311
St Mary, Churches and Chapels dedicated to, 311
St Nicolas, Hospital and Chapel of, Leith, 97, 366 ... Beorge, 3d Lord, 416, 417 Qeorge, 6th Lord, 48 Shakespeare, 286 Sharpe, Archbishop, 101,192, ...

Book 10  p. 509
(Score 0.58)

L UCKENBOOTHS AND PARLIAMENT CLOSE. I97
Bow, . . the buildings on each side of the way being all of squared stone, five,
six, and seven stories high.” When I came first into the High Street,” says another
traveller, writing more than a century after him, ‘‘ I thought I had never seen anything
of the kind more magn3cent.” Gradually, however, the traveller learned, from his
civic entertainers, to mingle suggestions of improvement with his admiration. ‘‘ You
have seen,” says Topham, writing from Edinburgh in 1776, “the famous street at
Lisle, la Rue Royale, leading to the port of Tournay, which is said to be the finest in
Europe, but which, I can assure you, is not to be compared either in length or breadth
to the High Street at Edinburgh.” He adds, however, ‘‘ would they be at the expense
of removing some buildings which obstruct the view, nothing could be conceived .
more magnificent.’’ ’ Similar remarks might be quoted from later travellers ; we shall
only add that of our greatest living landscape painter, k n e r , expressed since the removal
of the Luckenbooths, that ‘‘ the old High Street of Edinburgh was only surpassed in
Europe by that of Oxford” Imposing as the effect of the High Street still is,-
although scarcely a year passes without the loss of some one or other of its ancient and
characteristic features,-we doubt if its broad and unencumbered thoroughfare will ever
again meet with the praise that it received from travellers who had to pass through the
narrow defile of the Purses, or thread their way along by the still more straitened
Krames that clung on to the old church walls. So far as picturesque effect is concerned,
this improvement very much resembles a reform effected of late years in Salisbury
Cathedral. An ancient screen which divided the Lady Chapel from the choir had long
been an eyesore to certain men of taste, who found in the glimpses of the little chapel
that they caught beyond, far too much left to their imagination. It was accordingly
demolished, under the direction of Mr Jamea Wyatt, when, to their surprise, much of the
rich effect of the chapel vanished along with the screen, and they began to think that it
might have been a part of the original designer’s intention to conceal the plain shafts of
the pillars, while their capitals, and the rich groinings of the roof, alone appeared. We
strongly suspect our city reformers fancied that every bit of the old church which the
Luckenbooths concealed was to disclose features as rich as the fine Gothic crown they
saw towering over the chimney-tops.’
The ancient buildings that occupied the middle of the High Street, between the
Tolbooth and the Cross, formed a range of irregular and picturesque lands, nearly all
with timber fronts and lofty peaked gables projecting into the street. Through one of
these, an alley, sometimes called the Old-Kirk Style, led from the head of Advocates’
Close to the old north porch of St Giles’s Church, obliterated in the remodelling of that
venerable edifice. This ancient alley is alluded to by the name it generally received
to the last in Dunbar’s Address to the Merchants of Edinburgh, written about the year
Letters from the North of Scotland, 1754.
Topham’s Lettem, p. 8. There is an amusing tendency in many-minds to regard every near object aa obstructing
the &U, without the least consideration of what liea beyond it. We heard lately of an English lady, who, on her arrival
in Edinburgh, took up her abode in fashionable lodgings at the west end of Princea Street. On B friend inquiring how
she liked the proapect from her window, she replied, that the view would really be very fine, were it not for that great
castle standing in the way I
The chief ornament of Edinburgh is St Giles’s Church, a magnificent Gothic pile, the beauties of which are almost
wholly concealed by the Louses in ita near neighbourhood, particularly the Luckenbooths, which, it is expted, will
shortly be pulled down.”-Campbell’s Journey, 1802, rol. 5. p. 125.
a ... UCKENBOOTHS AND PARLIAMENT CLOSE. I97 Bow, . . the buildings on each side of the way being all of squared stone, ...

Book 10  p. 216
(Score 0.58)

vi CONTENTS,
no.
VIII. ARMORIAL BEARINGS,
18. THE RESTORATION. BURNINQ OF CROMWELL, THE POPE, Emay -
X. WEST BOW. MAJOR WEIR, .
XI. OLD BANK CLOBE. ASSASSINATION OF SIR QEORQE LOCRHART BY CHIESLEY OF DALRy,
XII. SIR DAVID LINDSAY, .
XIIL UMFRAVILLE’S CROSS,
XIV. QREYFRIARS’ MONASTERY, .
XVI. ST KATHERINE’S WELL,
XV. THE WHITEFRIARS’ MONABTERY, .
XVII. CLAUDERO, . 0 . .
XVIIL ST BILES‘S CHURCH, ,
. c
XIX. ANClENT LODGINQB, .
XX. THE PILLORY,
PAW
, 435
. 436
. 438
. 440
, 442
. 442
. 443
. 444
. 445
. 445
. 450
. 452
. 454 ... CONTENTS, no. VIII. ARMORIAL BEARINGS, 18. THE RESTORATION. BURNINQ OF CROMWELL, THE POPE, Emay - X. WEST ...

Book 10  p. viii
(Score 0.58)

-
which it belonged, and annexed to Restalrig. It
stood on high ground, where its ancient square
belfry tower, four storeys in height, was a very
conspicuous object among a group of old trees,
long after the church itself bad passed away, till
it was blown down by a storm in November, 1866.
The effigy of a knight, with hands clasped, in a
full suit of armour, lay amid the foundations of the
old church as lately as 1855.
Tradition avers the tower had been occasionally
Great quantities of fruit, vegetables, and daily
produce are furnished by Lasswade for the city
markets. Save where some primitive rocks rise
up in the Pentland quarter of the parish, the whole
of its area lies upon the various secondary formations,
including sandstone, clays of several kinds,
and a great number of distinct coal-seams, with
their strata of limestone.
On the western side of the Esk the metals stand
much on edge, having a dip of 6 5 O in some
the manse previously in 1.789,
In the burying-ground are interred the first Lord
Melville and his successors.
Lasswade has long been celebrated for the excellence
of its oatmeal, the reputation of which,
through Lord Melville, reached George 111. and
Queen Charlotte, whose family were breakfasted
upon it during childhood, the meal being duly
? sent to the royal household by a miller of the
village, named Mutter.
surmounted its west gable. The vault, or tomb,
hundred and seventy feet.
On the eastern side of the Esk the metals have
a dip so small-amounting to only I in 7 or 8
-that the coal seams, in contradistinction to the
edge-coals, as they are called on the west side,
have obtained the name of ?flat broad coals.?
One of the mines on the boundary of Liberton
was ignited by accident about the year 1770, and
for upwards of twenty years resisted fiercely every
effort made to extinguish its fire. Besides furable
coal seams are twenty-five in number, an8 ... it belonged, and annexed to Restalrig. It stood on high ground, where its ancient square belfry tower, ...

Book 6  p. 358
(Score 0.58)

YAMES l? TO ABDICATION OF QUEEN MARK 59
This year also is the period of John Knox's return to Scotland. On his escape from
France-whither he had been carried a prisoner, after the taking of the Castle of St
Andrews-he had remained in England till the death of Edward VI., whence he went for
a time to Geneva. Immediately on his return to Scotland, he began preaching against
the mass, as an idolatrous worship, with such effect that he was summoned before the
ecclesiastical judicatory, held in the Blackfriars' Church in Edinburgh, on the 15th of
May 1556. The case, however, was not pursued at the time, probably from apprehension
of a popular tumult; but the citation had the usual effect of increasing his popularity;
" and it is certain," says Bishop Keith, '' that Mr -Knox preached to a greater auditory
the very day he should have made his appearance, than ever he did before."' At this
time it was that the letter was written by him to the Queen Regent, entreating for
reformation in the Church, which, on its being delivered to her by the Earl of Glencairn,
she composedly handed it to the Archbishop of Glasgow, after glancing at it, saying-
" Please y-o.u , my Lord, to look at a pasquill I "-a striking contrast to the influence he
afterwards exercised over her royal daughter.' No sooner had John Knox accepted an
invitation, which he received that same year, from an English congregation at Geneva,
than the clergy cited him anew before them, and in default of his appearance, he was
condemned as an heretic, and burned in effigy at the Cross of Edinburgh.
Towards the close of the year 1555, the City of Edinburgh gave a sumptuous
entertainment to the Danish Ambassador, at the expense of twenty-five pounds, seventeen
shillings, and one penny Scots I doubtless a magnificent civic feast in those days.' About
this time, the Queen Regent, acting under the advice of her French councillors, excited
the general indignation of the Scottish nobility and people in general, by a scheme for
raising a standing army, to supersede the usual national force, composed of the nobles
and their retainers, and which was to be supported by a tax imposed on every man's
estate and substance. Numerous private assemblies of the barons and gentlemen took
place to organise a determined opposition to the scheme ; and at length three hundred of
them assembled in the Abbey Church of Holyrood, and despatched the Lairds of Calder
and Wemyss to the Queen Regent and her council, with so resolute a remonstrance, that
the Queen was fain to abandon the project, and thought them little worthy of thanks that
were the inventors of what proved a fertile source of unpopularity to her government'
The contentions arising from differences in religion now daily increased, and the populace
of the capital were among the foremost to manifest their zeal against the ancient faith.
In the year 1556, they destroyed the statues of the Virgin Mary, Trinity, and St Francis,
in St Giles's Church, which led to a very indignant remonstrance from the Queen Regent,
addressed to the magistrates ; but they do not seem to have been justly chargeable with
sympathy in such reforming movements, as we find the council of that same year, in
addition to other marks of honour conferred on the Provost, ordering that for his greater
state, the servants of all the inhabitants shall attend him, with lighted torches, from the
vespers or evening prayers, to his house.6
On the breaking out of war between England and France, in 1557, the Queen Regent,
.
1 Bishop Keith's History, vol. i. p. 150.
8 Council Registers, Maitland, p. 14.
Calderwood's Historp, Wodrow Soc., voL i. p. 316.
Bishop Leslie'n Hist., p. 255.
Maitland, p. 14. ... l? TO ABDICATION OF QUEEN MARK 59 This year also is the period of John Knox's return to Scotland. On ...

Book 10  p. 64
(Score 0.58)

466 MENORIALS OF EDINBURGH.
Kennedy’s Close, High Street, 247
Benneth III., 246
Ker of Fawdonside, 76
Elligrew, Henry, Ambassador of Queen Elizabeth, 183
Killor, a Black Friar, burnt, 44
Kilravock, 192
Bincaid, Provost, 199
Hincardine, Countese of, 166
King’s Head Inn, Cowgate, 330
Pillar, St Giles’s Church, 381
Stables, 23, 135-137
Work, Leith, 363
Kinloch, Henry, 284
Kinloch’s Close, 251
Kinnoul, William, 3d Earl of, 216
Kintore, John, 3d Earl of, 228
Kirkaldy, Sir William, 82, 84, 85, 121, 136, 174, 182,
Canongate, 284
348,389
James, 85
Kirkgate, Leith, 64, 358
Kirkheugh, 207, 208
Kirkliston Church, 129
Kirk-of-Field, 14, 63, 78, 321, 397
Kirkpatrick, William, of Allisland, 179
Knolls, Sir William, Preceptor of Torphichen, 352
Bnox, John, 53, 69, 62, 68, 69, 70, 76, S3, 206, 320,
Sir Fhomaa, of Closeburn, 390 -
389
House of, Netherbow, 257
Krames, The, 200
Lacrok, Monsieur, French dmbassador, 357,415
Lady Stair’s Close, 141, 163
Stepe, St Giles’e Church, 201
Lovat’a Land, 262
Yester’s Church, 96, 105, 429, 430
Lady’s Aisle, St Giles’s Church, 382, 383
Altar, 383
Niche, 201
Walk, Leith, 368
Wynd, 136
Lambert, General, 97
Lamb’s Ale House, Parliament Close, 211
Lancaster, Duke of, 12
Lancashire, Tom, the Comedian, 236
Lands, 138
(. Lauder, Sir Alexander, of Blyth, 386
Sir John. See Fountainhall, Lord
Bishop, 319
Lauderdale, Duke of, 235
John, 2d Earl of, 102
Charles, 3d Earl of, 209, 298
Countess of, 294
Laurieston, 87
Law of Laurieston, John, 308
Lawnmarket, 157-183,334
Lawson, James, 170
Lawsoun, Richard, 32
Leather Market, 207
Lee, Sir Richard, carries of the Brazen Font of Holy-
Club, 157
rood Abbey, 406
Leith, 23, 60, 62, 63, 81, 97, 866-888
Links, 93,104
Walk, 851
Wynd, 44, 66, 82,123, 278,279,362,863
Church, South. See St Mary’r
Church, North. See St Ninkn‘c
Leiths, Ancient Family of, 356
Lekprevik, Robert, the Printer, 376
Leland, Piers, 6
Lennox, John, 3d Earl of, 40
Matthew, 4th Earl of, 49, 82,277, 362
Lndovic, 2d Duke of, 223
Isabell, Countess of, 382
Leo x., Pope, 26
Lepers, Hospital for, 371,411
Leelie, General, 94, 353, 355, 373
Lethington, 174
Leven, David, Sd Earl of, 144
David, 6th Earl of, 242
Libberton’s Wynd, 164,180,328
Liberton, 4
Lighting of the Streets, First, 67
Lindisfarn, Bishop of, 12, 377
Lindorea, the Clock of the Abbey Church of, put up in
St Qiles’s Steeple, 394
Lindeay, Lord, 205, 215
Sir David, 38, 39, 41, 42, 45, 66, 62,152, 383,
Sir Dav;d, Younger, 89
Bernard, of Lochill, 364
Lady, 174
442
Linlithgow, 47
Lion’s Den, 131
Little, Clement, 169, 170, 171
Little Jack’s Close, 291
Livingaton, Bishop, 320
Earl of, 309
William, 169,171
Lord, 63
Sir Archibald, 15
Vicar of, 143
Mary, 144
Livingstone’a Yardg 136
Lochaber Axe, 248
Lochart’e court, 89
Lochend, 23
’ Lockhart, Sir George, Lord President, 178,440
George, “ Union Lockhart,” 241
Robert, 349
Sir Robert, 367, 399, 412
Logan of Restalrig, 362
‘
Long Gait, 123, 452
Lord Cullen’e Close, 171
Lorn, Lord, 294
Lorraine, May of, 43. See &he, Nay of
Lothian Road, 137.
Loadon, Earl of, 180,216,295,326
Loughborough, Lord Chancellor, 269
Lounger, The, 200
Lovat, Lady, 262
Lowrie, John, 344
Luckenbootha, 116,172,196, 228
Hut, 301 ... MENORIALS OF EDINBURGH. Kennedy’s Close, High Street, 247 Benneth III., 246 Ker of Fawdonside, ...

Book 10  p. 505
(Score 0.57)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 395
In private life, and especially at the convivial board, Lord Hermand was
“ The prince of goad fellows and king of old men.”
He possessed a rich store of amusing stories, and a vein of humour peculiar to
himself, which never failed to render his company entertaining and much courted,
especially by the junior members of the profession. His personal appearance
was no less striking, particularly in his latter years. Age had rendered his
features more attenuated ; but the vivacity of his countenance, and the expression
of his powerful grey eyes, defied the insidious hand of time. His dress
also partook of the peculiarities of his character ; and, on the streets of Edinburgh,
it would have puzzled a stranger to decide whether the lawyer or farmer
most predominated in his appearance. His deep “ rig-and-fur,” black-andwhite-
striped woollen stockings, and stout shoes, at once denoted that he had
other avocations than those of the Parliament House. Like most of the old
lawyers, he was an enthusiastic agriculturist, and always spent his vacations
among his fields at Hermand, which he improved with much skill and at considerable
expense.‘
We have heard several anecdotes illustrative of his lordship’s rustic habits
during the vacation. He had a large Newfoundland dog, named Dobhin, which
used to accompany him on all his excursions-even to the church on Sundays.
There the sagacious animal, seated beside his master, with his immense paws
placed on the book-board, would rest his head as calmly and doucely as any
sleepy farmer in the congregation. So much did this church-going propensity
grow upon the animal, that, in the absence of his master, he regularly went
himself; and what was still more extraordinary, if there happened to be no
sermon in the parish church, he was liberal enough to attend the dissenting
meeting-house. Lord Hermand generally walked with a cane in his hand, to
which he had a kind of bill-hook affixed, for the purpose of switching down any
obnoxious weed he might find in his rambles. One Sunday, as he and Dolphin
were proceeding as usual to West Calder, his lordship found so many weeds to
cut down on his way through the policies, that by the time he emerged from the
avenue he found the people returning from church. “ Dear me ! is’t a’ ower
time ceased, and the macer informed his lordship that the peixon had escaped, The Judge was
indignant at this ; but not being able to make a better of it, the trial proceeded, when, in about halfau-
hour, sounds of music again caught the ears of the Court. “ Is he there again ?” exclaimed his
lordship “ By all that’s sacred, he ehall not escape me this time ; fence, bolt, bar the doors of the
Court j and, at your peril, let a man, living or dead, escape.” All was now bustle, uproar, and confusion
; but the search was equally vain as before. His lordship, who had lived not long after the
days of witchcraft, began to imagine that the sound was something more than earthly, and exclaimed,
“This is a deceptio aud; it is absolute delusion, necromancy, phantasmagoria ;” and to the hour of
hiu death, nwer understood what had occasioned the annoyance that day to the Court.
His lordship was a keen adherent of the Pitt administration. When the “talents” were ejected,
the news reached him on his way to the Parliament House ; and, whilst going along the Mound, which
at the time had its usual array of caravans, containing wild beasts, he, totally forgetful of where he
was, exclaimed aloud-“ They are o u b b y the L-d, they are all out, every mother’s son of them.”
A lady who was passing at the time, thinking these ejaculations applicable to the wild beasts, to his
utter amazement, seized him in her arms, screaming oud“Good God, we shall then be all
devoured.” ... SKETCHES. 395 In private life, and especially at the convivial board, Lord Hermand was “ The ...

Book 8  p. 550
(Score 0.57)

Maitland granting a charter to Robert Winton
?of the barony of Hirdmanston, called Curry.?
(Robertson?s Index to Missing Charters.?)
The present bridge of Currie is said to be above
five hundred years old j and the dark pool below
gave rise to the Scottish proverb concerning intense
cunning-? Deep as Currie Brig.?
Currie Church was an outpost of Corstorphine,
and, with Fzla, fomied part of the property given
by Mary of Gueldres to the Trinity College.
NIDDRIE HOUSE.
?? Mr. Adam Letham, minister of Currie, 1568-76,
to be paid as follows: his stipend jc li, with the
Kirkland of Curry. Andrew Robeson, Reidare
(Reader at Curry; his stipend xx lb., but (it.,
without) Kirkland?
After the Reformation there was sometimes only
In the seventeenth century, Mathew Leighton,
nephew of the famous Archbishop of Glasgow, a
prelate of singular piety and benevolence, was
, one minister for four or five parishes.
It was a benefice of the Archdean of Lothian.
Even so late as the reign of Charles I., it does
not appear to have been considered a separate
parish from Corstorphine, for no mention is made of
it in the royal decree for the brief erection of the
see of Edinburgh, though all the adjoining parishes
are noticed.
Till within a few years, ironjougs hung at the
north gate of Currie Churchyard, at Hermiston
(which is a corruption of Herdmanstown), at Malleny,
and at Buteland, near Balerno.
Currie was one of the first rural places in Scotland
which had a Protestant clergyman, as appears
from the Register of Ministers,? published by the
Maitland Club :-
curate of Currie during the reign of Episcopacy ;
and, singular to say, was not expelled from his
incumbency at the Revolution in the year 1688,
but died at an advanced age, and was interred in
the church-yard, where his tomb is still an object
of interest.
The parsonage of Currie is referred to in an Act of
Parliament, under JamesVI., in 1592; and Nether
Currie is referred to in another Act, of date 1587,
granted in favour of Mark, Lord Newbattle.
Cleuchmaidstone is so named from being the
pass to the chapel of St. Katherine in the valley
below, and having a spring, in which, it is said,
pilgrims bathed before entering it.
Some parts of the parish are very elevated. ... granting a charter to Robert Winton ?of the barony of Hirdmanston, called Curry.? (Robertson?s Index to ...

Book 6  p. 332
(Score 0.57)

ECCLESIASTICAL ANTIQUITIES. 393
Externally, the recent alterations, though greatly injuring the Old Church in some parts,
and particularly in its 8out.h front towards the Parliament Close, have effected decided
improvements on others. Many of the buttresses had been injured or entirely removed to
make way for the booths erected against its walls, and most of the mullions and tracery of
the windows had disappeared, and been replaced by clumsy wooden sashes. In the year
1561 the western wall wm rebuilt by order of the Town CounciL It is probable that this
part of the building was originally characterised by the usual amount of ornament lavished
on the west fronts of cathedrals and collegiate churches, as canopied niches, gurgoils, and
other fragments of ornate ecclesiastical architecture were scattered in an irre,plar manner
throughout the rude masonry. When it was rebuilt, however, it was no doubt hemmed in
with buildings as it remained till 1809, so that there was little inducement to erect anything
more than a. substantial wall. Here, therefore, the architect found a fair field for
the exercise of his genius, and the result is at any rate an improvement on what preceded
it. The east end is also improved externally by the addition of buttressea, though at the
sacrifice of ‘‘ our ladie’s niche ; ” and the new work preserves an exact fac-simile of the
tracery of the great east window. On the north side of the choir the monument of the
Napier family forms a conspicuous and interesting feature, though recent investigations by
the late Professor Wallace are generally received as a confutation of the tradition that it
marks the tomb of the illustrious Inventor of Logarithms.’ It is exceedingly probable
that this monument indicates the site of St Salvator’s altar, to the chaplain of which
Archibald Napier of Merchiston, in 1494, mortified an annual rent of twenty merks out of
a tenement near the College Kirk of the Holy Trinity.’
The present graceful Crown Tower of St Giles’s, which forms so striking a feature not
only of the church but of the town, dates no further back th& the year 1648, when it was
rebuilt on the model of the older tower, which had then fallen iato decay. Of the four
bells, which seem to have formed the whole complement of the belfry in early times,
one, which bore the name of St May’s Bell, was taken down at the same time that St
Giles’s arm bone was cast forth aa a relic of superstition, and ‘‘ with the brazen pillars in
Archaeologia Scotica, vol. iv. p. 213 j where evidence is produced, derived from the writings of James Hume of
Qodscroft, a contemporary of Napier, to show that he was buried in St Cuthbert’s Church. The question, however, s t i l l
admits of doubt He remarks of the
Inventor of Logarithms :-“ I1 mourut l’an 1616, et fut e n t e d hors la Porte Occidentale d‘Edinbourg, dans l’Eglise
de Sainct Cudbert.” In this statement the wrong year is assigned for hb death, and other pasaages show that the
author was at least personally unacquainted with the Scottish philosopher. The stone in St Qilea’s Church is, after all,
the best evidence. But it is
surmounted with the arms and crest of Merchiston, along with the Wrychtishousis shield. The recent biographer of
Napier remarks (Mems. of Napier of Merchiston, by Mark Napier, Esq., p. 425), “ The stone has every appearance of
being much older than the time of the philosopher.” To us, however, it appears quite in the style of that period, the
best evidence of which is ita close resemblance to that of the rare title-page of the firat edition of the Logarithm4
published nt Edinburgh by Andrew Hart, A.D. 1614, a fac-simile of which adorns that interesting volume of biography.
The close intimacy between the Napiers of Merchiston and Wrychtishousis had been cemented by an alliance in 1513.
Its continuation in the time of the philosopher is shown by an application from his neighbour for a seat or d a k adjoining
his in the Parish Church of St Cuthbert, $0 that their possession of a common place of sepulture at the period of
his death is extremely probable. Add to this, the unvarying traditions among the descendants of Napier, as we are
assured by his biographer, all pointing to the Collegiate Church of St Oiles as the burial-place of the philosopher, where
his ancestors had founded a chantry, most probably above their own vault. Further evidence may yet be discovered
on this subject. The late Rev. Principal Lee informed us, that he possessed an abstract of documents proving the use
of the family vault in St Gilea’s Church at a later date than the death of the philosopher, which adds to the improbability
of hia being buried elsewhere.
Hume’s work, a Treatise‘on Trigonometry, was published at Paris in 1636.
The inscription simply bears :--8 . E . P. FAM . DE NEPEROBUY INTEBIUS HI0 BITUY EST.
Inventar of Piom Donations, M.S. Ad. Lib.
3 D ... ANTIQUITIES. 393 Externally, the recent alterations, though greatly injuring the Old Church in some ...

Book 10  p. 431
(Score 0.57)

The Sciennu.1 CRAIGMILLAR ASYLUM. SI
former, but he could not take it down without pur
chasing the latter also. The garden is supposed
to have extended as far back as the Dalkeith Road
before Minto Street was made.
Summerhall, in the Sciennes quarter, has long
been noted for its brewery. In the dreadful storm
of wind which visited Edinburgh in 1733, we are
told in the Suts Muguzine for that year, that the
ashes from several chimneys set some houses on
fire, among others that of Mr. Bryson the brewer
at Summerhall, and destroyed it, with zoo bolls of
grain.
Clerk Street Chapel was among the many new
churches that have sprung up in this district, where
we now find quite a cluster of them.
The foundation-stone of the former was laid in
1823 ; it was to be a chapel of ease for St. Cuthbert?s
parish, to contain 1,700 persons, and be
named ?Hope Park Chapel.? The steeple is
about 116 feet in height. Newington Free Church,
on the east side of the street, about ohe hundred and
twenty yards farther south, is a spacious building,
erected in 1843, and enlarged afterwards with a
neat Gothic front. Hope Park United Presbyterian
Church is one hundred and fifty yards south-west
of the latter, and was erected in 1867, in lieu of a
relinquished church in the Potterrow ; and Hope
Park Congregational Church was erected in 1876,
at a cost of L6,300, in the French Romanesque
style. St. Peter?s Episcopal Church, with a lofty
square spire, stands in Lutton Place, about one
hundred and forty yards south-east of Newington
Free Church.
. In No. 26 South Clerk Street is the Edinburgh
Literary Institute, built in 1870, and improved five
years subsequently. It contains a large hall for
lectures and concerts, and has a reading-room,
library, and several class-rooms. It is managed by
a president and twenty-four directors, with finance,
lecture, and library committees. The library contains
considerably over zo,ooo volumes, and in
the news and reading rooms are to be found the
whole serial literature of the day.
The Mayfield Loan, a continuation of the
Grange Loan, intersects Newington from east to
west. During the last century there were but two
small manor-houses here, known respectively as
East and West Mayfield Houses. The latter was
only swept away a few years ago, after being long
a wayside inn, when Mayfield Street was formed.
In the West Loan we find Mayfield Free Church
and Hall, in the early Gothic style, opened about
the end of 1876, and designed to become a large
cruciform edifice, with a steeple 150 feet high.
A little way south of this was the hamlet of the
Summerhall is a brewery still.
Powburn, once a favourite summer residence for
citizens. It gave the title of baronet to a Sir
James Keith in 1663; the title is now extinct.
But a hundred years afterwards we find advertised
as to let ?The Powburn House, pleasantly situated
a little from the Grangegate Toll Bar, with
coach-house and four-stalled stable,? &c (Edinburgh
Advertiser, Vol. I.)
Here has now been erected on rising ground the
West Craigmillar Asylum for Blind Females, one of
the many noble charities which do such honour to
Edinburgh. It stands amid an ornamental plot of
four acres; was founded in April, 1874, and completed
three years afterwards, at a cost of L13,ooo.
It consists of a main body and wings in a light
French style of architecture. The front elevation
is 160 feet long; the main block is three storeys
high, with a porticoed entrance, and is surmounted
by a clock-tower 80 feet in height. Each wing
has a French roof, designed in a manner to enhance
the appearance of this tower.
The reception-hall is circular, with a diameter
of I I I feet ; there are two work-rooms, each 72 feet
by 20 ; adining-hall, 115 feet long, with a roof about
24 feet high of open timber work. This noble
edifice has superseded both the asylum for blind
female adults in Nicolson Street, and that for blind
female children in Gayfield Square, and accomniodates
150 inmates.
Newington consists almost entirely of lines of
handsome villas, bordering spacious thoroughfares,
and contains the houses in which the Rev. Dr.
Thomas hlcCrie, the Rev. Dr. John Brown, and
the Rev. Dr. William Cunningham, lived and died.
House property, principally in villas, throughout
the southern suburbs eastward of the Burghmuirhead,
was erected in the few years ending 1877, to
the value of A1,358,550.
Mayfield Established Church was at firs?t only a
temporary iron erection, facing Craigmillar Park,
but in 1877 was superseded by a stone structure
which cost about L5,ooo.
The most ancient edifices that stood in the
Newington district of Edinburgh were the Chapel
of St. John the Baptist, on the eastern verge of
the Burghmuir, and the Convent of St. Katharine
of Scienna, which gave its name to the suburb now
named the Sciennes.
The former was long a solitary chaplaincy,
founded and endowed, towards the close of the
reign of James IV., by Sir John Crawford, a canon
of St. Giles?s Church ; ?? and portions of the ruins,?
says Wlson, ?are believed still to form part of
the garden wall of a hocse on the west side of
Newington, called Sciennes Hall.? There a species ... Sciennu.1 CRAIGMILLAR ASYLUM. SI former, but he could not take it down without pur chasing the latter also. ...

Book 5  p. 51
(Score 0.57)

138 - OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [West Church.
mode of procedure, made no resistance; and so
.active were the workmen that before sunset the
road was sufliciently formed to allow the bettor to
drive his carriage triumphantly over it, which he
did amidst the acclamations ofa great multitude of
persons, who flocked from the town to witness the
-issue of this extraordinary undertaking. Among
-the instances of temporary distress occasioned to
-the inhabitants, the most laughable was that of a
-poor simple woman who had a cottage and small
cow-feeding establishment upon the spot. It ap-
.pears that this good creature had risen early, as
usiial, milked her cows, smoked her pipe, taken
her ordinary matutinal tea, and lastly, recollecting
that she had some friends invited to dine kith her
cupon sheep-head and kail about noon, placed the
pot upon the fire, in order that it might simmer
peaceably till she should return from town, where
she had to supply a numerous set of customers with
the produce of her dairy. Our readers may judge
the consternation of this poor woman when, upon
her return from the duties of the morning, she
found neither house, nor byre, nor cows, nor fire,
nor pipe, nor pot, nor anything that was here
upon the spot where she had left them but a few
hours before. All had vanished, like the palace of
Aladdin, leaving not a wrack behind.?
Such was the origin of that broad and handsome
street which now leads to where the Castle Barns
:stood of old.
The Kirkbraehead House was demolished in
1869, when the new Caledonian Railway Station
was formed, and with it passed away the southern
portion of the handsome modern thoroughfare
named Rutland Street, and several other structures
.in the vicinity of the West Church.
Of these the most important was St. George?s
Free Church, built in 1845, at the north-east corner
.of Cuthbert?s Lane, the line of which has since been
turned into Rutland Street, in obedience to the
inexorable requirements of the railway.
During its brief existence this edifice was alone
famous for the ministrations of the celebrated Rev.
Robert Candlish, D.D., one of the most popular of
Scottish preachers, and one of the great leaders of
the ? Non Intrusion ? party during those troubles
-which eventually led to the separation of the
.Scottish Church into two distinct sections, and the
establishment of that Free Kirk to which we shall
have often to refer. He was born about the commencement
of the century, in 1807, and highly
aegarded as a debater. He was author of an
.?Exposition of the Book of Genesis,? works on
4? The Atonement,? ?6 The Resurrection,? ? Life of
a Risen Saviour,? and other important theological
books. In 18Gr he was Moderator of the Free
Church Assembly.
The church near St. Cuthbert?s was designed by
the late David Cousin in the Norman style of
architecture, and the whole edifice, which was
highly ornate, after being carefully taken down, was
re-constructed in its own mass in Deanhaugh Street,
Stockbridge, as a free church for that locality.
While the present Free St. George?s in Maitland
Street was in course of erection, Dr. Candlish
officiated to his congregation in the Music Hall,
George Street. He died, deeply regretted by them
and by all classes, on the 19th of October, 1873.
The next edifice of any importance demolished
at the time was the Riding School, with the old
Scottish Naval and Military Academy, so long
superintended byan old officer of the Black Watch,
and well-known citizen, Captain, John Orr, who
carried one of the colours of his regiment at
Waterloo. It was a plain but rather elegant Grecian
edifice, under patronage of the Crown, for train-,
ing young men chiefly for the service of the royal
and East India Company?s services, and to all the
ordinary branches of education were added fortification,
military drawing, gundrill, and military
exercises; but just about the time its site was
required by the railway the introduction of a
certain amount of competitive examination at military
colleges elsewhere rendered the institution
unnecessary, though Scotland is certainly worthy
of a military school of her own. Prior to its extinction
the academy sufficed to send more than a
thousand young men as officers into the army,
many of whom have risen to distinction in every
quarter of the globe.
The new station of the Caledonian Railway,
which covered the sites of the buildings mentioned,
and with its adjuncts has a frontage to the Lothian
Road of 1,100 feet (to where it abuts upon the
United Presbyterian Church) by about 800 feet at
its greatest breadth, forms a spacious and handsome
terminus, erected at the cost of more than it;~o,ooo,
succeeding the more temporary station at first
projected on the west side of the Lothian Road,
about half a furlong to the south, andivhich was
cleared and purchased at an enormous cost. It is
a most commodious structure, with a main front
103 feet long and zz feet high, yet designed only
for temporary use, and is intended to give place to
a permanent edifice of colossal proportions and
more than usual magnificence, with a great palatial
hotel to acljoin it, according to the custom now so
common as regards great railway termini. ... - OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [West Church. mode of procedure, made no resistance; and so .active were the workmen ...

Book 3  p. 138
(Score 0.57)

ECCLESIASTICAL ANTIQUITIES. 399
charter of James IV., dated a few months before the Battle of modden, the Abbots of
Holyrood and Newbottle are empowered to erect into a new prebendary the chapelry of
St Triduan’s aisle, founded in the Collegiate Church of Restalrig by James Bishop of Ross.
The existence both of the church and parish at the death of Alexander III. is proved
by various charters. In 1291, Adam of St Edmunds, parson of Lestalric, obtained a
writ to the Sheriff of Edinburgh to put him in possession of his lands and rights ; and the
same ecclesiastic swore fealty to Edward in 1296.l The portion of the choir now remaining
cannot date earlier than the fourteenth century, and is much plainer jhan might be expected
in a church enriched by the contributions of three successive monarchs, and the resort of
so many devout pilgrims, as to excite the special indignation of one of the earliest assemblies
of the Kirk as a monument of idolatry. An ancient crypt or mausoleum of an octangular
form and of large dimensions, stands on the south side of the church. It is constructed
internally with c1 groined roof springing from a single pillar in the centre ; and is still
more beautifully adorned externally with some venerable yews that have taken root in the
soil accumulated on its roof. This ancient mausoleum is believed to have been erected by
Sir Robert Logan of Restalrig, knight, in the earlier part of the sixteenth century: and
has evidently been constructed on the model of St Margaret’s Well, which still stands in
its neighbourhood. It afterwards became the property of the Lords Balmerinoch, and on
their forfeiture in 17’46 it passed to the Earls of Bute, whose property it now remains. In
the year 1560 the Assembly, by a decree dated December 21, ‘‘ finds that the ministrie of
the word and sacraments of God, and assemblie of the peiple of the whole parochin of
Restalrig, be within the Kirk of Leith ; and that the Eirk of Restalrig, as a monument of
idolatrie, be raysit and utterly castin doun and destroyed ; ” and eleven years thereafter
we find ita materials taken to build a new port at the Nether Bow.
Not far from the ancient Collegiate Church of Restalrig, on the old road to Holyrood
Abbey, is the beautiful Gothic Well dedicated to St Margaret, the Patron Saint of Scotland.
An octagonal building rises internally to the height of about four and a half feet,
of plain ashlar work, with a stone ledge or seat running round seven of the sides, while the
eighth is occupied by a pointed arch which forms the entrance to the well. From the
centre of the water which fills the whole area of the building, pure aa in the days of the
pious Queen, a decorated pillar rises to the same height as the walls, with grotesque
gurgoils, from which the water has originally been made to flow. Above this springs a
beautiful groined roof, presenting, with the ribs that rise from corresponding corbels at
each of the eight angles of the building, a singularly rich effect when illuminated by the
reflected light from the water below. A few years since this curious fountain stood by the
side of the ancient and little frequented cross-road leading from the Abbey Hill to the .
village of Restalrig. A fine old elder tree, with its knotted and furrowed branches, spread
a luxuriant covering over its grass-grown top, and a rustic little thatched cottage stood in
front oT it, forming altogether a most attractive object of antiquarian pilgrimage. Unhappily,
however, the inexorable march of modern improvement has visited the spot. A station of
the North British Railway now occupies the site of the old elder tree and the rustic cottage ;
a Caledonia, voL ii p. 785.
* “Obitus domini Roberti Logam, militia, donatoris fundi preceptoris Sancti Anthonii pmpe Leith, anno Domini
14%9.”-Obituarg of the Preceptmy of St Anthony. a The Booke of the U n i v e d Kirk, p. 5. ... ANTIQUITIES. 399 charter of James IV., dated a few months before the Battle of modden, the Abbots ...

Book 10  p. 438
(Score 0.57)

I28 MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH. .
In 1595, the following entry occurs in the records of the Presbytery of Edinburgh:-
“Anent the desyre of James Reid, Constable of the Castell of Edinburgh, in effect
craving that, seing thair was ane paroche kirk within the said Castell, command wald be
given to John Brand to baptese the barnis borne in the Castell. The Presbyterie understanding
that the kirk thairof is unreparitt, willis the said Constable to repair the same,
and to dedicatt it for na uther use bot for preiching. Thairefter his desyre sal be
answerit.” Eight years afterwards, it appears, from the same records, that the question of
its being a parish was disputed, and still under discussion, and so it remains even to our
own day. When Maitland wrote, the old church was divided by floors, and converted
into an armoury and storehouse; and soon after his time, it must have been entirely
demolished.
We have been the more careful in describing the site
and general character of the ancient Church of the Castle,
in order to prevent its being confounded with a singularly
curious and interesting ecclesiastical ediiice still remaining
there, immediately to the west of the garrison chapel, the
existence of which seems to have been totally lost sight of.
Its external appearance, though little calculated to excite
attention, leaves little reason to doubt that the original
walls remain. It is still in a tolerably perfect condition,
consisting of a very small building, measuring sixteen
feet six inches, by ten feet six inches within the nave, probably
the smallest, as well as the most ancient chapel in
Scotland. At the east end, there is a neatly carved,,
double, round arch, separating it from a semicircular chancel,
with a plain alcoved ceiling. It is decorated with the
usual Norman- zigzag mouldings, and finished on the
outer side by a border of lozenge-shaped ornaments, the
pattern of which is curiously altered as it approaches the spring of the’ arch. No traces
of ornament are now apparent within the chancel, a portion of the building usually BO
highly decorated, but the space is so small, that the altar, with its customary appendages,
would render any further embellishment immaterial. There have been formerly two
pillars on each side, supporting the arch, with plain double cushion capitals, which still
remain, as well as two of the bases, but the shafts of all the pillars are now wanting, and
the opening of the arch is closed in with a rude brick partition in order to adapt the
chancel to its modern use as a powder magazine. The original windows of the chapel have
all been built up or enlarged, but sufficient remains can be traced to show that they have
been plain, round-headed, and very narrow openinga. The original doorway is also built
up, but may still be seen in the north wall, close to the west end, an arrangement not
unusual in such small chapels, and nearly similar to that at Craigmillar Castle. This
interesting edifice is now abandoned to the same uses as the larger church was in
Wodrow &fisc., vul. i. p. 463.
\’rGNETm-Mouldioga of the Chancel Arch, from the Chapel in the Castle. ... MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH. . In 1595, the following entry occurs in the records of the Presbytery of ...

Book 10  p. 139
(Score 0.56)

38 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [ hlorningside.
reported to the Privy Council that he and the
Napiers of Edinbellie, having quarrelled about the
tiend sheaves of Merchiston, ? intended to convoa
t e their kin, and sic as will do for them in arms:
but to prevent a breach of the peace, William
Napier of the Wrychtishousis, as a neutral person,
was ordered by the Council to collect the sheaves
in question.
In 1614 he produced his book of logarithms,
dedicated to Pripce Charles-a discovery which
made his name famous all over Europe-and on
the 3rd of April, 1617, he died in the ancient tower
of Merchiston. His eldest son, Sir Archibald,
was made a baronet of Nova Scotia by Charles I.,
and in 1627 he was raised to the peerage as
Lord Napier. His lady it was who contrived to
have abstracted the heart of Montrose from the
mutilated body of the great cavalier, as it lay
buried in the place appointed for the interment
of criminals, in an adjacent spot of the Burghmuir
(the Tyburn of Edinburgh). Enclosed in a casket
of steel, it was retained by the family, and underwent
adventures so strange and remarkable that a
volume would be required to describe them.
Merchiston has been for years occupied as a
large private school, but it still remains in possession
of Lords Napier and Ettrick as the cradle of
their old and honourable house.
In 1880, during the formation of a new street on
the ground north of Merchiston, a coffin fornied of
rough stone slabs was discovered, within a few feet
of the surface. It contained the remains of a fullgrown
human being.
Eastward of the castle, and within the park where
for ages the old dovecot stood, is now built Christ?s
Church, belohging to the Scottish Episcopalians. It
was built in 1876-7, at a cost of about cf10,500, and
opened in 1878. It is a beautifully detailed cruciforni
edifice, designed by Mr. Hippolyte J. Blanc,in
the early French-Gothic style, with a very elegant
spire, 140 feet high. From the west gable to the
chancel the nave measures eighty-two feet long and
forty broad ; each transept measures twenty feet by
thirty wide. The height of the church from the
floor to the eaves is twenty feet; to the ridge of
the roof fifty-three feet. The construction of the
latter is of open timber work, with moulded arched
ribs resting on ?? hammer beams,? which, in their
turn, are supported upon red freestone shafts, with
white freestone capitals and bases, boldly and beautifully
moulded.
The chancel presents the novel feature of a
circumambient aisle, and was built at the sole
expense of Miss Falconer of Falcon Hall, at a cost
of upwards of L3,ooo.
Opposite, within the lands of Greenhill, stands
the Morningside Athenmm, which was originally
erected, in 1863, as a United Presbyterian
church, the congregation of which afterwards
removed to a new church in the Chamberlain
Road.
North of the old villa of Grange Bank, and on
the west side of the Burghmuir-head road, stands
the Free Church, which was rebuilt in 1874, and
is in the Early Pointed style, with a fine steeple,
140 feet high. The Established Church of the
quoad sacra parish, disjoined from St. Cuthbert?s
since 1835, stands at the south-west corner of the
Grange Loan (then called in the ?maps, Church
Lane), and was built about 1836, from designs by
the late John Henderson, and is a neat little
edifice, with a plain pointed spire.
The old site of the famous Bore Stone was
midway between this spot and the street now called
Church Hill. In a house-No. r-here, the great
and good Dr. Chalmers breathed his last.
CHAPTER IV.
DISTRICT OF THE BURGHMUIR (cuncZudPd).
Morningside and Tipperlin-Provost Coulter?s Funeral-Asylum for the Insane-Sultana of the Crimea-Old Thorn Tree-The Braids of that
Ilk-The Fairleys of Braid-Thr Plew Lands-Craiglockhart Hall and House-The Kincaids and other Proprietors--John Hill Burton The
Old Tower-Meggathd and Redhall-White House Loan-The bwhite House-St. Margaret?s Convent-Bruntsfield House-The War.
renders4reenhill and the Fairholmes-Memorials of the Chapel of St. Roqw-St. Giles?s Grange-The Dicks and Lauders-Grange
Cemetery-Memorial Churches.
SOUTHWARD of the quarter we. have been describing,
stretches, nearly to the foot of the hills of
Braid and Blackford, Morningside, once a secluded
village, consisting of little more than a row of
thatched cottages, a line of trees, and a blacksmith?s
forge, from which it gradually grevt- to become
an agreeable environ and summer resort of
I the citizens, with the fame of being the ?Montpellier
?? of the east of Scotland, alluring invalids to
its precincts for the benefit of its mild salubrious . air& around what was the old village, now man ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [ hlorningside. reported to the Privy Council that he and the Napiers of Edinbellie, ...

Book 5  p. 38
(Score 0.56)

North Bridge.] LADY GLENORCHY. 361
they dispensed with the ?moderation of the call,?
a form about which they stickle zealously, if by it
they could get a minister presented by the legal
patron to be rejected; while they did not insist
upon the stipend being properly secured ; while
they agreed to permit Lady Glenorchy to dispose
without control, upon those pious offerings which
should have been applied towards the support of
the chanty workhouse; while they, in fact, eluded
that right of patronage over all churches in this city,
the chapel to all the privileges it had enjoyed
by the countenance and protection of the
Presbytery.
In 1776 Lady Glenorchy invited Dr. Thomas
Snell Jones, a Wesleyan Methodist, to accept the
charge of her chapel, and after being ordained to
the office of pastor by the Scottish Presbytery of
London he became settled as incumbent on the
25th of July, 1779, and from that date continued
to labour as such, until about three years before his
holding communion with the Established ministers,
which is vested in the magistrates of Edinburgh ;
and while they had no powver to depose from the
benefice in this chapel the minister installed by
them in case of his errors in life or doctrine !?
To avoid unpleasantness, Mr. Balfour, like Mr.
Grove, declined the charge.
It was now that the matter came before the
Synod, which not only gave judgment in the
matter, but forbade all ministers or probationers
within their bounds to preach in this unlucky
chapel, or to employ the minister of it in any
capacity. From this sentence the Presbytery of
Edinburgh appealed to the next General Assembly
of the Church, which reversed it, and restored
46
death, which occurred on the 3rd of March, 1837,
a period of nearly fiRyeight years.
He preached the funeral sermon on the demise
of Lady Glenorchy on the 17th July, 1786, in
her forty-fourth year. She was buried, by her
own desire, in avault in the centre of the chapel
By a settlement made some time before her death,
she endowed the latter with a school which wac
built near it. Therein, a hundred poor children
were taught to read and write. It was managed
by trustees, with instructions which secure its perpetuity.
Lady Glenorchy?s Free Church schooI is
now at Greenside.
In I 792 Dr. Jones had as a colleague, Dr. Greville
Ewing, afterwards editor of 2?? Missionary ... Bridge.] LADY GLENORCHY. 361 they dispensed with the ?moderation of the call,? a form about which they ...

Book 2  p. 361
(Score 0.56)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES, 341
and Francis for years puzzled his brains in vain to find out the cause of his
extraordinary ill luck in the piscatorial exploits of that eventful day.
He was married, but had no
family. He resided in a house at the Calton Hill, where he died in 1818, his
widow surviving him only a few years. The most of his property was bequeathed
in various sums to the different charities of the city.
Mr. Ronaldson w&s a native of Edinburgh
No. CXXXIX.
REV. ROBERT WALKER,
ONE OF THE MINISTERS OF THE HIGH CHURCH, EDINBURGH.
THIS much esteemed clergyman was for upwards of twenty years a colleague of
the celebrated Dr. Blair, whose memoir has already been given.
MR. WALKERw as born in the Canongate of Edinburgh in 1716, his father
being minister of that parish.' He studied at the University of Edinburgh, and
in 1737 was licensed by the Presbytery of Kirkcudbright. In 1738 he received
a unanimous call to the parish of Straiton, situated within the bounds of the
Presbytery of Ayr, to which he was ordained; and for nearly eight years
continued zealously to discharge the duties of the pastoral office among the
parishioners, by whom he was much beloved and respected. He has been
frequently heard to declare in after life, that he looked back upon the years
passed at Straiton as the most satisfactory period of his life.
From Straiton, in 1746, he was called to the second charge in South Leith.
Being then in the prime of life he appeared in the pulpit to great advantage,
and became very popular. Here he remained till 1754, when he was appointed
to one of the, collegiate charges in the High Church, where he continued during
the remainder of his life.
Mr. Walker maintained a high character, both as a man and as a preacher.
He published two volumes of Sermons,2 which long retained their popularity,
and are yet so much admired by preachers, that, with a few alterations, they
are frequently adopted by some in the pulpit as their own ! With his colleague
Dr. Elair, notwithstanding a difference of opinion on some minor points, he
lived on terms of the closest friendship and intimacy; and although he did not
aspire to the literary fame of that divine, his eloquence as a preacher was not
He was uncle of the late Robert Walker of Canongate.
A new edition, accompanied by a third volume, with an account of his life by h. Blair, wae
published after his death. ... SKETCHES, 341 and Francis for years puzzled his brains in vain to find out the cause of ...

Book 8  p. 485
(Score 0.56)

348 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
less commanding, nor his local popularity inferior. The celebrity of the one
existed principally among the higher classes in the city ; while the more evangelical
discourses of the other endeared him to the less opulent, yet equally, if
not more, devout portion of the community.
The congregations of the two incumbents were thus very dissimilar in
character. Dr. Blair's was less numerous than that of Mr. Walker, but the
church-door collections of the former were much greater. Hence the elders
were wont to remark, that it took tumty-four of Mr. Walker's hearers to equal
one of Dr. Blair's.
In private life, Mr. Walker was certainly more generdly esteemed than his
colleague. This probably arose from a familiarity on the part of the one which
was in some measure foreign to the character and manners of the other ; and
there was at least one virtue-liberality in money matters-which he possessed
to a greater extent than his literary colleague. One day during the repairs of
the High Church, while the two ministers were looking on, the workmen
importuned Mr. Walker for some money to drink their healths. To this Mr.
Walker jocularly replied-" Apply to my colleague," whom they knew to be not
remarkably generoueat the same time quietly giving them five shillings.
Mr. Walker was highly Calvinistic in his religious views ; and, where he
conceived it to be his duty, no man could be more firm in denouncing any
derelictions of a public or private nature. He was an enemy to many public
amusements. During the early part of his incumbency in the High Church
the celebrated case of Home, the author of Douglas, called in an especial manner
the attention of the clergy to the stage, and brought down their severest
denouncements. On reading the admonition of the Presbytery of Edinburgh
from the pulpit, on the 30th of January 1757, he entered warmly and fearlessly
upon the subject of theatrical representations. On another occasion, which
caused no inconsiderable degree of excitement in the city, some thirteen years
afterwards, he spoke out with equal boldness ; and, although at the present day
there may not be many who will coincide to the full in his opinions with respect
to the stage, all must admire the manly tone of his sentiments, and the eloquence
with which they were expressed. The circumstance to which we allude occurred
in 1770, when the comedy of the Minor, under the management of Mr. Foote,l
was performed on the Saturday evening. The occurrence gave rise to severe
remarks in the periodical works of the time ; and called forth a sermon from
the Rev. Mr. Baine (whose Portrait will be found in a subsequent part of this
work), which he published and dedicated to Mr. Foote, The following account
of the affair is from one of the London journals-the article having been forwarded
from Edioburgh :-
Mr. Ross, Mr. Foote is manager of the Edinburgh Theatre this winter.
of the Theatres in London.
the winter with the Com?niam?y-a comedy written by Mr. Foote.
splendid, and the performance highly relished.
Wednesday, and Saturday."-Theatrical Notice, Nov. 1770.
t
" By an agreement between Mr. Foote, patentee of the Theatre in the Haymarket, London, and
Mr. Ross is returned to one
On Saturday, November 17th, the Edinburgh Theatre was opened for
The audience was numerous and
The playa are regularly continued every Monday, ... BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. less commanding, nor his local popularity inferior. The celebrity of the one existed ...

Book 8  p. 486
(Score 0.56)

Victoria Street.] THE MECHANICS? LIBRARY. 291
CHAPTER XXXV.
SOME OF THE NEW STREETS WITHIN THE AREA OF THE FLODDEN WALL (concZuded).
Victoria Street and Ter-The India Buildings-Mechanics? Subscription Library-George IV. BridgeSt. Augustine?s Church-Martyrs?
Church-Chamber of the Hiehland and Amicultural Societv--SherifP Court Buildings and Solicitors? Hall-Johnstone Terrace-St. John?s -
Free Church-The Church of Scotland Training College.
VICTORIA STREET, which opens from the west side
of George IV. Bridge, and was formed as the result
of the same improvement Scheme by which
that stately bridge itself was erected, from the
north end of the Highland and Agricultural Society?s
Chambers curves downward to the northeast
corner of the Grassmarket, embracing in that
curve the last remains of the ancient West Bow.
Some portions of its architecture are remarkably
ornate, especially the upper portion of its south
side, where stands the massive pile, covered in
many parts with rich carving, named the India
Buildings, in the old Scottish baronial style, of
unique construction, consisting of numerous offices,
entered from a series of circular galleries, and
erected in 1867-8, containing the Scottish Chamber
of Agriculture, which was instituted in November,
1864. Its objects are to watch over the interests
of practical agriculture, to promote the advancement
of that science by the discussion of all subjects
relating to it, and to consider questions that
may be introduced into Parliament connected with
it. The business of the Chamber is managed by
a president, vice-president, and twenty directors,
twelve of whom are tenant farmers. It holds fixed
meetings at Perth in autumn, and at Edinburgh
in November, annually; and all meetings are open
to the press.
In the centre of the southern part of the street
is St. John?s Established church, built in 1838, in
a mixed style of architecture, with a Saxon doorway.
It is faced on the north side by a handsome
terrace, portions of which rise from an open arcade,
and include a Primitive Methodist church, or
Ebenezer chapel, and an Original Secession
church. Victoria Terrace is crossed at its western
end bya flight of steps, which seem to continue
the old line of access afforded by the Upper West
Bow.
No. 5 Victoria Terrace gives access to one of
the most valuable institutions in the city-the
Edinburgh Mechanics? Subscription Library. It
was established in 1825, when its first president
was Mr. Robert Hay, a printer, and Mr. John
Dunn, afterwards a well-known optician, was vicepresident,
and it has now had a prosperous career
of more than half a century.
The library is divided into thirteen sections :-
I, Arts and Sciences ; 2, Geography and Statistics ;
3, History; 4, Voyages, Travels, and Personal
Adventures ; 5, Biography ; 6, Theology ; 7, Law ;
8, Essays; 9, Poetry and the Drama; 10, Novels
and Romances ; I I, Miscellaneous ; I 2, Pamphlets ;
13, Periodicals. Each of these sections has a particular
classification, and they are all constantly
receiving additions, so as to CaNy out the original
object of the institution-? To procure an extensive
collection of books on the general literature
of the country, including the most popular works
on science.?
Thus every department of British literature is
amply represented on its shelves, and at a charge
so moderate as to be within the reach of all classes
of the community: the entry-money being only
2s. 6d., and the quarterly payments IS. 6d.
The management of this library has always been
vested in its own members, and few societies adhere
so rigidly to their original design as the
Mechanics? Library has done. It has, from the
first, adapted itself to the pecuniary circumstances
of the working man, and from the commencement
it has been a self-supporting institution ; though
in its infancy its prosperity was greatly accelerated,
as its records attest, by liberal donations of works
in almost every class of literature. Among the
earliest contributors in this generous spirit, besides
many of its own members, were Sir James Hall,
Bart., of Dunglas, so eminent for his attainments
in geological and chemical science; his son,
Captain Basil Hall, R.N., the well-known author ;
Mr. Leonard Horner ; and the leading publishers
of the day-Messrs. Archibald Constable, William
Blackwood, Adam Black, Waugh and Innes, with
John Murray of London. Some of them were
munificent in their gifts, ? besides granting credit
to any amount required-an accommodation of
vital service to an infant institution.?
The property of the library is vested in trustees,
who consist of two individuals chosen by vote
every fifth year, in addition to ?the Convener of
the Trades of the City of Edinburgh, the principal.
librarian to the Faculty of Advocates, and the
principal librarian to the Society of Writers to Her
Majesty?s Signet, for the time being.?
The right of reading descends to the heirs ... Street.] THE MECHANICS? LIBRARY. 291 CHAPTER XXXV. SOME OF THE NEW STREETS WITHIN THE AREA OF THE ...

Book 2  p. 291
(Score 0.56)

266 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
Formerly, the purses gifted to the Blue-Gowns were delivered to them at the
Old Tolbooth ; from which circumstance a portion of the building was designated
the “ Poor Folk‘s Purses.” In later times the whole ceremony was confined
to the Canongate, the parish church of which was built about 1688. Here
the Blue-Gowns heard sermon ; then assembling in the aisle, they received
from the King‘s Almoner, or his deputies, the usual allowance of bread and
beer, their new gowns, and purses. These, as already mentioned, were made
of leather, and furnished by the King’s Glover.
At no period did the Hue-Gowns muster in greater strength than during the
patriarchal reign of George the Third; and although no longer required to
“ tell their beads” in procession, as of yore, their assembling in the capital from
all parts of the country, to receive their aumma, was a day of momentous interest
to the poor old veterans. Fergusson, the laureate of “Auld Reekie,” thus
alludes to their feelings on such occasions :-
“ Sing, likewise, Muse ! how blue-gown bodies,
Like scarecraws new ta’en down frae woodies,
Come here to cast their clouted duddies,
Than them what magistrate mair proud is,
An’ get their pay :
On King’s birthday ?”
As George the Third lived to the advanced age of eighty-two, there were an
unusual number of Blue-Gowns on the roll at the conclusion of his reign. At
the present moment it is believed there are about thirty in existence, For the
last few years no new badges have been issued ; and the annual bounty is no
longer to be continued after the demise of the present recipients. One reason
assigned for abolishing this ancient aristocracy of beggars is, that the original
object of the privileges granted to them is superseded by the provision of Chelsea
Hospital. Until the erection of this institution, no badge or gown was
conferred on any one save those who had served in the army, although latterly
the King’s Almoner was instructed to use his own discretion in the selection of
objects of charity,
Mr. C.
Campbell, teacher, and formerly precentor in the Canongate Church, for many
years officiated, not only at the.desk, but in distributing the alms of his Majesty
to the assembled Bedesmen. For these duties he was allowed one guinea
per annum,l which was regularly paid until the year 1837, when it was
discontinued by Her Majesty’s Remembrancer.
The late Rev. John Paton, of Lasswade, was the last Almoner,
His salilry was originally two pounds, eighteen shillings, Scots (i.e. four shillings and tenpence,
sterling). He was indebted for the augmentation to a son of the late Lord Chief Baron,
Dundarr of Arniston, who, then a youth, and happening to be in Edinburgh on the King’s birthday
1814, he was curious to witness the ceremonial connected with the Blue-Gowns. Accompanied by
his tutor, the Rev. Mr. M‘Kenzie of Lasswade, he proceeded to the Canongate Church, and with
much affability lent a hand in dispensing the charity. On questioning Mr. Campbell a8 to the
amount of his salary, he expressed his astonishment at the smallness of the sum, and that year,
through his father, the Lord Chief Baron, procured the addition already stated. ... BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. Formerly, the purses gifted to the Blue-Gowns were delivered to them at the Old ...

Book 9  p. 354
(Score 0.56)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS . .
THE UNIVERSITY.-~~ontirpi~ce.
PAGE
The Kirk-of-Field . . . . . . . I
Rough Sketch of the Kirk.of.Field, February. 1567.
taken hastily for the English Court . . . 5
The Library of the Old University. as seen from the
south-east corner of the Quadrangle. looking North
The Lihrary of the Old University. as seen from the
south-western corner of the Quadrangle. looking
East . . . . . . . . ., 12
Part of the Buildings of the South side of thc Quad-
Laying the Foundation Stone of the New University.
9
rangle of the Old University . . . . 13
November 16. 1789 . . . . . . 17
The original Design for the East Front of the New
Building for the University of Edinburgh . . 20
Original Plan of the Principal Storey of the New
Building for the University of Edinburgh . . ZI
The Quadrangle. Edinburgh University . . . 25
The Library Hall. Edinburgh University . . . z8
The Bore-Stane . . . . . . . . . zg
Wright?s Houses and the Barclay Church. from Brnnts-
. . . . . . . field Links 32
TheAvenue. Bruntsfield Links . . . . . 33
Wrychtishousis. from the South-west . . . . 36
Merchiston Castle ; Napier Room ; Queen Mary?s Pear
Tree ; Drawing Room ; Entrance Gateway
Tu /;(cc pap 37
. . . Cillespie?s Hospital. from the East ? 37
Christ Church. Morningside . 41
Braid Cottages. 1850 . . . . . . . 40
. . . .
The Hermitage . Braid ; Craig House ; Kitchen. Craig
House; Dining-room Craig House . . . 44
TheGrangeCernetery . . . . . . 45
OldTombat Warrender Park . . . . . 46
Warrender House ; St . Margaret?s Convent ; Ruins of
St . Roque?s Chapel ; Grange House. 1820 ; Draw- . . . ing-room in Orange House, 1882 . 48
Broadstairs House. Causawayside. 1880 . . . 52
Mr . Dullcan McLaren . . . . . .
Ruins of the Convent of St . Katharine. Sciennes.
north-west view. 1854 . . . . .
Interior of the Ruins of the Convent of St . Katharine.
Sciennes . 1854 . . . . . . .
Seal of the Convent of St . Katharine . . . .
Prestonfield House . . . . . . .
Old Houses . Echo Bank . . . . . .
Craigmillar Castle . . . . Tofarepage
Craigmillar Castle: The Hall ; The Keep; Queen
Mary?s Tree; South-west Tower ; The Chapel .
Peffer Mill House . . . . . . . .
Bell?s Mills Bridge . . . . . . .
The Dean House. 1832 . . . . . .
Watson?s, Orphans?. and Stewart?s Hospitals. from
Drumsheugh Grounds. 1859 . . . .
Views in the Dean Cemetery . . . . .
Randolph Cliff and Dean Bridge . Tofacepage
The Water of Leith Village . : . . .
The Water of Leith. 1825 . . . . . .
3 . Bernard?s Well. 1825 . . . . . .
The House where David Roberts was horn . . .
Fettes College. from the South-west . . . .
St . Stephen?s Church . :? . . . . . .
The Edinburgh Academy . . . . . .
Canonmills Loch and House. 1830 . . . .
Heriot?s Hill House . . . . . . .
Tanfield Hall . . . . . . . .
Pilrig House . . . . . . . .
Bonnington House ; Stewadfield ; Redbraes ; Silvermills
House ; Broughton Hall; Powder Hall ;
Canonmills House . . . . . .
View in Bonnington. 185 I . . . . . .
Warriston House . . . . . . .
The Royal Botanic Gardens: General View of the
Gardens ; The Arboretum ; Rock Garden ; Palm
PAGE
53
54
54
55
56 ?
57
58
60
6:
64
65
68
69
70
72
73
76
77
80
81
84
85
88
89
92
93
96
97
.Houses ; Class Room and Entrance to Museum . 100 ... OF ILLUSTRATIONS . . THE UNIVERSITY.-~~ontirpi~ce. PAGE The Kirk-of-Field . . . . . . . I Rough Sketch of ...

Book 6  p. 401
(Score 0.56)

  Previous Page Previous Results   Next Page More Results

  Back Go back to Edinburgh Bookshelf

Creative Commons License The scans of Edinburgh Bookshelf are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.