Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Bookshelf

Search

Index for “dreghorn castle”

2 MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH.
fails to adorn his pages with the ‘‘ mute inglorious ” history of his native village. All
that tradition could have preserved of its early history, may still be traced by the
intelligent eye in the natural features of its romantic site.
In the midst of a fertile and beautiful country, and within easy distance of a navigable
estuary of the sea, rises a bold and precipitous cliff, towering upon three of its sides, an
inaccessible natural fortress, to the height of 300 feet above the plain. In immediate connection
with this, the sloping hill forms at once the natural approach to the Castle, and
a site protected already on one side by R marsh and lake, and on all but one by steep
approaches, admitting of ready defence and security from surprise. Here at once ’is discovered
a situation, planned, as it were, by the hand of Nature, to offer to the wandering
tribes of early Caledonia the site for their Capital ; when every one’# hand was against his
brother, and war was deemed the only fitting occupation of men. Nor was it until the
union with our once natural foes, had made the rival sisters, “ like kindred drops to mingle
into one,” that Edina ventured forth from her hilly stronghold, and spread abroad her
noble skirts over the valley of the Forth.
But in addition to the natural obscurity of an infant city, the history of Edinburgh, as
of Scotland, is involved in more than usual uncertainty, even down to a period when both
should fill an important page in the annals of the British Isles, owing to the double destruction
of the national records, first under Edward I., and again under Cromwell; leaving ita
historian dependent for much of his material on vague and uncertain tradition, or on information
obtained by patient labour, or fortunate chance in the pursuit of other investigations.
The earliest notices refer almost exclusively to the CastIe, which has been occupied as
a fortified station as far back as our traditions extend. The remotest date we have been
able to discover, assigned for its origin, is in Stow’s Summarie of EngZyshe Chronicles,
where it is placed as far back as 989 years before Christ ; sufficiently remote, we should
presume, for the most zealous chronologist. Ebranke,” says he, “the some of Mempricius,
was made ruler of Britayne ; he had, as testifieth Policronica, Ganfride, and other
twenty-one wyves, of whom he receyved twenty sonnes and thirty daughters ; whyche he
sente into Italye, there to be maryed to the blood of the Troyans. In Albanye (now called
Scotlande) he edified the castell of Alclude, which is Dumbritayn ; he made the castell
of Maydens, now called Edenbrough; he made also the castell of Banburgh in the 23d
yere of his reign. He buylded Yorke citie, wherein he made a temple to Diana, and set
there an Arch-flame ; and there was buried, when he had reigned 49 peares.”
From more trustworthy sources, we learn of its occupation as far back as the fifth century
by the Picts, from whom it was wrested by the Northumbrian Saxons in the pear
452. And from that time, down to the reign of Malcolm IL, its history exhibits a constant
struggle, maintained between them and the Picts, and each alternately victorious.
From Edwin, one of these Northumbrian invaders, it may be remarked, who rebuilt the
fortress about the year 626, the name of Edwinesburg, as it is termed in the oldest charters
we have any notice of, is derived with more plausibility, than from any other of the
contradictory sources from which learned antiquaries have sought to deduce it.
Passing intermediate incidents of uncertain significance, the next important epoch is that
of 1093, when Donald Bane laid siege to the Castle, in an unsuccessful endeavour to pos-
1 Dumbarton. ... MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH. fails to adorn his pages with the ‘‘ mute inglorious ” history of his native ...

Book 10  p. 2
(Score 0.53)

INDEX.. 469
Preatongrange, Lord, 253
Prestonpans, 52
Potterrow, 345
Priestfield House, 104
Primrose, Viscount, 163
Prince, Sir Magnus, 178
Provost, Title of Lord, 153
Pirses, The, 188, 197, 280
Quarrel Holes, 64
Queen Mary‘s Dial. See Dial
Queensberry, Earl of, 323
Port, 398
Lady, 163
Oreyfriars’ Port, 454
Bath. See Bath
Duke of, 108,137,183, 210,299
Duchess of, 199
House, 199, 299, 454
Raeburn, Sir Henry, 181, 237
Rae’s Close, 280
Rambollet, Monsieur, 284
Ramsay, Alexander, 7
Allan, 142, 198, 228, 241, 251, 252, 326
Cuthbert, 73
Oeorge, 187
Mias Jean, 285
Lane, 143
Randolph, the Nephew of Bruce, 6
Ratho Church, 129
Rebus of Preston, 382
Regalia, The, 25, 36, 127
Regent’s Aisle, St Oiles’s Church, 390
Reid, James, Constable of the Castle, 128
Reid‘s Close, Canongate, 299
Reservoir, 143
Restalrig Church, 83, 398
Restoration, The, 98, 99, 436,
Rich, Lady Diana, Apparition of, 410
Richard, II., of England, 379, 384
Richmond, Alexander, 110
Riddle’s Close, Lawnmarket, 167, 453
Riding School, Old, 347
Ridotto of Holyrood House, 324
Risp. See Tiding Pin
Robert the Bruce, 6, 356, 373
II., 8, 11, 12, 17, 384
Robertson, Dr, 162, 328
of Kincraigie, 214
Robin Hood, 58, 69, 83
Rockville, Lord, 141
Roman Eagle Hall, 169, 431
Romieu, Paul, the Clockmaker, 340
Roseburn House, 95
Rosehaugh Close, 261
Roslyn Castle, 50
ROM, Earl of, 13
Ambassador of Queen Elizabeth, 72
of Prior Bolton, 382
Street, East, 347
Close, Castlehill, 141
Countem of, 260
Ross, Sir John, the Poet, 24
James, Bishop of, 399
Xom’s Court, 141
Rothes, Lord, 215, 287, 326
Rotheay, 12
Duke of, 350, 388
Rotten Row, Leith, 360
Roull of Corstorphine, the Poet, 24
Rowan, Mr William, 290
Roxburgh, Earls of, 230
Roxburgh, Robert, 1st Earl of, 293, 373
Tavern, 209
Robert, 4th Earl of, 298
Castle, 18
Hotse, 298
Close, 230
Royal Exchange, 235
Royal Circus, 369
Royston, Lord, 169
Ruddiman, Thomas, 210
Rudeside, Leith, 366
Rumbold, Richard, an Ironside, 216
Runciman, Alexauder, the Painter, 172, 237,347
Runic Inscription, 131
Ruthven, Lord, 65, 76, 77
Master of, 57
Ruthven’s Land, Lord, 338
Ryan, John, Actor, 287
Rye House Plot, 21 7, 231
Rynd, James, Burgess, 156
Janet, Foundress of Magdalene Chapel, 400-403
Sadler, Sir Ralph, 64
Salamander Land, 242
Salisbury Crags, 83
Cathedral, 197
Sanctuary, 137,306, 317
Sanderson, Deacon, 69
Sandilands’ Close, 255
Sark, Battle of, 17
Saxe-Coburg Place, 369
Scott of Thirlstane, Sir Francis, 269
of Ancrum, Sir John, 256
Sir Walter, 115, 129, 154, 185, 289, 347, 365,376
Sir James, 68
442,443
Birth Place of, 323
Thomas, one of the Miirderers of Rizdo, 77
Scougal, John, the Painter, 229
Seafield, Lord Chancellor, 218, 295
Seaton, 77
Seatoun House, 303
Sebastian, one of the Jdurderers of Darnley, 81
Secret Chamber, 149, 152
Selkirk, Earl of, 269
Sellar‘s Close, 225
Sempill, Lord, E‘, 144
Lady, 145
Honourable Anne, 145
of Beltrees, 144, 354
Colonel, 176
Sempill’s Close, 144, 145
Seton, Oeorge, 2d Lord, 22
3 0 ... 469 Preatongrange, Lord, 253 Prestonpans, 52 Potterrow, 345 Priestfield House, 104 Primrose, Viscount, ...

Book 10  p. 508
(Score 0.53)

I 0 6 . MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH.
their will. The magnificent carved stalls, which had just been completed, and all the costly
fittings of the Chapel were devoted to destruction, and the fine old fabric only abandoned
when its newly-completed decorations had been reduced to an unsightly heap of ruins.
Other acts of violence were perpetrated by the rioters; and the students again testified
their zeal, by marching in triumphal procession to the Cross, with banda of music, and the
College mace borne before them, and there again burning the effigy of the Pope.
On the assembly of the Parliament, the Bishop of Edinburgh prayed for the welfare
and restoration of King James, and the Episcopal body generally maintained their fidelity to
the exiled Prince, the well-known consequence of which was the restoration of Presbytery
as the national religion, and the expulsion of the recently-created Bishops from their sees.
On the 11th of April 1688, William and Mary were proclaimed at the Cross, King
and Queen of Scotland. The Castle was still held by the Duke of Clordon for King
James, while Viscount Dundee, after a brief conference with its commander, in which he
endeavoured to induce the Duke to accompany him to the Highlands, engaged him to
hold out that fortification, while he went north to raise the friends of the King. The
citizens were filled with the utmost alarm at the news of this interview. The drums beat
to arms, and a body of troops, which the Duke of Hamilton had quartered in the city, was
called out to pursue Dundee, but no serious consequences resulted; and the Duke of
Gordon, being almost destitute of provisions, at length yielded up the Castle on the 13th
of June 1689, the last considerable place of strength that had remained in the interest of
the exiled Monarch.
In 1695, the grand national project of the Darien expedition was set on foot, and a
company formed for establishing a settlement on the Isthmus of Darien, and fitting out
ships to trade with Africa and the Indies. The highest anticipations were excited by this
project. The sum of 2,400,000 sterling waa speedily subscribed, and a numerous body
embarked for the new settlement. When intelligence reached Edinburgh of the company
having effected a landing at Darien, and successfully repelled the attacks of the Spaniards,
thanksgivings were offered up in all the churches, and a general illumination made
throughout the city. The mob further testified their joy, by securing the city ports ; and
then setting fire to the Old Tolbooth door, they liberated the prisoners incarcerated for
printing seditious publications.
The indignation of the populace was no less vehement on the failure of this national
project than their joy at its first success. The prison was again forcibly opened, the
windows of all obnoxious citizens were broken ; and such violence was shown, that the
Commissioner and officers of state were compelled to leave the city for some days, to escape
the vengeance of the infuriated multitude.
The Old Darien House still stands' within the extended line of the city wall, near the
Bristo Port, a melancholy and desolate looking memorial of that unfortunate enterprise. It
is a substantial and somewhat handsome structure, in the French style, and with the curious
high-pitched roof which prevailed in the reign of William 111. It has more recently been
abandoned to the purposes of a pauper lunatic asylum, and is popularly known by the name
of Redlam. A melancholy association attaches to a more modern portion of it towards the
1 The Darien House was entirely demolished in 1871 ; and its site ia now occupied by several bloclw of buildings,
on the walla of one of which is B tablet indicating where it stood. ... 0 6 . MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH. their will. The magnificent carved stalls, which had just been completed, and all ...

Book 10  p. 116
(Score 0.53)

318 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [The West Bow.
Jambites pointing t a it with mingled howls and
jeers, as a proof of the enslavement of Scotland.??
Outside the archway of the Bow Port, and on
the west side of the street, was the house of Archibald
Stewart, Lord Provost of Edinburgh in the
ever memorable year 1745. Its upper windows
overlooked the Grassmarket, and it was as full of
secret stairs, trap-doors, little wainscoted closets,
and concealed recesses, as any haunted mansion
in a nursery tale. In one apartment there stood
a cabinet, or what appeared to be such, but which
in reality was the entrance to a trap-stair. It is
unknown whether Provost Stewart-whose Jacobite
proclivities are well known, as they brought him
before a court on charges of treason-contrived
this means of retreat, or whether (which is more
probable) it had been a portion of the original
design of the house ; but local tradition avers that
he turned it to important use on one occasion. , It is said that during the occupation of Edinburgh
by the Highland army in 1745 he gave a
secret entertainment to Prince Charles and some
of the chiefs of his army ; and it was not conducted
so secretly but that tidings of it reached the officer
commanding in the adjacent Castle, which was then
garrisoned chiefly by the 47th or Lascelles Regiment.
A party of the latter was sent to seize the
Prince if possible, and, to do so, came down the
Bow from the street of the Castle Hill. Fortunately,
their own appearance created an alarm, and before
they gained admission the guests of the Provost
had all disappeared by the?secret stair.
Tradition has never varied in the relation of
this story, but the real foundation of it is difficult
of discovery, This house stood at the foot of
Donaldson?s Close, and Archibald Stewart was th(!
third chief magistrate of Edinburgh who had inhabited
it.
In subsequent years it came into possession of
Alexander. Donaldson, the well-known bookseller,
.whose litigation with the trade in London made
much noise at one time, as he was in the habit of
deliberately reprinting the most modem English
works in Edinburgh, where, before his epoch, both
printing and publishing were at the lowest ebb.
Refemng to the state of this branch of industry at
the time he wrote (1779), Arnot says:--?Till
within these forty years, the printing of newspapers
and of school-books, of the fanatic effusions of
Presbyterian clergymen, and the law-papers of the
Court of Session, joined to the patent Bible printing,
gave a scanty employment to four printinghouses.
Such, however, has been the increase of
this trade by the reprinting of English books, that
there are now no fewer than twenty-seven printingoffices
in Edinburgh.? In our own time there are
about eighty.
From his printing-house in the Castle Hill,
Alexander Donaldson issued the first number of
his once famous newspaper, The Edinburgh Advertiser,
on the 3rd of January, 1764. It was a large
quarto, and was also issued and sold from his shop,
?I near Norfolk Street in the Strand, London ;?, and,
his first number contains the following curious.
advertisement, among others :-
?Any young woman not under IS, nor much
over 30 years of age, that is tolerably handsome,
and would incline to give her hand to a Black
Prince, upon directing a letter to F. Y., care of the
Publisher, will be informed particularly as to this.
matrimonial scheme, which they may be assured
is a good one in every respect, the colour of the
husband only excepted. If desired, secresy may
be depended on.?
For a long course of years this journal, prominent
as a Conservative organ, proved a most lucrative
speculation; and as all his other undertakings
prospered, he left, together with his old house in
the Bow, a rich inheritance to his son, the late Mr.
James Donaldson, who eventually realised a large
fortune, the mass of which (about ;t;240,000) at
his death, in 1840, he bequeathed to found the
magnificent hospital which bears his name at the
west end of the city.
Six years before his death the old house in the
Bow, where he and his father had resided for so
many years, and wherein they had entertained most
of the literati of their time, was burned to the
ground.
Lower down than the house of the Donaldsons
was an ancient edifice, with a timber front of picturesque
aspect, in former times the town mansion
of the Napiers of Wrightshouse-a family which
passed away about the close of the 17th century,
but was of some importance in its time.
Alexander Napier of Wrightshouse appears as
one of an inquest in 1488. His coat armorial
was a bend, charged with a crescent between two
mullets. He married Margaret Napier of Merchiston,
whose father, Sir Alexander, was slain at
Flodden, and whose brother (his heir) was slain at.
Pinkie. In 1581, among the names of the Commissioners
appointed by James VI., ?anent the
cuinze,? that of William Napier of the Wrightshouse
appears; and in 1590 his sister Barbara.
Napier was accused of witchcraft on the 8th of Mayr
and of being present at the great meeting of Scottish
witches held by the devil in North Berwick.
The wife of Archibald Douglas (brother of the
Laird of Carshoggil), her trial was one of great ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [The West Bow. Jambites pointing t a it with mingled howls and jeers, as a proof of ...

Book 2  p. 318
(Score 0.53)

ECCLESIA S TICA L ANTIQUITIES. 419
rials of the olden time. An unpicturesque fragment of the ruins of the Convent of St
Katherine de Sienna still remains, and serves as a sheep-fold for the flocks that pasture in
the neighbouring meadow ; and the name of the Sciennes, by which the ancient Mure-burgh
is now known, preserves some slight remembrance of the abode of I‘ the Sisters of the
Schenis,” where Chastitie found hospitable welcome, at a time when the bold Scottish
satirist represents her as spurned from every other door. A few notes, in reference to
more recent ecclesiastical erections, are reserved for the Appendix ; but there is something
in the flimsy and superficial character of our modern religious edifices, which, altogether
apart from the sacred or historical associations attached to them, deprives them of that
interest with which we view the architectural remains of the Middle Ages. Instead of
stuccoed ceilings and plaster walls, we h d , in the old fabrics, solid ribs of stone, and the
arched vaulting adorned with intricate mouldings and richly sculptured bosses. The
clustered piers below, that range along the solemn aisles, are like the huge oaks of the
forest, and their fan-like groinings like the spreading boughs, from whence their old builders
have been supposed to have drawn the first idea of these massive columns and the o’erarching
roof.
After all, the olden time with which we have dealt is a comparatively modern one.
‘She relics even of St Margaret’s Chapel, and St David‘a Monastery, and the Maiden
Castle, which Chalmera ranks only as “ first of modern antiques,” mould possess but poor
claims to our interest, as mere antiquities, beside the temples of Egypt or the marble
columns of the Acropolis. The Castle, indeed, is found to have been occupied as a stronghold
as far back as any trustworthy record extends ; and beyond this our older British
chroniclers relate, as authentic, traditions which assip to it an origin nearly coeval with
the Temple of Solomon, and centuries before the founding of Rome I Wyntoun records
of the renowned Kyng Ebrawce,” who flourished 989 years before the Christian era :-
“ He byggsd EDYNBWBwGyEth t-alle,
And gert thaim Allynclowd it calle,
The Maydyn castell, in Bum place
The sorowful Hil it callyd waa.”
Coming down a little nearer our own day, we arrive at the era of Fergus the First, the
famed progenitor of one hundred and eighteen sovereigns, ‘( of the same unspotted blood
and royal line,” who began his reign 330 years before Christ. Fergus, however, was no
plebeian upstart. He again traced his descent from Mileaius, who reigned in Ireland 1300
years before. the Christian era, and “ who makes the twenty-sixth degree inclusively from
Noe ; the twenty-first from Niul, a son of Fenius-farsa, king of Scythia, a prince very
knowing in all the languages then spoken ; the twentieth from Gaedhal-Glass, a contemporary
with Moses and Pharaoh ; the seventeenth inclusively from Heber-Scot, an excellent
bow-man I ” a Upon the whole, we are put in the fair way of tracing King Fergus’s genealogy
back to Adam,-a very satisfactory and credible beginning, in case anyeof its more recent
steps should be thought to stand in need of additional proof. Leaving such famous
worthies of the olden time, we come thereafter to Edwin, king of Northumbria, of whom we
possess trustworthy historic account, and who, there seems no reason to doubt, gave his
Caledonia, vol. ii. p. 669. ’ Dr Matthew Remedy, Ahercromby’a Martial Achievements, voL i p. 4. ... S TICA L ANTIQUITIES. 419 rials of the olden time. An unpicturesque fragment of the ruins of the Convent ...

Book 10  p. 459
(Score 0.53)

summons (said Sir Walter Scott, in the Quarter@
Revkw,) instead of rousing the hearts of the
volunteers, like the sound of a trumpet, rather
reminded them of a passing knell. Most pitiful
was the bearing of the volunteers, according to Dr.
Carlyle of Inveresk, who was one of them on this
occasion. ? The ladies in the windows treated us
very variously; many with lamentation, and even
with tears, and some with scorn and derision. In
one house on the south side of the street there was
a row of windows
full of ladies, who
appeared to enjoy
our march to danger
with much mirth and
levity.? He adds
that these civic warriors
were about to
fire on these ladies;
but they pulled their
windows down.
Summoned from
Leith, the 14th Dragoons
came spurring
up the street, huzzaing
and clashing their
swords in silly bravado
; the volunteers
began their march,
with wives and children
clinging to them,
imploring them not
to risk their lives
against wild Highland
savages ; but resolutely
enough their
The preposterous idea of meeting the Highlanders
in the open field was abandoned; the
remains of the force were led to the College yards
and dismissed for the evening ; but the City Guard,
the men of the Edinburgh Regiment, and the
cavalry, went out to reconnoitre as far as Corstorphine.
Seeing nothing of the enemy, the famous
~ and pious Colonel Gardiner of the 13th Dragoons,
who commanded the whole, halted in the fields
between Edinburgh and Leith, leaving a small party
OLD HOUSES, WEST now.
(From a MeawredDrazuing by T. Hamilton, pirUiskd in 1830.)
commander ex-Provost Drummond led the way,
till the most ludicrous cowardice was exhibited by
all. ?? In descending the famous West Bow, they
disappeared by scores under doorways or down
wynds, till, when their commander halted at the
West Port and looked behind him, he found, to his
surprise and mortification, that nearly the whole of
his valiant followers had disappeared, and that
only a few of his personal friends remained. The
author of a contemporary pamphlet-alleged to be
David Hume-afterwards compared their march to
the course of the Rhine, which at one place is a
majestic river, rolling its waves through fertile
fields, but being continually drawn off by little
canals, dwindles into a small streamlet, and is
almost lost in the sands before reaching the ocean.*
It was said that the volunteers rushed about in the
sorest tribulation, bribing with sixpences every
soldier they met to take their arms to the Castle.
to watch the west
road, while fresh
volunteers came into
the city from Musselburgh
and Dalkeith.
That night Brigadier
Fowkes arrived from
London to assume the
command, and he at
once led the cavalry
towards Coltbridge,
which spans the Leith,
about two miles distant
from the then
city.
Here a few Highland
gentlemen, forming
the Prince?s van,
fired their pistols, on
which adreadful panic
at once seized the
13th and 14th Dragoons,
who went
?threes about,? and,
laden with all the property
they could
?? loot ? from Corstorphine and Bell?s Mills, were
seen from the Castle and the city, flying in wild
disorder eastward by the Lang Gate. At Leith
they halted for a few minutes till a cry was raised, in
mockery, that the Highlanders were at hand, when
again they resumed their flight as far as Preston
Pans. Then a cry from one of their comrades, who
fell into a disused coalpit, filled these cravens with
such ungovernable terror, that they fled to North
Berwick. The road by which they galloped was
strewn, according to Dr. Carlyle, with their swords,
pistols, carbines, and skull-caps, which the mortified
Colonel Gardiner, who had passed the night at his
own house at Bankton, caused to be gleaned up
and sent in covered carts to Dunbar.
General Guest sent a detachment into the
city to spike the cannon, which in his heart he
had no wish should be used against the Prince,
tG save them for whom the Provost declined all ... (said Sir Walter Scott, in the Quarter@ Revkw,) instead of rousing the hearts of the volunteers, like the ...

Book 2  p. 324
(Score 0.52)

272 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [High Street
lawyer and judge. Admitted an advocate at the
early age of nineteen, he obtained a full share of
practice, and the rooms of his mansion in Elphinstone
Court were frequently crowded byhis clients;
but having gained a cause in which the celebrated
Lockhart (Lord Covington) was the opposing
counsel, that eminent barrister, in bitter chagrin at
his signal defeat, styled him ?a presumptuous
boy.? Young Wedderburn?s reply was so terribly
sarcastic as to draw upon him a severe rebuke from
England, resided here while practising at the
Scottish Bar. He was born in East Lothian, in
1733, where his great-grandfather, Sir Peter Wedderburn
of Gosford, was a man of influence in the
reign of Charles II., and rose to be an eminent
courts for ever, was called to the English bar in
1753, and soon gained fresh fame as counsel for
the great Lord Clive ; and in I 768-9 his eloquence
in the famous Douglas cause won him the notice
of Lord Camden and the friendship of the Earls of
Bute and Mansfield. He sat in the Commons as
member for the Inverary Burghs, and for Bishop?s
Castle, and in 1780 was raised to the British peerage
as Lord Loughborough, in the county of
Leicester. In April, 1783, he united with Lord
one of the judges, on which he threw off his gown,
and declared that never again would he plead in a
place where he was subjected to insult.
A11 unaware of the brilliant future that awaited
him, with great regret he quitted the Scottish
ELPHINSTONE COURT. ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [High Street lawyer and judge. Admitted an advocate at the early age of nineteen, he ...

Book 2  p. 272
(Score 0.52)

21% OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Nether Bow.
with cannon stone-shot in 1544, ere advancing
;against the Castle. ? They hauled their. cannons
up the High Street by force of men to the ButteI
Tron, and above,? says Calderwood, ? and hazarded
a shot against the fore entrie of the Castle (i.e.,
the port of the Spur). But the wheel and axle 01
.one of the English cannons was broken, and some
of their men slain by shot of ordnance out of the
Castle j so they left that rash enterprise.?
In 1571, during the struggle between Kirkaldy
.and the Regent Morton, this barrier gate played a
prominent part. According to the ?Diurnal of
Qccurrents,? upon the nznd of August in that year,
the Regent and the lords who adhered against the
.authority of the Queen, finding that they were
totally excluded from the city, marched several
bands of soldiers from Leith, their head-quarters,
.and concealed them under cloud of night in the
I closes and houses adjoining the Nether Bow Port.
At five on the following morning, when it was
supposed that the night watch would be withdrawn,
six soldiers, disguised as millers, approached the
.gates, leading horses laden with sacks of meal,
which were to be thrown down as they entered, so
.as to preclude the rapid closing of them, and while
they attacked and cut down the warders, with those
weapon? which they wore under their disguise, the
.men in ambush were to rush out to storm the
-town, aided by a reserve, whom the sound of their
trumpets was to summon from Holyrood. ?But
the eternal God,? says the quaint old journalist we
quote, ? knowing the cruel1 murther that wold have
beene done and committit vponn innocent poor personis
of the said burgh, wold not thole this interpryse
to tak successe; but evin quhen the said
meill was almaist at the port, and the said men of
war, stationed in clois headis, in readinesse to
enter at the back of the samyne it chanced that
a burgher of the Canongate, named Thomas Barrie,
passed out towards his hcuse in the then separate
burgh, and perceiving soldiers concealed on every
hand, he returned and gave the alarm, on which
the gate was at once barricaded, and the design of
the Regent and his adherents baffled.
This gate having become ruinous, the magis
trates in 1606, three years after James VI. went to
England, built a new one, of which many views are
preserved. It was a handsome building, and quite
enclosed the lower end of the High Street. The
arch, an ellipse, was in the centre, strengthened by
round towers and battlements on the eastern or
external front, and in the southern tower there was
a wicket for.foot passengers. On the inside of the
arch were the arms of the city. The whole building
was crenelated, and consisted of two lofty
storeys, having in the centre a handsome square
tower, terminated by ii pointed spire. It was
adorned by a statue of James VI., which was
thrown down and destroyed by order of Oliver
Cromwell, and had on it a Latin inscription, which
runs thus in English :-
?Watch towers and thundr?ng walls vain fences prove
No guards to monarchs like their people?s love.
Jacobus VL Rex, Anna Regina, 1606.?
This gate has been rendered remarkable in history
by the extra-judicial bill that passed the
House of Lords for razing it to theground, in consequence
of the Porteous mob, For a wonder, the
Scottish members made a stand in the matter, and
as the general Bill, when it came to the Commons,
was shorn of all its objectionable clauses, the
Nether Bow Port escaped.
In June, 1737, when the officials of Edinburgh,
who had been taken to London for examination
concerning the not, were returning, to accord them
a cordial reception the citizens rode out in great
troops to meet them, while for miles eastward the
road was lined by pedestrians. The Lord Provost,
Alexander Wilson, a modest man, eluded the ovation
by taking another route ; but the rest came in
triumph through the city, forming a procession of
imposing length, while bonfires blazed, all the bells
clanged and clashed as if a victory had been won
over England, and the gates of the Nether Bow
Port, which had been unhooked, were re-hung and
closed amid the wildest acclamation.
In 1760 the Common Council of London having
obtained an Act of Parliament to remove their city
gates, the magistrates of Edinburgh followed suit
without any Act, and in 1764 demolished the
Nether Bow Port, then one of the chief ornaments
of the city, and like the unoffending Market Cross,
a peculiarly interesting relic of the past. The
ancient clock of its spire was afterwards placed
in that old Orphan?s Hospital, near Shakespeare
Square, where it remained till the removal of the
latter edifice in 1845, when the North British Railway
was in progress, and it is now in the pediment
between the towers of the beautiful Tuscan edifice
built for the orphans near the Dean cemetery. ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Nether Bow. with cannon stone-shot in 1544, ere advancing ;against the Castle. ? They ...

Book 2  p. 218
(Score 0.52)

HISTORICAL AND DESCRTPTIVE NOTES. 77
~
little to the east of Winchburgh station, the old square keep is distinctly seen
from the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. It is well known that the unfortunate
Mary Stuart found shelter within its massive walls, on her flight from
Loch Leven to the disastrous field of Langside, in 156%. Her loyal host and
protector' was long commemorated by a brief inscription on an oblong stone
tablet surmounting the east window of the Castle. Unfortunately, the tablet
has disappeared within the last few years ; but the restoration of the inscription
is contemplated by the Earl of Hopetoun, to whom the ancient structure
now belongs. The tablet appears on the following page.
THE OLD YEW TREE
While leaving the more historical features, let us glance for a little -at the
picturesque, and from the Dean Cemetery, with its memories of departed
1 George, seventh Lord Seton, who was Provost of Edinburgh in 1557. He was the elder
brother of John, first Baron of Cariston in the county of Fife, and half-bro:her of Mary Seton, one
of the ' four Maries ' in attendance upon the beautiful Scottish Queen. The office of Provost was
also held by his distinguished son Alexander, Earl of Dunfermline (younger brother of the first
Earl of Winton). from IS+ to I*. Lord Dunfermline, whose armocia1 ensigns appear
in the upper portion of the great south window in the Parliament House, was appointed President
of the Court of Session in 1593, and discharged the duties of Chancellor of Scotland from
1604 till his death at Pinkie in 1612. Impartial as a judge and able as a statesman, he is praised
by both Spttiswoode and Calderwood ... AND DESCRTPTIVE NOTES. 77 ~ little to the east of Winchburgh station, the old square keep is ...

Book 11  p. 122
(Score 0.52)

them were captured, among others old McLean,
who made a desperate resistance in the West Port
with a musket and bayonet. Many who rolled
down the rocks to the roadway beneath were
severely injured, and taken by the City Guard. A
sentinel was bound hand and foot and thrown into
Macintosh, of Borlum, in his 80th
captivity of fifteen years, for participation
rising of 1715; and for twelve months,
there were confined in a small, horrid, unhealthy
chamber above the portcullis,
many a year as '' the black hole " of
south) where he confessed the whole plot ; the
corporal was mercilessly flogged ; and Sergeant
Ahslie was hanged over the postern gate. Colonel
Stuart was dismissed ; and Brigadier Grant, whose
regiment was added to the garrison, was appointed
temporary governor.
From this period, with the exception of a species
of blockade in 1745, to be related in its place,
the history of the Castle is as uneventful as that of
the Tower of London, save a visit paid to it in t+
time of George I., by Yussuf Juniati, General and
Governor of Damascus.
Many unfortunate Jacobites have suffered most
protracted periods of imprisonment within its walls.
' with her daughters, the Ladies Mary
who were brought in by an escort of twenty
under a ruffianly quartermaster, who
with every indignity, even to tearing weddingring
from Lady Strathallan's finger, and
daughters of their clothes. During the
these noble ladies were in that noisome
the gate, they were without female attendance,
under the almost hourly surveillance sergeants
of the guard. The husband of
was slain at the head of his men on
Culloden, where the Jacobite clans were
by neither skill nor valour, but the sheer
numbers and starvation. ... were captured, among others old McLean, who made a desperate resistance in the West Port with a musket and ...

Book 1  p. 69
(Score 0.52)

344 MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH.
over its entrance the common inscription, BLISSET . BE . GOD . FOR . AL. HIS , GIFTIS
with the initials, I. L., G. K. ; and the windows above retain the old oaken mullions
and transoms richly carved in a variety of patterns. Another antique tenement to the
east of this is finished with a bartizan and ornamental parapet, on the centre of which the
badge of its ancient subjection to the Templar Knights appears like a dagger struck into
the roof, and left to serve as a memento of strife in more peaceful times. The assignment
of this locality as the appointed place for a weekly market, dates from the year 1477, when
James 111. appointed “ all ald graith and ger to be usit and sald in the Friday Market
before the Gray-Frers ; alsa all qwyck bestis, ky, oxon, not to be brought in the town, bot
under the wall fer west at oure stable.” ’
The town wall extended on the west from the Castle across the area of the market on
the site uow occupied by the Corn Exchange ; and here stood the ancient gate of the city
from whence the neighbouring suburb derived its name of the West Port. Like the
other gates of the city, it was usually garnished with a few heads and dismembered
limbs of malefactors and political offenders ; and so essential were these appendages
considered that Fountainhall, after recording the execution of three Covenanters in the
Grassmarket in the year 1681, adds :-‘‘ About eight dayes before this they had stollen
away two of the heads which stood on the West Port of Edinburgh ; the criminal lords,.
to supply that want, ordained two of thir criminall’s heads to be struck off, and to be
sexed in ther place.”3 Here also was the scene of some of those quaint ceremonials
wherewith our ancestors were wont to testify their loyal gratulations at the Sovereign’s
approach. James VI. was appropriately received at the gate by Kiug Solomon on his
first entry to the capital in 1579; and here, in 1590, his Queen, Anne of Denmark, was
welcomed in a Latin oration, and received the silver keys of the city in the accustomed
manner, from the hands of an angel who descended in a globe from the battlements of
the Port.* King Jamea was again welcomed in still more costly fashion at the same spot
on his return to his native city in 1617; and the Nymph Edina waited there for his son,
Charles I., in 1633, attended by beautiful damsels, and, with a brief congratulatory oration,
presented the keys, leaving, however, the burden of the welcome to the Lady Caledonia,
who lay in wait for him at the corner of the Bow, and in ‘( a copious speech,” prepared by
Drummond of Hamthornden in his most bombastic vein, congratulated his Majesty on his
safe arrival.
The most interesting features of the burgh of Western Portsburgh have already been
described in a previous chapter.6 Many of the old buildings of its main street have been
replaced of late years by the plain unpretending erections of modern times. It still, however,
has at least one venerable edifice of a picturesque character, erected in the reign of
Queen Mary by John Lowrie,‘ a substantial burgher, and, as it would seem, a zealous
adherent of the ancient faith in those ticklish times. So, at least, we infer from the sculptured
lintel of its ancient doorway, which bears, in large characters, this abbreviation of the
common motto,-SOLI DE0 * H - G * with the date 1565; and in the centre, between
-
1 The mme inscription occura with the date 1637, over a neighbouring tenement at the foot of the Castle Wynd. ’ Charter of James 111. ; Maitland, pp. 8, 9.
‘ AFonuten,t apipn.h a8l5l-’a8 7H. istorical Observes, p. 30. Ante, pp. 135-137. 6 Traditions, vol. i. p. 304. ... MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH. over its entrance the common inscription, BLISSET . BE . GOD . FOR . AL. HIS , ...

Book 10  p. 376
(Score 0.52)

YAMES VI. TO RESTORATION OF CHARLES II. 95
as is well known, followed the Scottish forces under Leslie, in all their movements, so that
they were encamped at various times all round the city. One spot is particularly pointed
out, immediately to the westward of Coltbridge, where Cromwell’s forces lay on the rising
ground all around, and only separated from the Presbyterian army by the Water of Leith
and the marshy fields along its banks. Roseburn House, a very interesting old mansion,
where Cromwell is said to have passed the night while the army lay encamped in its neighbourhood,
still remains, bearing the date 1562 over its principal entrance. In levelling
one of the neighbouring mounds some years since, some stone coffins were found, and a
large quantity of human bones, evidently of a very ancient date, as they crumbled to pieces
on being exposed to the air ; but the tradition of the neighbouring hamlet is, that they
were the remains of some of Cromwell’P troopers. Our informant, the present intelligent
occupant of Roseburn House, mentioned the curious fact, that among the remains dug up,
there were the bones of a human leg, with fragments of a wooden coffin or case, of the
requisite dimensions, in which it had evidently been buried apart.
The battle of Dunbar at length placed the southern portion of Scotland completely in
the power of Cromwell, at the very moment when he was preparing to abandon the enterprise,
and embark his troops for England. The magistrates, as well as the ministers and
the principal inhabitants, having been involved in the movements of the defeated party,
either deserted the town, or took refuge in the Castle on the approach of the victorious
General.
On the 7th of September 1650, Cromwell entered Edinburgh at the head of his army,
and took possession of it and of the town of Leith. The capital was now subjected to
martial law ; the most rigid regulations were enforced, such as, (‘ that upone ony allarum
no inhabitant luik out of his hous upone payne of death, or walk on the streets after top-tow,
upone payne of imprissonement.” Yet the peaceable inhabitants found no great reason
to complain of his civic rule ; justice seems to have been impartially administered, though
often with much severity, and the most rigid discipline enforced on the English troops.
‘‘ Upon the 27th of September,” says Nicol, “ by orders of the General Cromwell, thair
wes thrie of his awin sodgeris scurged by the Provest Marschellis men, fiom the Stone
Chop to the Neddir Bow, and bak agane, for plundering of houssis within the toun ; and
ane uther sodger maid to ryde the Meir at the Croce of Zdinburgh, with ane ppnt stop
about his neck, his handis bund behind his back, and musketis hung at his feet, the full
space of twa hours, for being drunk.” The same punishment of riding the Mare remained
in force, as a terror to evil doers, till the destruction of the old citadel of the town-guard,
and all its accompaniments, in the year 1785.
The General again took up his residence in “ the Earl of Xurrie’s house in the Cannigate,
where a strong guard is appointed to keep constant watch at the gate ; ”’ and his
soldiers were quartered in the Palace, and billeted about the town, while actively engaged
in the siege of the Castle. The guard-house was in Dunbar’s Close, a name which it
retains from the quarters it then furnished to the victors of Dunbar ; and a tradition is
preserved, with considerable appearance of probability, that a handsome old house, still
remaining at the foot of Sellars’ Close, was occasionally occupied by Cromwell. It is a fine
Nicol’s Diary, p. 30. ’ Ibid, p. 33.
f King’s Pamphleta, apud Carlyle, vol i. p. 375.
See the Wooden Mare in the view, ante, p. 74. ... VI. TO RESTORATION OF CHARLES II. 95 as is well known, followed the Scottish forces under Leslie, in all ...

Book 10  p. 103
(Score 0.52)

cantoned with other four in the angles. The tiar, or
bonnet, was of purple velvet; but, in 1685, it got a
.cap of crimson velvet, adorned with four plates of
gold, on each of them a great pearl, and the bonnet
-is trimmed up with ermine. Upon the lowest circle
there are eight small holes, two and two, on the
-four quarters of the crown, which mere for lacing
-or tying thereto diamonds or precious stones.
The crown is g inches in diameter, 27 inches
about, and in height from the under circle to the
top of the cross patee 6; inches.
The sceptre : its stem or stalk, which is of
silver double overgilt, is two feet long, of a hexagon
form, with three buttons or knobs; betwixt the
first button and the second is the handle of a
hexagon form, furling in the middle and plain.
Betwixt the second button and the third are three
sides engraven. From the third button to the
capital the three sides under the statues are plain,
and on the other three are antique engravings. Upon
the top of the stalk is an antique capital of leaves
embossed, the abacus whereof arises round the
prolonged stem, surrounded with three little statues;
between every two statues arises a rullion in the
form of a dolphin ; above the rullions and statues
stands another hexagon button, with oak leaves
under every corner, and down it a crystjl (beryl?)
globe. The whole sceptre is in length 34 inches.?
The statues are those of the Virgin, St. Andrew,
and St. James. The royal initials, J. R. V. are
engraved under them. If James V. had this
sceptre made, the metallic settings of the great
beryl belong to some sceptre long anterior to
his time.
The sword is in length 5 feet ; the handle and
pommel are of silver overgilt, in length 15 inches.
The pommel is round and somewhat flat on the two
sides. The traverse or cross OF the sword, which
is of silver overgilt, is in length 17h inches; its
form is like two dolphins with their heads joining
and their tails ending in acorns; the shell is
hanging down towards the point of the sword,
formed like an escalop flourished, or rather like
a green oak-leaf. On the blade of the sword
are indented with gold these letters-JuLIus 11. P.
The scabbard is of crimson velvet, covered with
silver wrought in philagram-work into branches oj
the oak-tree leaves and acorns.?? Such are the
Scottish regalia, which, since the destruction 01
those of England by Cromwell, are the only ancien!
regal emblems in Great Britain.
The sword of state is of an earlier date than the
rod of the sceptre, being presented by the rvarlikr
Pope Julius to James IV. with a consecrated hai
in 1507. The keys of St. Peter figure promhentlj
among the filagree work. After the fall of the Castle
of Dunottar, in 1651, the belt of the sword became
an heirloom in the family of Ogilvie of Barras.
The great pearl in the apex of the crown is
alleged to be the same which in 1620 was found
in the burn of Kellie, a tributary of the Ythanz
in Aberdeenshire, and was so large and beautiful
that it was esteemed the best that had at any time
been found in Scotland.? Sir Thomas Menzies,
Provost of Aberdeen, obtaining this precious jewel,
presented it to James VI., who in requital gave
him twelve or fourteen chaldron of victuals about
Dunfermline, and the custom of certain merchant
goods during his life.? *
Before quitting the Castle of Edinburgh, it is impossible
to omit some special reference to Mons
Meg-that mighty bombard which is thirteen feet
long and two feet three and a half inches within the
bore, and which was long deemed by the Scots a
species of palladium, the most ancient cannon in
Europe, except one in Lisbon, and a year older
than those which were made for Mahomet 11.
Not a vestige of proof can be shown for the popular
error that this gun was forged at Mons, while unvarying
tradition, supported by very strong carroborative
evidence, proves that she was formed by
Scottish artisans, by order of James II., when he
besieged the rebellious Douglases in the castle
of Thrieve, in Galloway, during 1455. He posted
his artillery at the Three Thorns of the Carlinwark,
one of which is still surviving ; but their fire proving
ineffective, a smith named M?Kim, and his sons,
offered to construct a more efficient piece of ordnance.
Towards this the inhabitants of the vicinity
contributed each a ,rrczud, or iron bar. Tradition,
which never varied, indicated the place where it was
forged, a mound near the Three Thorns, .and when
the road was formed there, that mound was discovered
to be a mass of cinders and the iron dCbris
of a great forge. To this hour the place where the
great gun was posted is named Knock-cannon. Only
fwo of Meg?s bullets were discharged before Thrieve
surrendered, and it is remarkable that both have
been found there. ?The first,? says the New
Statistical Accowif, <?was, towards the end of thk
last century, picked out of the well and delivered to
Gordon of Greenlam. The second was discovered
in 1841, by the tenant of Thrieve, when removing
an accumulation of rubbish.? It lay in a line direct
from Knock-cannon to the breach in the wall. To
reward M?Kim Jarnes bestowed upon him the
forfeited lands of MolIFnce. The smith is said to
have nanied the gun after his wife ; and the con- ... with other four in the angles. The tiar, or bonnet, was of purple velvet; but, in 1685, it got a .cap of ...

Book 1  p. 74
(Score 0.52)

370 MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH.
were exhumed in digging for the foundation of the north pier of the Dean Bridge. They
we very slightly burned, and the ornamental devices, which have been traced on the soft
clay, bear a striking resemblance to those usually found on the fragments of ancient
pottery which have been discovered in the Tumuli of the North
American Continent. Annexed is a view of one of those discovered
at the Dean, and now in the Museum of the Society of Antiquaries.
Another interesting feature which belongs to the history of the
New Town, in common with many other cities, is the absorption of
hamlets and villages that have sprung up at an early period in the
neighbouring country and been gradually swallowed up within its
extending outskirts. First among such to fall before the progress
of the rising town, was the village of Moutrie’s Hill, which stood
on the site of the Register Office and James’ Square, the highest
ground in the New Town. This suburban hamlet is of great antiquity, and its etymology
has been the source of some very curious research. Lord Hailes remarks on the subject,
‘‘ Moutrees is supposed to be the corruption of two Gaelic words, signifying the covert
or receptacle of the wild boar.”’ It appears, however, from contemporary notices, to
have derived its name from being occupied by the mansion of the Noutrays, a family of
distinction in the time of James V. A daughter of Alexander Stewart, designed of the
Grenane, an ancestor of the Earls of Galloway, who fell at the Battle of Flodden, was
married in that reign to Moutray of Seafield.’ Upon the 26th April 1572, while the
whole country around Edinburgh was a desolate and bloody waste by reason of long
protracted civil war, a party of the Regent Mar’s soldiers, who had been disappointed in an
ambuscade they had laid for seizing Lord Claud Hamilton, one of the opposite leaders,
took five of their prisoners, Lieutenant White, Sergeant Smith, and three common soldiers,
and hanged them immediately on their return to Leith. The leaders of the Queen’s party,
in Edinburgh, retaliated by like barbarous executions, “ and causit hang the morne theirefter
twa of thair souldiouris vpoun ane trie behind Movtrays Hous, in sicht of thair
aduersaris, in lycht, quha hang ane day, and wer takin away in the nycht be the saidis
aduersaris.”’ Another annalist, who styles the locality ‘‘ The Multrayes in the hill besyid
the toun,” adds, “ The same nycht the suddartia of Leith come to the said hill and cuttit
doun the deid men, and als distroyit the growand tries thairabout, quhairon the suddartis
wer hangit. Thir warres wer callit amang the peopill the Douglass wearres.” ‘ Near to
the scene of these barbarous acts of retaliation, on the ground UON occupied by the buildings
at the junction of Waterloo Place with Shakespeare Square: formerly stood an ancient
stronghold called Dingwdl Castle. It is believed to have derived its name from John
Dingwall, who was Provost of the neighbouring Collegiate Foundation of Trinity College,
and one of the original Judges of the Court of Session on the spiritual side. The rains of
the castle appear in Gordon of Rothiemay’s map as a square keep with round towers at
its angles; and some fragments of it are believed to be still extant among the fouudations
of the buildings on its site. Near to this also there would appear to have been an
‘
Annals of Scotland, vol. i. p. 96. * Wood’s Peerage, voL i p. 618. Diurnal of Occurrents, p. 262. ’ Ibid, p. 294.
* Shakespeare Square, in the centre of which stood the old Theatre Rojal, was removed in 1860 for the erection of
the new Poet-Office. ... MEMORIALS OF EDINBURGH. were exhumed in digging for the foundation of the north pier of the Dean Bridge. ...

Book 10  p. 407
(Score 0.51)

Truir Church 1 THE TRON CHURCH. 187
is, into which the sun scarcely penetrates. But it
once contained a tavern of great consideration in
its time, ?The Star and Garter,? kept by a man
named Cleriheugh, who is referred to in ? Guy Mannering,?
for history and romance often march side
by side in Edinburgh, and Scott?s picture of the
strange old tavern is a faithful one. The reader
. of the novel may remember how, on a certain
Saturday night, when in search of Mr. Plzydell,
Dandie Dinmont, guiding Colonel Mannering,
turned into a dark alley, then up a dark stair, and
then into an open door.
While Dandie ?was whistling shrilly for the
waiter, as if he had been one of his collie dogs,
Mannering looked around him, and could hardly
conceive how a gentleman of a liberal profession
and good society should choose such a scene foi
social indulgence. Besides the miserable entrance,
the house itself seemed paltry and half ruinous.
The passage in which they stood had a window to
the close, which admitted a little Irght in the daytime,
and a villainous compound of smells at all
times, but more especially towards evening. Corresponding
to this window was a borrowed lighl
on the other side of the passage, looking into the
kitchen, which had no direct communication with
the free air, but received in the daytime, at second.
hand, such straggling and obscure light as found
its way from the lane through the window opposite.
At present, the interior of the kitchen was visible
by its own huge fires-a sort of pandemonium,
where men and women, half-dressed, were busied
in baking, boiling, roasting oysters, and preparing
devils on the gridiron; the mistress of the place,
with her shoes slipshod, and her hair straggling
like that of Megzra from under a round-eared
cap, toiling, scolding, receiving orders and giving
them and obeying them all at once, seemed the
presiding enchantress of that gloomy and fiery
Tegion.?
Yet it was in this tavern, perhaps more than any
other, that the lawyers of the olden time held
their high jinks and many convivialities. Cleriheugh?s
was also a favourite resort of the magistrates
and town councillors when a deep ,libation was
deemed an indispensable element in the adjustment
of all civic affairs; thus, in the last century,
city wags used to tell of a certain treasurer d
Edinburgh, who, on being applied to for new rope
to the Tron Kirk bell, summoned the Council to
consider the appeal. An adjournment to Cleriheugh?s
was of course necessary ; but as one dinnei
was insufficient for the settlement of this weighty
matter, it was not until three had been discussed
that the bill was settled, and the old rope spliced !
Before proceeding with the general history ot
the High Street we will briefly notice that of the
Tron Church, and of the great fire in which it was
on the eve of perishing.
The old Greyfriars, with the other city churches,
being found insufficient for the increasing population,
the Town Council purchased two sites, on
which they intended to erect religious fabrics.
One was on the Castle Hill, where the reservoir
now stands ; the other was where the present Tron
Church is now built. This was in the year 1637,
when the total number of householders, as shown
by the Council records, could not have been much
over 5,000, as a list made four years before ?shows
the numbers to have been 5,071, and the annual
amount ofrents payable by them only ;EI~z,I 18 ss.,
hots money.
Political disturbances retarded the progress of
both these new churches. The one on the Castle
Hill was totally abandoned, after having been
partially destroyed by the English during the siege
in 1650 ; and the other-the proper name of which
is Christ?s Church at the Tron-was not ready for
public worship till 1647, nor was it completely
finished ,till 1663, at the cost of A6,000, so much
did war with England and the contentions of the
Covenanters and Cavaliers retard everything and
impoverish the nation. On front of the tower over
the great doorway a large ornamented panel bears
the city arms in alto-relievo, and beneath them the
inscription-XDEM HANC CHRISTO ET ECCLESIE
SACRARUNT CIVES EDINBGRGENSES,, ANNO Doxr
MDCLI. It is finished internally with an open roof
of timber-work, not unlike that of the Parliament
House.
Much of the material used in the construction of
the sister church on the Castle Hill was pulled
down and used in the walls of the Tron, which the
former was meant closely to resemble, if we may
judge from the plan of Gordon of Rothiemay. 10
1644 the magistrates bought 1,000 stone weight of
copper in Amsterdam to cover the roof; but such
were the exigencies of the time that it was sold,
and stones and lead were substituted in its place.
In 1639 David Mackall, a merchant of Edinburgh;
gave >,so0 merks, or about ;E194 sterling,
to the magistrates in trust, for purchasing land, to
be applied to the maintenance of a chaplain in
the Tron Church, where he was to preach every
Sunday morning at six o?clock, or such other hour
as the wgistrates should appoint They may be
truly said, continues Arnot, ?to have hid this
talent in a napkin. They did not? appoint a
preacher for sixty-four years. As money then
bore ten per cent., although the interest of thii ... Church 1 THE TRON CHURCH. 187 is, into which the sun scarcely penetrates. But it once contained a tavern of ...

Book 1  p. 187
(Score 0.51)

Queen Street.] SIR JAMES GRANT OF GRANT. I57
own performance that he tumbled off his chair in a
fit of laughter.?
No. 62 Queen Street was inhabited by Lord
Jeffrey from 1802 till 1810. In the following year
it became the residence of Sir John Leslie, K.H.,
Professor of Mathematics in the University of
Edinburgh, who in 1800 invented the differential
thermometer, one of the most beautiful and delicate
instruments that inductive genius? ever contrived
as a help to experimental research ; and the
results of his inquiries concerning the nature and
laws of heat, in which he was so much aided by
this exquisite instrument, were published in 1804,
in his celebrated ?Essay on the Nature and Propagation
of Heat.? Sir John Leslie was one of
those many self-made men who are peculiarly the
glory of Scotland, for he was the son of a poor
joiner in Largo, yet he attained to the highest
honours a university can bestow. In 1832, along
with Herschel, Brewster, Hams, Nichols, and others,
on the recommendation of Lord Brougham, he was
created a Knight of the Guelphic Order, but died
in the November of that year from an attack of
erysipelas.
No. 64 was, and is still, the town residence of
the Earls of Weniyss, but has had many other
tenants. Among others here resided ?? Lang Sandy
Gordon? as he was named in those days of simple
and unassuming familiarity, the son of William,
second Earl of Aberdeen, who was admitted an
advocate in 1759, and became Stewart-depute of
Kirkcudbright in 1764. Twenty years afterwards
he was raised to the bench as Lord Rockville, and
resided long in the close which bore .that name on
the Castle Hill, and afterwards in Queen Street
He was remarkable for his manly beauty and
handsome figure. He was a member of the Crochallan
Club, and a great convivialist. Walking
down the High Street one day, when the pavement
was unsafe by ice, he fell, and broke his arm.
He was conveyed to Provost Elder?s shop, opposite
the Tron church, where surgical aid was procured
and his arm dressed ; but, unfortunately, when his
friends were conveying him to his new home at
No. 64, one of the chairmen fell and overturned
the sedan in the street, which unsettled the splinting
of his lordship?s arm, and ultimately brought on
afever, of which he died on the 13th of March,
?792.
No. 64 was afterwards occupied by Sir James
Grant, Bart., of Grant, usually known as ?the
good Sir James.? His town house, with extensive
stable-offices, had previously been at the ,foot of
the Canongate, where it was advertised for sale
in 1797, as ? presently possessed by Professor
Stewart.? At a period when the extensive Highland
proprietors were driving whole colonies of
people from the abodes of their forefathers, and
compelling them to seek on distant shores that
shelter which was denied them on their own, and
?when absenteeism and the vices of courtly intrigue
and fashionable dissipation had sapped the
morality of too many of our landholders, Sir James
Grant escaped the contagion, and during a long
life was distingifished for the possession of those
virtues which are the surest bulwarks of the peace,
happiness, and strength of a country. Possessed
of extensive estates, and surrounded by a numerous
tenantry, his exertions seemed to be equally devoted
to the progressive improvement of the one
and the present comfort and enjoyment of the
other.? ?
Among his clau he raised two regiments of Highland
Fencibles within a few months of each other.
One was numbered as the 97th, or Strathspey
Regiment, 1,800 strong, and a portion of it joined
the 4nnd for service in the West Indies. Sir
James died at Castle Grant in 181 I.
No. 66, now offices, was occupied by Stewart of
Castle Stewart ; and in No. 68 lived George Joseph
Bell, Advocate, Professor of Law, and author of
? Principles of the Law of Scotland.? No. 7 I, in
181 I, was the residence of Francis, Lord Napier,
who served in the American war under General.
Burgoyne, but left the army in 1789. He took a
leading part in many local affiirs, was Grand
Master Mason of Scotland, Colonel of the Hopetoun
Fencibles in 1793, Commissioner to the
General Assembly in 1802, and a member of the
Board of Trustees for the Encouragement of Scottish
Manufactures and Fisheries.
His prominently aquiline face and figure were
long remarkable in Edinburgh ; though, at a time
when gentlemen usually wore gaudy coloursfrequently
a crimson or purple coat, a green plush
vest, black breeches, and white stockings-when
not in uniform, he always dressed plainly, and with
the nicest attention to propriety. An anecdote of
his finical taste is thus given in Lockhart?s ?Life
of Scott ? :-
?Lord and Lady Napier arrived at Castlemilk
(in Lanarkshire), with the intention of staying a
week, but next morning it was announced that a
circumstance had occurred which rendered it indispensable
for them to return without delay to
their own seat in Selkirkshire. It was impossible
for Lady Stewart to extract any further explanation
at the moment, but it afterwards turned out that
Lord Napier?s valet had committed the grievous
mistake of packing up a set of neckcloths which ... Street.] SIR JAMES GRANT OF GRANT. I57 own performance that he tumbled off his chair in a fit of ...

Book 3  p. 157
(Score 0.51)

CHAPTER XI.
ECCLESIASTICAL ANTIQUITIES.
EXT to the Castle of Edinburgh, the ancient
Parish Church of St Giles, and the Abbey
of Holyrood, form the most prominent objects
of interest in the history of the capital. The
existence of the first Parish Church of Edinburgh
is traced to the second century after the death
of its tutelar saint, the Abbot and Confeseor
St Giles, who was born in Greece, of illustrious
parentage, in the sixth century, and afterwards
abandoning his native land, and bestowing his
wealth on the poor, retired into the wilderness
of Languedoc, and founded the celebrated
monastery which long after bore his name.
To some wandering brother from the banks
of the Rhone, we probably owe the dedication
of the ancient Parish Church of Edinburgh
to St Giles, a favourite saint who owes his
honours in the southern capital to Matilda,
the Queen of Henry I. of England, and daughter
of St Margaret, Queen of Malcolm Canmore,
who founded there St Giles’s Hospit.al for
lepers, in 11 17. The Bishopric of Lindisfarn,
which comprehended Edinburgh, dates so early
as A.D. 835, and Simeon of Durham, in reckoning
the churches and towns belonging to the see in the pear.854, mentions EdminsburcA among
the latter.’ We can only infer the existence of the Church, however, from this notice, as it
is not directly mentioned, nor can we discorer its name in any authentic record till the
-reign of Alexander 11.-who succeeded his father, William the Lion, in 1214-when
Baldredus, Deacon of Lothian, and John, Perpetual Vicar of the Church of St Giles, at
Edinburgh, a f b their seals in attestation of a copy of certain Papal bulls and other charters
Maitland, p. 270.
VIGNETTE-chapel of Robed, Duke of Albany, St ades’s Church.
3 B ... XI. ECCLESIASTICAL ANTIQUITIES. EXT to the Castle of Edinburgh, the ancient Parish Church of St Giles, ...

Book 10  p. 414
(Score 0.51)

CHAPTER IX.
THE WEST BOW AND SUBURBS.
N the centre of the ancient city there I stood, till a few years since, a
strange, crooked, steep, and altogether
singular and picturesque avenue from
the High Street to the low valley on the
south, in which the more ancient extensions
of the once circumscribed Scottish
capital are reared. Scarcely anything
can be conceived more curious and whimsically
grotesque than its array of irregular
stone gables and timber galleries,
that seemed as if jostling one another
for room along the steep and narrow
thoroughfare ; while the busy throng
were toiling up or hurrying down its
precipitous pathways, amid the ceaseless
din of braziers’ and tinsmiths’ hammers,
for which it was famed, and the rumbling
of wheels, accompanied with the vociferous
shouts of a host of noisy assistants,
as some heavy-laden wain creeked
and groaned up the steep. The modern
visitor who now sees the Bowhead, an open
area nearly on a level with the Castle
drawbridge, and then by gradual and
easy descent of long flights of stairs, and the more gentle modern slope of Victoria
Street, at length reaches The Bowfoot Well in the Grassmarket, will hardly be persuaded
that between these two widely different elevations there extended only a few years
since a thoroughfare crowded with antique tenements, quaint inscriptions, and E t i l l
more strange and interesting associations ; unmatched in its historic and traditionary
memories by any other spot of the curious old capital, whose memories we seek to
revive. Here were the Templar Lands, with their antique gables, surmounted by the
croBs that marked them as beyond the reach of civic corporation laws, and with their old-
.
~IC+Nrrr+?tfajor Weir’s HOUS~. ... IX. THE WEST BOW AND SUBURBS. N the centre of the ancient city there I stood, till a few years since, ...

Book 10  p. 364
(Score 0.51)

KING’S STABLES, CASTLE BARNS, AND CASTLE HILL. I49
which had been broken away. We furnish an engraving of this apartment also, in the
dilapidated state in which it existed in its latter days, with the large fireplace concealed,
all but one clustered pillar, by a wooden partition.’ This apartment had also been finished
with highly carved ornamental work, considerable portions of which had only been
removed a few years previous to the entire destruction of the whole building. One
beautiful fragment of this, which we have seen, consists of a series of oak panellings,
about eight feet high, divided into four compartments by five terminal figures in high relief,
and the panels all richly finished in different patterns of arabesque ornament of the
finest workmanship. The demolition of this house. in 1845 brought to light a curious
small concealed chamber on the first floor, lighted by a very narrow aperture looking
into Nairn’s Close. The entrance to it had been by a movable panel in the room just
described, affording access to a narrow flight of steps, ingeniously wound round the wall of
a turnpike stair, and thereby effectually preventing any suspicion being excited by the
appearance it made. The existence of this mysterious chamber was altogether unknown to
the inhabitants, and all traditiou had been lost as to the ancient occupants to whom it
doubtless afforded refuge.
Another apartment in this portion of the house, on the same flat with the fine Gothic
fireplace described above, was called the Queen’s Dead Room, where the noble occupants
of the mansion were said to have lain in state, ere their removal to their final resting-place.
The room had formerly been painted black, to adapt it to the gloomy purpose for which
it was set apart, and the more recent coats of whitewash it had received very imperfectly
veiled its lugubrious aspect. The style of the fittings of this room, however, and indeed of
the greater portion of the building, was evidently long posterior to the date of erection, and
the panel over the mantelpiece was filled with a landscape, painted in the manner of Old
Norie. The inhabitant of this part of the house, when we last visited it, was a respectable
old lady, who kept her share of the Palace in a remarkably clean and comfortable condition,
and took great pride in pointing out its features to strangers. She professed an intimate
knowledge of the original uses of the several portions of the house, and showed a comfortable-
looking room on the first floor, commanding a very fine view to the north, which
she called the Queen’s bedroom. Two round arched or waggon-shaped ceilings were
brought to view in the progress of demolition, richly decorated with painted devices, in a
style corresponding with the date of erection, and both concealed by flat, modern, plaster
ceilings constructed below them. One of these, situated immediately above what was styled
the Queen’s bedroom, had been lighted by windows ranged along each side of the arched
roof, and in its original state must have formed a lofty and very elegant room. The roof,
which was of wood, was painted in rich arabesques and graceful designs offlowers, fruit,
leaves, &c., surrounding panels with inscriptions in Gothic letters. On one portion all that
could be made out was, ge arbbili$ OF tt aigfitfob& On another was perfectly
dehed the following metrical legend :-
e
1 These remains are mentioned in Chambers‘s Traditions, with thin addition-‘#At the right-hand side is a pillar in
the wme htg on the top of which there formerly, and till within theae-few years, etood the statue of a saint presiding
over the font.” The author had doubtless been misled in this by the traditions of the neighbourhood, and the appearance
of the jamb of the ancient fireplace partially exposed. We may remark that, except where it appears absolutely
necessary for preventing confusion or error, we have avoided directing attention to those points on which we differ from
previous writers. ... STABLES, CASTLE BARNS, AND CASTLE HILL. I49 which had been broken away. We furnish an engraving of this ...

Book 10  p. 161
(Score 0.51)

326 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. 11745.
-the identical vehicle in which the deputies had returned
from Gray?s Mill, and the driver of which
wanted to pass out at that critical juncture. ?Open
the port,? he cried, ?for I behove to get out.? ?You
cannot,? yeplied the sentinel, ?without an order from
Provost Stewart.? ?Let the coach out instantly,?
said James Gillespie, under-keeper of the gate,
?:for I have an order to that effect.? ?Oh, sir, ?tis
very well; you have the keys of the port and must
answer for it,? replied the soldier,. as he pulled
back the ponderous gate in the arch between its
two massive towers.
At that moment a Highlander sprang in and
wrested his musket from him ; it was the chief of
Lochiel; and immediately the whole clan Cameron
advanced up the street, with swords drawn and
colours flying, their pipes playing
? We?ll awa to Shirramuir,
And haud the Whigs ip order.?
Other noise there was none, and no bloodshed;
not an armed man was to be seen on the streets, to
the astonishment of the Highlanders, who saw only
the people in their nightdresses, at the windows,
by the light of the early dawn.
They seized the Guard-house, disarmed the
Guard, captured the cannon and arsenal, placed
pickets at the eight principal gates with the
utmost order and regularity, while the magistrates
retired to their houses, aware that their authority
was ended. .
Generals Guest and Preston hoisted the royal
standard on the Castle, and fired a few cannon to
warn all to keep from its vicinity, and, meanwhile,
after two hours? sleep, Charles prepared to take
possession of the palace of his forefathers. Making
a tour to the south, to avoid the fire of the Castle
till he reached Braidsburn, he turned towards the
city as far as the Hare Stone, a mass of granite
on the turnpike road near Morningside-the old
banner stone of the Burghmuir. He then wheeled
to the east by the beech-shaded Grange Loan (now
bordered by villas, sequestered and grassy then),
which leads by the old house of the Grange to the
Causeway side
Near Priestfield he entered the royal parks by
a breach that had been made in the wall, and
traversed the Hunter?s Bog, that had echoed so
often .to the bugles of his ancestors. Leaving his
troops to take up their camp, about noon he rode
-with what emotions we may imagine-towards
old Holyrood, of a thousand stirring memories,
attended by the Duke of Perth and Lord Elcho,
with a train of gentlemen and the veterans of his
Highland guard-veterans of Sherriffmuir and Glenshiel-
eighty in number, at the very time that Sir
John Cope?s armament was disembarking at Dunbar.
On reaching the eminence below St. Anthony?s
chapel and well, when for the first time he came
in sight of the old palace, he alighted from his
horse, and paused to survey the beautiful scene.
Then descending to the Duke?s Walk (so called
because it had been a favourite resort of his grandfather,
to whose flagrant misgovernment he owed
his exile) he halted for a few minutes to show himself
to the people, who now flocked around him in
great numbers with mingled feelings of ccriosity
and admiration. Loud huzzas came from the
crowd, and many of the enthusiastic Jacobites
knelt down and kissed his hand. He then
mounted his horse-a fine bay gelding, presented
to him by the Duke of Perth-and rode slowly
towards the palace. On arriving in front of Holyrood
he alighted, and was about to enter the royal
dwelling, when a cannon ball fired from the Castle
struck the front of Jarnes V.?s tower, and brought
down a quantity of rubbish into the court-yard.
No injury was done, however, by this gratuitous
act of annoyance, and the Prince, passing in at the
outer gate, and proceeding along the piazza, and
the quadrangle, was about to enter the porch of
what are called the Duke of Hamilton?s apartments,
when James Hepburn of Keith, who had takeii
part in the rising of 1715, ?a model of ancient
simplicity, manliness, and honour,? stepped from
the crowd, bent his knee in token of homage, and
then drawing his sword, raised it aloft, and marshalled
the way before Charles up-stairs.?
On this day Charles wore a short tartan coat, with
the star of St- Andrew, a blue velvet bonnet, and
white cockade, a blue ribbon over his shoulder,
scarlet breeches, and military boots, Tall, handsome,
fair, and noble in aspect, he excited the
admiration of all those fearless Jacobites, the ladies
especially. ?All were charmed with his appearance,?
says Home; ?they compared him to
Robert Bruce, whom he resembled, they said, in
his figure and fortune. The Whigs looked upon
him with other eyes; they acknowledged that he
was a goodly person, but observed that even in
that triumphant hour, when about to enter the
palace of his fathers, the air of his countenance was
languid and melancholy; that he looked like a
gentleman and man of fashion, but not like a hero
or conqueror.? He adds, however, that he was
greeted with acclaim by the peasantry, who, whenever
he went abroad, sought to kiss his hand3 and
even to touch his clothes.
At one o?clock on the same day a body of the
Cameron clansmen was drawn up around the ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. 11745. -the identical vehicle in which the deputies had returned from Gray?s Mill, and ...

Book 2  p. 326
(Score 0.51)

334 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. 11746.
b
ONE of the most important events in the annals
of Edinburgh was the erection of the North
Bridge, by means of which, in spite of years of
opposition, the long-suggested plan for having a
his just and honourable cause.?? His wife pleaded
for his pardon at the feet of George 11. in vain,
and, like the others, ?he died with his last breath
imploring a blessing on Prince Charles.?
Lord Arundel of Wardour relates the following
anecdote :-? Many years after the Stuart rising,
the Duke of Cumberland being present at a ball
at Bath, indicated as a person with whom he
would like to dance, a beautiful girl, the daughter
of Major Macdonald who was executed at Carlisle,
and the circumstances of whose last moments
supplied Sir Walter Scott with the incidents of
M?Ivor?s execution in ? Waverley.? The lady rose
in deference to the prince, but replied in a tone
which utterly discomfited his Royal Highness,
? NO, sir, I will never dance with the murderer yf
my father/ ? ?
The Duke, with an army overwhelming in numbers,
as contrasted with that of Charles, passed
through Edinburgh on the ~ 1 s t of February, 1746,
not marching at the head of his troops, like the
latter, but travelling in a coach-and-six presented
to him by the Earl of Hopetoun; and on being
joined by 6,000 Hessians, who landed under the
Landgrave at Leith, he proceeded to obliterate
? all memory of the last disagreeable affair ? as the
rout at Falkirk was named. As he passed up
the Canongate and High Street he is said to have
expressed great surprise at the .number of broken
windows he saw ; but when informed that this was
the result of a recent illumination in his honour,
and that a shattered casement indicated the residence
of a Jacobite, he laughed heartily, remarking,
?that he was better content with this explanation,
ill as it omened to himself and his family, than
he could have been with his first impression,
which ascribed the circumstance to poverty or
negligence.?
A vast mob followed his coach, which passed
through the Grassmarket, and quitted the city by
new and enlarged city, beyond the walls an&
barriers of the old one, was eventually and successfully
developed to an extent far beyond what
its enthusiastic and patriotic projectors caul$.
the West Port, en route to Culloden, and ?at midnight
on Saturday the 19th of April Viscount
Bury, colonel of the 20th Regiment, aide-de-camp.
to the Duke of Cumberland, reined up his jaded
horse at the Castle gate, bearer of a despatch t e
the Lieutenant-General, announcing the victory ;.
and at two o?clock on the morning of Sunday a.
salute from the batteries informed the startled and
anxious citizens that, quenched in blood on the.
Muir of Drummossie, the star of the Stuarts had
sunk for ever.?
The standard of Charles, which Tullybardine.
unfurled in Glenfinnan, and thirteen others belonging
to chiefs, with several pieces of artillery and a
quantity of arms, were brought to the Castle and
lodged in the arsenal, where some of the latter
still remain; and one field-piece, which was placed
on abattery to the westward, was long an object
of interest to the people. With a spite that seems.
childish now, by order of Cumberland those
standards, whose insignia were all significant ot
high descent and old achievement, were camed ia
procession to the Cross. The common hangmall.
bore that of Charles, thirteen Tronmen, or sweeps,.
bore the rest, and all were flung into a fire,
guarded by the 44th Regiment, while the heralds
proclaimed the name of each chief to whom they
belonged-hchiel, Clanranald, Keppoch, Glengarry,
and so forth ; while the crowd looked on in
silence. By this proceeding, so petty in its character,
Cumberland failed alike to inflict an injuryon
the character of the chiefs or their faithful
followers, among whom, at that dire time, the
bayonet, the gibbet, the torch, and the axe, were
everywhere at work; and, when we consider his.
blighted life and reputation in the long years that
followed, it seems that it would have been well had
the Young Chevalier, the ?bonnie Prince Charlie ?
of so much idolatry, found his grave on the Moor
of Culloden.
. . ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. 11746. b ONE of the most important events in the annals of Edinburgh was the erection ...

Book 2  p. 334
(Score 0.51)

CHAPTER VIII.
ST LEONARDS, ST MARY’S WYND, AND THE COWGATE.
HE date of erection of the first houses in the ancient thoroughfare of the Cowgate
may be referred, without hesitation, to the reign of James III., when the example
of the King, who, as Drummond relates, “was much given to buildings, and trimming
up of chnppels, halls, and gardens,” was likely to encourage his courtiers in rearing
elegant and costly mansions ; and when, at the same time, the frequent assembling of
the Parliament and the presence of the Court at Edinburgh, were calculated to drive them
beyond the recently-built walls of the capital. Evidence, indeed, derived from some early
charters, seems to prove the existence of buildings beyond the range of the first wall,
prior to its erection, but these were at most one or two isolated and rural dwellings, and
cannot be considered as having formed any part of the street.
The whole southern slope of the Old Town, on which the steep closes extending
between the High Street and the Cowgate have since been reared, must then have formed
a rough and unencumbered bank, surmounted by the massive wall and towers erected by
virtue of the charter of James 11. in 1450, and skirted at its base by the open roadway
that led from the Abbey of Holyrood to the more ancient Church of St Cuthbert, below
the Castle rock. It requires, indeed, a stretch of the imagination to conceive this crowded
steep, which has rung for centuries with the busy sounds of life and industry, a rugged
slope, unoccupied save by brushwood and flowering shrubs ; yet the change effected on it
in the fifteenth century was only such another extension as many living can remember to
have witnessed on a greater scale over the downs and cultivated fields now occupied by
VIGNETTE-Ancient Doorway, foot of Horse Wynd, Cowgate. ... VIII. ST LEONARDS, ST MARY’S WYND, AND THE COWGATE. HE date of erection of the first houses in the ...

Book 10  p. 338
(Score 0.5)

THE CAiVONGA TE ANB ABBE Y SANCTUAR Y.
Earl, who took an active share in promoting the Union. He was soon after elevated to a
dukedom in the British Peerage, and successively filled the offices of Keeper of the Privy
Seal and Secretary of State for Scotland.
At the head of Reid’s Close stands the ancient and picturesque stone tenement,
designated in the accompanying engraving Nisbet of Dirleton’s House, which appears by
the date on it to have been erected in the year 1624. Its basement story is substantially
arched with stone, in accordance with the fashion of that age, when a citizen’s mansion
had occasionally to be made his castle, in a very different sense from that which is now
maintained as the theory of Britis& law. This edifice, which was probably reared by
eome courtier of note and influence at that period, afterwards became the residence of
Sir John Nisbet, who waa promoted to the Bench in 1664, under the title of Lord
Dirleton, and was the last who held the office of Lord Advocate conjointly with that of
a Judge. He was the predecessor of Sir George Mackenzie as Lord Advocate, and is
accused, both by Kirkton and Wodrow, of making himself the tool of the Bishops. The
latter relates a curious instance of his zeal in persecuting the unfortunate Covenanters.
Robert Gray having been brought before the Council, and examined a8 to his knowledge
of the hiding places of some of the leaders of that party, withvut their succeeding in
obtaining from him the desired information, Sir John took a ring from the man’s finger
and sent it to Mrs Gray by a trusty messenger, who informed her that her husband had
told all he knew of the Whigs, and that he sent this ring to her in token that she might
do the same. Deceived by this ingenious fraud, the poor woman revealed their places of
concealment; but her husband was so affected that he sickened and died a few days after.
The south front of the house &ppears in the engraving of Reid’s Close, and is singularly
A little further to the eastward, on the same side, is the huge mansion erected by
William, first Duke of Qneensberry, the builder of Drumlanrig Castle, who exercised
almost absolute power in Scotland during the latter years of the reign of Charles II.,
and presided as High Commissioner in the first Parliament of James VII. He afterwards
took an active share in the revolution that placed the Prince of Orange on the throne ; a
step which did not prove sufficient to redeem him from the hatred of the Presbyterian
party, against whom his power had been used in a very cruel and arbitrary manner.
Ee died in the Canongate in 1695. His character was made up of the strangest contradictions
; a great miser, yet magnificent in buildings and pleasure grounds ; illiterate,
yet a collector of books, and commanding in his letters-which he dictated to a secretarya
style that is admirable.‘ Hia son, the active promoter of the union, and the Lord High
Commissioner under whose auspices it was accomplished, kept court here during that
stormy period, and frequently found his huge mansion surrounded by the infuriated mob
who so pertinaciously pursued every abettor of that hated measure.’ But the most
- picturesque, and somewhat unique in its character.
-
, A collection of his lettem now in the possassion of C. E. Sharpe, Esq., would form a curious and valuable acquisition
to the liter.ary world if published. ’ A myaterioua and horrible story is related in the “ Traditions of Edinburgh,” comerning the Duke’s eldest son,
Lord Drumlanrig, an idiot, who, being deaerted by his keeper on the day the union was passed-the whole household
having gone off, with the exception ol a little kitehen boy-escaped from his confinement, murdered the boy, and was
found roasting him at the fire when the domestics returned in triumph b o r n the Parliament Close. The dreadful tale
soon became known, and it waa universally regarded as a judgment on the Duke for hia ahare in the union. ... CAiVONGA TE ANB ABBE Y SANCTUAR Y. Earl, who took an active share in promoting the Union. He was soon after ...

Book 10  p. 326
(Score 0.5)

The Cowgate.] THE CUNZIE NOOK. 267
dexter hand palmed, and in its palm an eye. In
the dexter canton, a saltire argent, under the imperial
crown, surmounted by a thistle j and in base
a castle argent, masoned sable, within a border,
charged with instruments used by the society. To
the surgeons. were added the apothecaries.
James IV., one of the greatest patrons of art and
science in his time, dabbled a little in surgery and
chemistry, and had an assistant, John the Leeche,
whom he brought from the Continent. Pitscottie
tells us that James was ?ane singular guid chirurgione,?
and in his daily expense book, singular
entries occur in 1491, of payments made to people
to let him bleed them and pull their teeth :-
?Item, to ane fallow, because the King pullit
furtht his twtht, xviii shillings.
?Item, to Kynnard, ye barbour, for tua teith
drawin furtht of his hed be the King, xvci sh.?
The barbers were frequently refractory, and
brought the surgeons into the Court of Session t e
adjust rights, real or imagined. But after the union
of the latter with the apothecaries, they gave up
the barber craft, and were formed into one corporation
by an Act of Council, on the 25th February,
1657, as already mentioned in the account of
the old Royal College of Surgeons.
The first admitted after the change, was Christopher
Irving, recorded as ?? ane free chmgone,?
without the usual words ?and barber,? after his
name. He was physician to James VII., and from
him the Irvings of Castle Irving, in .Ireland, are
descended.
CHAPTER XXXIII.
THE SOCIETY.
The Candlemaker Row--The ? Cunzie Nook?-Tbe of Charles 1.-The Candlemakers? Hall--The Afhk of Dr. Symons-The Society, IS+
Brown Square-Proposed Statue to George III., x~-Di&nguished Inhabitants-Si IsIay Campbell-Lard Glenlec-Haigof Beimerside
--Si John Lerlie-Miss Jeannie Elliot-Argyle Square-Origin of it-Dr. Hugh Bkit-The Sutties of that Ilk-Trades Maiden Hospital-
-Mint0 House and the Elliots-New Medical School-Baptist Church-Chambers Strect-Idustrial Museum of Sdence and Art-Its
Great Hall and adjoining Halls-Aim of the Architect-Contents and Models briefly glanced at-New Watt Institution and School of
ArtsPhrenoloEical Museum-New Free Tron Church-New Tiainiing College of the Church of Scotland-The Dental Hospita-The
.
Theatre ofvari.&s.
THE Candlemaker Row is simply the first portion
of the old way that led from the Grassmarket and
Cowgate-head, where Sir John Inglis resided in
1784, to the lands of Bnsto, and thence on to
Powburn ; and it was down this way that a portion
of the routed Flemings, with Guy of Namur at their
head, fled towards the Castle rock, after their
defeat on the Burghmuir in 1335.
In Charles I.?s time a close line of street with a
great open space behind occupied the whole of the
east side, from the Greyfriars Port to the Cowgatehead.
The west side was the boundary wall of the
churchyard, save at the foot, where two or three
houses appear in 1647, one of which, as the Cunzie
Nook, is no doubt that referred to by Wilson as
a curious little timber-fronted tenement, surmounted
with antique crow-steps ; an open gallery
projects in front, and rude little; shot-windows admit
the light to the decayed and gloomy chambers
therein.? This, we presume, to be the Cunzie Nook,
a place where the Mint had no doubt been estab
Cshed at some early period, possibly during some
of the strange proceedings in the Regency of Mary
of Guise, when the Lords of the Congregation
?past to Holyroodhous, and tuik and intromettit
With the ernis of the Cunzehous.?
On the west side, near the present entrance to
the churchyard of the Greyfriars, stands the hall of
the ancient Corporation of the Candlemakers, which
gave its name to the Row, with the arms of the
craft boldly cut over the doorway, on a large oblong
panel, and, beneath, their appropriate motto,
. Omnia man;jesfa Zuce.
Internally, the hall is subdivided into many residences,
smaller accommodation sufficing for the
fraternity in this age of gas, so that it exists little
more than in name. In 1847 the number of its
members amounted to only fhw, who met periodically
for various purposes, connected with the corporation
and its funds.
Edgar?s plan shows, in the eighteenth century, the
close row of houses that existed along the whole of
the west side, from the Bristo Port to the foot, and
nearly till Forrest Road was opened up in a linewith
the central Meadow Walk.
Humble though this locality may seem now, Sir
James Dunbar, Bart., of Dum, rented No. ZI in
1810, latterly a carting office. In those days the
street was a place ?of considerable bustle; the
Hawick dilligence started twice weekly from
Paterson?s Inn, a well-known hostel in its time, ... Cowgate.] THE CUNZIE NOOK. 267 dexter hand palmed, and in its palm an eye. In the dexter canton, a saltire ...

Book 4  p. 267
(Score 0.5)

  Previous Page Previous Results   Next Page More Results

  Back Go back to Edinburgh Bookshelf

Creative Commons License The scans of Edinburgh Bookshelf are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.