Edinburgh Bookshelf

Edinburgh Bookshelf

Search

Index for “dreghorn castle”

?745.1 THE CLAN REGIMENTS. 327
venerable Market Cross, with the heralds, pursuivants,
and the magistrates (many most unwillingly)
in their robes, while Mr. David Beath
proclaimed ? James VIII., King of Scotland,
England, France, and Ireland,? in the usual old
form, and read the Commission of Regency, dated
1743, with the manifesto of the Prince, dated at
Paris, May 16th, 1745. A number of ladies on
horseback, with swords drawn, acted as a guard of
honour. ? A great multitude of sympathising
spectators was present at the ceremony, and
testified their satisfaction by cordial cheers. In
the evening the long-deserted apartments of
Holyrood were enlivened by a ball, at which the
Jacobite ladies were charmed with the elegant
manners and vivacity of the youthful aspirant to
the throne.??
On the
following day Lord Nairne came in with the Atliol
Highlanders; old Lord Kellie came in with only
an aged serving man ; the Grants of Glenmomston,
250 strong, marched in on the morning of the
zoth, but the main body of the clan stood aloof,
though Lord Balmerino and m a y other noble
and disinherited gentlemen (who came almost unattended)
joined the standard.
The Highlanders remained within their camp,
or when in the city behaved themselves with the
utmost order and decorum; no outrages occurred,
and no brawls of any kind ensued ; meanwhile, the
garrison remained close within the Castle, and till
after the battle of Preston Pans, no collision took
place between them and the troops.
Their quiet, orderly, and admirable conduct
formed a marked difference between them and
most of the merciless ruffians, who, under Hawley,
Huske, and Ctmberland, disgraced the British
uniform; for the little army of Charles Edward
vas as orderly as it was brave, and organised in a
fashion of its own-the discipline of the modem
system being added easily to the principle of clanship,
and the whole-then only 3,000-were now
completely equipped with the arms found in the
city. The pay of a captain was 2s. 6d. daily; of
a lieutenant, 2s. ; ensign, IS. 6d. ; of a private, 6d.
In the clan regiments every company had a double
set of officers. The Leine chrios (shirt of mail) or
chosen men, were in the centre of each battalion,
to defend the chief and colours. The front rank,
when in line, consisted of the best blood of the
clan and the best armed-particularly those who
had targets. All these received IS. daily while the
Prince?s money lasted.
The battle of Preston Pans is apart from the
history _ . - of Edinburgh; . but there, on the 20th Sep
But few took up arms in his cause.
:ember, the Highlanders, suffering under innumerrble
disadvantages, gained a signal victory, in a
?ew minutes, over a well-disciplined and veteran
rrmy, sweeping it from the field in irretrievable
:onfusion. The cavalry escaped by the speed
if their horses, but all the infantry were killed
)r taken, with their colours, cannon, baggage,
Irums, and military chest containing L6,ooo.
Zharles, who, the night before the victory, slept
.n a little house still shown at Duddingston, bore
lis conquest with great moderation and modesty,
:ven proposing to put the wounded-among whom
vas the Master of Torphichen, suffering from
wenty sword wounds, of which he died-in Holy-
:ood, but the Royal Infirmary was preferred, as the
?alace was required for the purposes ,of royalty.
On the zrst, preceded by IOO pipers playing
:?The king shall enjoy his own again,? the prisoners,
to the number of 1,500, of whom 80 were
Dfficers, were marched through Edinburgh (prior
:o their committal to Logierait and the Castle
If Doune), together with the baggage train, which
nad been taken by the Camerons, and the colours
if the 13th and 14th Light Dragoons, the 6th, 44th,
+6th, 47th, and Loudon?s Corps. The Prince had
the good taste not to accompany this triumphal
procession. The officers were for a time placed
in Queensberry House in the Canongate.
Curiously enough, Sir John Cope?s cannon were
all captured on a tramway, or line of wooden rails,
the first of the kind known in Europe, and belonging
to some coal-pits in the vicinity of the field.
The pusillanimity of the regulars was very sinylar,
but none more so than that of a party of
light dragoons commanded by Major Caulfield,
who fled from the field to the Castle of Edinburgh,
1 distance of ten miles, permitting themselves to
be pursued by a single horseman, Colquhoun Grant
of Burnside-a little property near Castle Grantwho,
in the battle, at the head of twenty-eight
Highlanders, captured two pieces of cannon. He
pursued the fugitives to the very gates of the
Castle, which received them, and were closed at
his approach. After this he leisurely rode down
the street, and,?aRer being measured for a tartan
suit in the Luckenbooths, left the city by the
Nether Bow-his resolute aspect, ?? bloody sword,
and blood-stained habiliments ? striking terror into
all who thought of opposing him. Grant was selected
as one of the Prince?s Life Guards, under Lord
Elcho. The dress of these Guards was blue faced
with red, and scarlet waistcoats laced with gold ;
the horse-fumiture the same. He lived long after
these events as a Writer to the Signet in Edinburgh,
where he died in 1792. _. He resided in Gavinloch?s ... THE CLAN REGIMENTS. 327 venerable Market Cross, with the heralds, pursuivants, and the magistrates (many ...

Book 2  p. 327
(Score 0.61)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 79
In 1794, while second in command of the forces in Scotland, in consequence
of a mutiny in the Breadalbane Regiment of Fencibles, then stationed at Glasgow,'
General Leslie, Colonel Montgomerie (afterwards Earl of Eglinton), and
Sir James Stewart, left Edinburgh to take charge of the troops collected for
the purpose of compelling the mutineers to surrender. By the judicious
management, however, of Lord Adam Gordon, then Commander-in-Chief, an
appeal to force was avoided by the voluntary surrender of four of the ringleaders,
who were marched to Edinburgh Castle as prisoners, under a strong
guard of their own regiment. General Leslie and Adjutant M'Lean of the
Fencibles, having accompanied the party a short way out of town, they were
assailed on their return by a number of riotous people, who accused them of
being active in sending away the prisoners. The mob rapidly increased, stones
and other missiles were thrown, by one of which General Leslie was knocked
down, and he and the Adjutant were compelled to take shelter in a house, from
which they were at last rescued by the Lord Provost, with a posse of peaceofficers
and a company of the Fencibles. On his way back to Edinburgh, the
General was seized with a dangerous illness, and died at Beechwood House,
about three miles west of the city, on the 27th December 1794.
General Leslie married in 1760 a daughter of Walter Tullidelph of Tullidelph,
in Forfarshire, who died the year following, leaving a daughter, Mary
Anne, who was married in 1787 to John Rutherford, Esq. of Edgerstown, in
Roxburghshire. The General resided in St. Andriw Square.
No, CXCVIII.
DR. JAMES HAMILTON, SENIOR.
DK HAMILTOwNa s for many years one of the ornaments of Edinburgh.
His grandfather, the Rev. William Hamilton, was a branch of the family of
Preston, and held the honourable station of Principal of the University in the
earlier part of last century j and his father, Dr. Robert Hamilton, afterwards
made a distinguished figure as Professor of Divinity.'
1 The mutiny, which occurred on the 1st December 1794, originated in the rescue of a soldier
who had been confined in the guard-house for some military offence. The party afterwarda would
neither give up the prisoner nor those who had been conspicuoas in effecting his release. The
prisoneis, seven in number, were tried by a court-martial, held in the Castle, at which Colonel
Moutgomerie presided. Sentence of death was recorded against all of them save two, but one only,
Alexander Sutherland, sutfered.
* It may be mentioned, to the honour of the last-named gentleman, and as indicative of that
uprightness and independence, which were afterwards conspicuous in his son, that he led the way to
the abolition of pluralities in the Church, by spontaneously relinquishing his parochial charge of
Lady Yeater's, on being appointed Professor of Divinity-a distinction which was conferred on him
without solicitation. The clergyman
of a neighbouring pariah had withheld the privilege of baptism from a child, the conduct of the
The others were ordered to the West Indies and to America.
Another instance of the same qualities of mind is thus related. ... SKETCHES. 79 In 1794, while second in command of the forces in Scotland, in consequence of a mutiny ...

Book 9  p. 106
(Score 0.6)

High Street.] SCOTTISH COINAGE. 269
~~ ~ ~ ~~~ ~ ~~~
crown for Mary of Guise, and inclosed with arches
the present crown of Scotland.
The early .gold coins of Mary?s reign were of
native ore, and, during the minority of James VI.,
Cornelius de Vos, a Dutchman, who had licence to
seek for gold and silver, obtained considerable
quantities, according to the records relating to
mines and mining in Scotland, published by Mr.
Cochran-Patrick.
The oldest gold coin found in Scotland bears
- ~~
under pain of death. The coins current in Scotland
in the reign of James 111. were named the
demi, the lion, the groat of the crown, the groat
of the fleur-de-lis, the penny, farthing, and plack.
English coins were also current, but their value
was regulated by the estates. From ?Miscelleanea
Scotica? we learn that in 1512 Sir Alexander
Napier of Merchiston found gold in the Pentland
Hills, and from the Balcarres MSS. (in the Advocates?
Library) he and his son figure conspicuously
3
2
RELICS OF THE OLD SCOTTISH MINT.
I, Delicate Set of Balances, 2, Dies ; 3, hnch : 4. Implements for Knarling the Coins : 5, Large Tiding-pin of the Great Door : 6, Roller for
Flattening the Silver; 7, Key of the Mint Door. (From Origiwlr am ia fhr ScottW Antiyuarzizn Musrum.)
the nameof Robert, but which of the three monarchs
so called is uncertain. Gold was not coined in
England till 1257. The first gold coins struck in
Scotland were of a broad surface and very thin.
There is some doubt about when copper coinage
was introduced, but in 1466, during the reign of
James III., an Act was passed to the effect that,
for the benefit 6f the poor, ?there be cuinyied
copper money, four to the (silver) penny, having on
the one part the cross of St. Andrew and the crown,
and on the other part the subscription of Edinburgh,?
together with JAMES R.
The same monarch issued a silver coin containing
an alloy of copper, which went under the name
of black money, and to ensure the circulation of
this depreciated coin the parliament ordained that
no counterfeits of it be taken in payment, or used,
in connection With the Mint, of which the latter was
general for some years after 1592.
In 1572 the Regent Morton coined base money
in his castle at Dalkeith, and by proclamation
made it pass current for thrice its real value ; and
having got rid of it all in 1575, by paying workmen
in the repair of Edinburgh Castle and other public
places, he issued a council order reducing it to its
intrinsic value, an act of oppression which won him
the hatred of the people. In the reign of James
VI., all the silver coin, extending to two hundred
and eleven stone ten pounds in weight, was called
in, and a coin was issued from the Mint in Gray?s
Close, ?in ten shilling pieces of eleven pennies
fine,? having on one side his effigywith the inscription,
JZZU~US YI., Da? Gratia Rex Scofomm,
on the other the royal arms, crowned. In hisreign ... Street.] SCOTTISH COINAGE. 269 ~~ ~ ~ ~~~ ~ ~~~ crown for Mary of Guise, and inclosed with arches the ...

Book 2  p. 269
(Score 0.6)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 239
“ Our fathers’ bluid the kettle bought,
And wha wad dare to spoil it 4
By heaven ! the sacrilegious dog
Shall fuel be to boil it.”
In consequence of the alliance of Spain with’ France, a meeting of the
Lieutenants of the city, and the officers of the Edinburgh Volunteers, was held
on the 14th September 1796, when they resolved,--“ that as this apparent
increase of strength on the part of our enemies must give them additional
confidence, it is highly necessary to show them that this country ‘is capable of
increasing its exertions in proportion to the force brought against it.” Accordingly,
an augmentation of their corps being deemed necessary, another battaliod
was speedily organised, called the Second Regiment of Edinburgh Volunteers.
In 1797, when the French were every day expected to attempt a landing in
Ireland, the First Regiment tendered their services to perform the duty of the
Castle, in order to allow the withdrawal of the regular troops ; and, in 1801,
when the danger seemed more immediately to menace our own shores, the former
offer of service was followed up with characteristic spirit.
The Lieutenant-Colonel commanding, the Right Honourable Charles Hope
(Lord President and Privy Councillor), in his letter to General Vyse, at
this alarming crisis, says-“ In the event of an enemy appearing on our coast,
we trust that you will be able to provide for the temporary security of Edinburgh
Castle by means of its own invalids, and the recruits and convalescents of the
numerous corps and detachments in and about Edinburgh ; and that, as we have
more to lose than the brave fellows of the other volunteer regiments who have
$xtended their services, we trust you will allow us to be the first to share
in the danger, as well as in the glory, which we are confident his Majesty’s troops
will acquire under your command, if opposed to an invading army.”
On the cessation of hostilities in 1802 the Volunteers were disbanded, after
eight years of military parade, during which period “they had many a time
and oft ” marched to and from the camp at Musselburgh, and, on the sands of
Leith, maintained the well-contested bloodless fight. They closed their first
period of service on the 6th of May 1802. Early in the forenoon of that day
they assembled in Heriot’s Green, where they first obtained their colours ; and,
having formed a hollow square, the Lieutenant-Colonel read Lord Hobart’s
circular letter, conveying his Majesty’s thanks, and also the thanks of the two
Houses of Parliament. He likewise read a resolution of the Town Council of
Edinburgh, conveying, in the strongest and most handsome terms, the thanks of
the Community to the whole Volunteers of the city ; and a very flattering letter
from his excellency Lieut.-General Vyse. The regiment was afterwards marched
to the Parliament Square, where, being formed, the colours were delivered to
the Magistrates, who lodged them in the Council Chamber, and the corps was
dismissed’
Not the least important practical ’benefit reaultiog from the patriotic feeling of the Volunteers,
consisted in the frequent collections made among them in aid of the poor of the city. “ On the 3d of
January 1797 they assembled in their uniforms at St. Andrew’a Church, where an excellent diecourse ... SKETCHES. 239 “ Our fathers’ bluid the kettle bought, And wha wad dare to spoil it 4 By heaven ...

Book 8  p. 336
(Score 0.6)

I18 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Corstorphine.
of the House of Orkney. He is represented in
armour of the fifteenth century (but the head has
been struck OK); she, in a dress of the same
period, with a breviary clasped in her hands. The
other monument is said to represent the son of
the founder and his wife, whose hands are represented
meekly crossed upon her bosom. Apart
lies the tomb of a supposed crusader, in the south
transept, with a dog at his feet. Traditionally this
is said to be the resting-place of Bernard Stuart,
Lord Aubigny, who came from France as Ambassador
to the Court of James IV., and died in the
adjacent Castle of Corstorphine in 1508. But the
altar tomb is of a much older date, and the shield
has the three heraldic horns of the Forresters duly
stringed. One shield impaled with Forrester, bears
the fesse cheque of Stuart, perhaps for Marian
Stewart, Lady Dalswinton.
It. has been said there are few things more
impressive than such prostrate effigies as these-so
few in Sdotland now-on the tombs of those who
were restless, warlike, and daring in their times;
and the piety of their attitudes contrasts sadly with
the mockery of the sculptured sword, shield, and
mail, and with the tenor of their characters in life.
The cutting of the figures is sharp, and the
draperies are well preserved and curious. There
are to be traced the remains of a piscina and of a
niche, canopied and divided into three compartments.
The temporalities of the church were dispersed
at the Reformation, a portion fell into the
hands. of lay impropriators, and other parts to
educational and other ecclesiastical institutions.
In 1644 the old parish church was demolished,
? and the collegiate establishment, in which the
, minister had for some time previously been accustomed
to officiate, became from thenceforward the
only church of the parish.
In ancient times the greater part of this now fertile
district was 8 Swamp, the road through which
was both difficult and dangerous; thus a lamp
was placed at the east end of the church, for the
double purpose of illuminating the shrine of the
Baptist, and guiding the belated traveller through
the perilous morass. The expenses of this lamp
were defrayed by the produce of an acre of land
situate near Coltbndge, called the Lamp Acre to
this day, though it became afterwards an endowment
of the schoolmaster, At what time the kindly
lamp of St. John ceased to guide the wayfarer
by its glimmer is unknown ; doubtless it would be
at the time of the Reformation; but a writer in
1795 relates ? that it is not long since the pulley
for supporting it was taken down.?
Of the Forrester family, Wilson says in his
? Reminiscences,? published in 1878, ? certainly
their earthly tenure, outside? of their old collegiate
foundation, has long been at an end. Of their
castle under Corstorphine Hill, and their town
mansion in the High Street of Edinburgh, not
one stone remains upon another. The very wynd
that so long preserved their name, where once
they flourished among the civic magnates, has
vanished.
?Of what remained of their castle we measured
the fragments of the foundations in 1848, and
found them to consist of a curtain wall, facing the
west, one hundred feet in length, flanked by two
round towers, each twentyone feet in diameter
externally. The ruins were then about seven feet
high, except a fragment on the south, about twelve
feet in height, with the remains of an arrow hole.?
Southward and eastward of this castle there lay
for ages a great sheet of water known as Corstorphine
Loch, and so deep was the Leith in those
days, that provisions, etc., for the household were
brought by boat from the neighbourhood of Coltbridge.
Lightfoot mentions that the Loch of Corstorphine
was celebrated for the production of the
water-hemlock, a plant much more deadly than the
common hemlock,
The earliest proprietors of. Corstorphine traceable
are Thomas de Marshal and William de la
Roche, whose names are in the Ragman Roll
under date 1296. In the Rolls of David 11.
there was a charter to Hew Danyelstoun, ? of the
forfaultrie of David Marshal, Knight, except
Danyelstoun, which Thomas Carno got by gift,
and Llit lands of Cortorphing whilk Malcolm Ramsay
got? (Robertson?s ? Index.?)
They were afterwards possessed by the Mores of
Abercurn, from whom, in the time of Sir William
More, under King Robert II., they were obtained
by charter by Sir Adam Forrester, whose name
was of great antiquity, being deduced from the
office of Keeper of the King?s Forests, his armorial
bearings being three hunting horns. In that charter
he is simply styled ?Adam Forrester, Burgess of
Edinburgh.? This was in 1377, and from thenceforward
Corstorphine became the chief title of
his family, though he was also Laird of Nether
Liberton.
Previous to this his name appears in the Burgh
Records as chief magistrate of Edinburgh, 24th
April, 1373 ; and in 1379 Robert 11. granted him
?twenty merks of sterlings from the custom of
the said burgh, granted to him in heritage by our
other letters . . . , until we, or our heirs,
infeft the said Adam, or his heirs, in twenty merks ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Corstorphine. of the House of Orkney. He is represented in armour of the fifteenth ...

Book 5  p. 118
(Score 0.6)

... Vlll OLD' AND NEW EDINBURGH.
CHAPTER XXXIX.
, T H E W E S T B 0 W (conclud-d.) PAGE
A Hand to Hand Combat in the Bow-Murder'in 1h5 in the Bow-The House of Lord Ruthven-The Hidden Sword-Processions in the
Bow-The Jacobite Prisoners-House of Provost Stewart-A Secret Entertainment to Prince Charles-Donaldson the Printer-State of
Printing and Publishing in his Day-The Edimburck Adwcrfiser-Splendid Fortunc of his Descendant-Town House ,of the
Napiers of Wrightshouse-Trial of Barbara Napier for Witchcdt-Clcckmaker's Land-Paul Romieu-The Mahogany Land-
Duncan Campbell, Chirurgeon-Templar Houses
.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 315
CHAPTER XL.
E D I N B U R G H I N 1745.
Pmvost Stewart-Advance of the Jacobite Clans-Preparations far DefenctCapturc of the City-Lachiel's Surp&-Entance of Prince
Charles-Arrival at Holyrood-JamesVIII. Proclaimed at the Cross-Conduct of the Highland Tmps in the City-Colquhoun Grant-
A Triumphal ProcessiOn--Guest's Council of War-Preston's Fidelity . . . . . . . . . . . . . jZZ
CHAPTER XLI.
EDINBURGH IN 1745 (concluded),
General Guest's "Brave~~"-Popularity of the Prince-Castle Blockaded-It Fires on the City-Leith Bombarded-End of the Blockade
-Departure of the Highland Army for ' England-Prisoners in the Castle-Macdonald of Teindreich-Duke of Cumberland in
Ediiburgh-Burning of the Standards . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 329
CHAPTER XLII.
T H E NORTH BRIDGE.
The New Town projected by Jams VIL-The North Bridge and other Structures by the Earl of Mar, 1728-Oppased in 175g-Foundation
Stone Laid-Erection Delayed till 1$5-Henderson's Plan-William Mylne appointed Architect-Terms of the Contract-Fall of the
Bridge-Repired and Completed--The Upper and Lower Flesh-Markets-Old Post OffictAdam Black-Ann Street-The Ettrick
Shepherd and the .. Nocks"-The Bridge Widened . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 334
CHAPTER XLIII.
EAST SIDE OF THE NORTH BRIDGE.
Dingwall's Castle-Whitefield's " Preachings "-History of the Old Theatre Royal-The Building-David Ross's Management-Leased to
Mr. Foote-Then to Mr. Digges-Mr. Moss-Mrs. Yates-Next Leased to Mr. Jackson-The Siddons Ram-Reception of the Great
Actress-Mrs. Baddeley-New Patent-the playhouse Riot--"The Scottish Roscius"-A Ghost-Expiry of the Patent . . . 340
CHAPTER XLIV..
EAST SIDE OF THE NORTH BRIDGE (continued).
Old Theatre Royal-Management of Mr. Henry Siddons-Mr. Mumy-Miss O'Neill-Production of Rd Roy-Visit of George IV. to the
Theatre- Eoinburgh Theatrical Fund-Scott and his Novels-Retirement of Mr. Mumy-The Management of Mr. and ME.
Wyndham-The Closing Night of the Theatre . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 348
CHAPTER XLV.
EAST SIDE OF THE NORTH BRIDGE (codinwed).
Memorabilia of the General Post Office-First Postal Svstem in Scotland-First Communication with Irdand-Sanctions given by the Scottish
Parliament-Expenses of the Establkhment at various Periods-The Horse Posts-Violation of Letter Bags-Casualties of the Period-
The First Stage Coach-Peter Willison-The Various Post Ofice Buildings--The Waterloo Place Office-Royal Arms Removed-
New 06ce Built-Staffand F d Details . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .353
CHAPTER XLVI.
EAST SIDE OF THE NORTH BRIDGE (concluded).
The Old Orphan Hospital-It5 Foundation, Object, and Removal-Lady Glenorchy's Chapel-Her Disputes with the Presbytery-Dr. Snell
JonesDemolition of the Chapel and School-Old PhysiC Gardens Formed-The Gardens-& Andrew Balfour-James Suthe.-land-
. Inundatedin ~~Sutherland5EffortstoImprovetheGardens-ProfessorHope . . . . . . . . . . . 359 ... Vlll OLD' AND NEW EDINBURGH. CHAPTER XXXIX. , T H E W E S T B 0 W (conclud-d.) PAGE A Hand to Hand ...

Book 2  p. 390
(Score 0.6)

46 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. IHolyrood
these ecclesiastical foundations :-The Priory of St.
Mary?s Isle, in Galloway, gifted by Fergus, Lord of
Galloway, who died a monk of Holyrood in 1161 ;
the Priory of Blantyre, secluded on a rock above
the Clyde ; Kowadill, in Hemes, gifted by Mac-
Leod of Herries ; Oransay and Colonsay-in the
former still stands their priory, built by a Lord of
the Isles, one of the finest relics of religious antiquity
in the Hebrides; the church of Melgynch,
granted to them by Matthew, Abbot of Dunkeld,
in 1289; the church of Dalgarnock, granted to
them by John, Bishop of Glasgow, in 1322 j and
the church and vicarage of Kirkcudbright, by
of Haddington, mm ferra de Clerkynton, per rectas
divisas. In 1177 the monastery was still in the
Castle of Edinburgh. In 1180 Alexius, a subdeacon,
held a council of the Holy Cross near
Edinburgh, with reference to the long-disputed
consecration of John Scott, Bishop of St. Andrews,
when a double election had taken place.
VI. WILLIAM II., abbot in 1206. During his
time, John Bishop of Candida Casa resigned his
mitre, became a canon .of Holyrood, and was
buried in the chapter-house, where a stone long
marked his grave.
VII. WALTER, Prior of Inchcolm, abbot in
111. WILLIAM I. succeeded in 1152. He witnessed
several charters of Malcolm IV. and
William the Lion; and when he became aged and
infirm, he vowed to God that he would say his
Psalter every day. He enclosed the abbey with a
strong wall.
IV. ROBERT is said to have been abbot about
the time of William the Lion. ? He granted to
the inhabitants of the newly-projected burgh of the
Canongate various privileges, which were confirmed,
with additional benefactions, by David II., Robert
III., and James 111. These kings granted to the
bailies and community the annuities payable by the
burgh, and also the common muir between the ?
lands of Broughton on the west and the lands of
Pilrig on the east, on the north side of the road
from Edinburgh to Leith.?
V. JOHN, abbot in 1173, witnessed a charter of
Richard Bishop of St. Andrews (chaplain to
Malcolm IV.), granting to his canons the church
the chapel of St Mary.
XI, HENRY, the next abbot, was named Bishop
of Galloway in 1253; consecrated in 1255 by the
Archbishop of York,
XII. RADULPH, abbot, is mentioned in a gift of
lands at Pittendreich to the monks of St. Marie de
Newbattle.
XIII. ADAM, a traitor, and adherent of England,
who did homage to Edward I. in 1292, and for
whom he examined the records in the Castle of
Edinburgh. He is called Alexander by Dempster.
XIV. ELIAS 11. is mentioned as abbot at the
time of the Scots Templar Trials in 1309, and in a
deed of William Lamberton, Bishop of St. Andrews,
in 1316. In his time, Holyrood, like Melrose and
Dryburgh, was ravaged by the baffled army of
Edward 11. in 1322.
XV. SYMON OF WEDALE, abbot at the vigil of
St. Barnabas, 1326, when Robert I. held a Parliament
in Holyrood, at which was ratified a concord ... OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. IHolyrood these ecclesiastical foundations :-The Priory of St. Mary?s Isle, in ...

Book 3  p. 46
(Score 0.6)

The Mound.] A PROPOSED HARBOUR. no
?And such a lot, my Skene, was thine,
When thou of late wert doomed to twine- - Just when thy bridal hour was by-
The cypress with the myrtle tie.
Just on thy bride her sire had smiled,
And blessed the union of his child,
When love must change its joyous cheer,
And wipe affection?s filial tear.?
In the subsequent March Scott had left his
beloved house in Castle Street for ever.
Among the memorials of the Pictish race, illustrated
so ably in Dr. Stuarfs ? Sculptured Stones
of Scotland,? is one with the peculiar emblems of
the crescent and sceptre, which was found under
the Castle rock and near the west churchyard.
The line of railway which intersects the garden,
and passes by a tunnel under the new portion of
St. Cuthbert?s churchyard, fails to mar its beauty,
as it is almost entirely hidden by trees and
shrubbery, especially about the base of the rock,
from which the castle ?looks down upon the
city as if out of another world: stem with all its
peacefulness, its garniture of trees, its slopes of
grass. The rock is dingy enough in colour,
but after a shower its lichens laugh our greenly
in the returning sun, while the rainbow is brightening
on the lowering sky beyond. How deep
the shadow which the castle throws at noon
on the gardens at its feet, where the children
play! How grand when giant bulk and towery
crown blacken against the sunset !
In the extreme western portion of the gardens
lie some great fragments of masonry, which have
fallen down in past sieges from some of the older
walls in the vicinity of the sallyport, while thefoundations
of these are to be traced from point to point,
some feet on the outside of the present fortifications,
and lower down the rock.
In the western hollow is an ornamental fountain
of considerable beauty, and formed of iron, named
after its donor, Mr. Ross, who spent A3;ooo on
its erection. In 1876 the gardens were acquired
by the citizens, and were thea much improved
They are used in summer for musicaI promenades,
and in contour and embellishment, though
much more extensive, have a certain resemblance
to the gardens on the east side of the Earthen
Mound.
For long years after the loch had passed away
the latter was but a reedy, marshy hollow, intersected
by what was called the Little Mound, that
led from near South St. Andrew Street to the foot
of Mary King?s Close. The ground was partially
drained when the North Bridge was built, but
more effectually about 1821, when it was let as a
nursery.
.When the Union canal was projected, towards
the close of the last century, the plans for it, not
unlike those of the Earl of Mar in 1728, included
the continuation of it through the bed of the North
Loch, past where a street was built, and actually
called Canal Street. ?From thence it was proposed
to conduct it to Greenside, in the area of
which was an immense harbour ; and this, again,.
being connected by a broad canal with the sea, it
was expected that by such means the New Town
would be converted into a seaport, and the
unhappy traders of Leith compelled either to
abandon their traffic or remove within the precincts
of their jealous rivals. Chimerical as this project
may now appear, designs were furnished by experienced
engineers, a map of the whole plan was
engraved on a large scale, and no doubt our civic
reformers rejoiced in the anticipation of surmounting
the disadvantages of an inland position, and
seeing the shipping of the chief ports of Europe
crowding into the heart of their new capital ! ?
The operations for forming the canal were
delayed in 1776 by a dispute between the magistrates
and the feuars of the extended royalty
relative to Canal Street, that ended in the Court
of Session, which sustained ? the defences pled by
the magistrates of Edinburgh, and assoilie from the
conclusion of the declarator j but with respect to
the challenge brought with regard to particular
houses being built contrary to the Act of Parliament,
1698, remit to the Lord Ordinary to hear
parties to do as he shall see cause.? The Lord
President, the Lord Justice Clerk, and Lord
Covington, were of a different opinion from the
rest of the court, and condemned the conduct of
the magistrates in very severe terms.
The Act of 1698, referred to, was one restricting
the height of houses within the city, and to
the effect that none should be above five storeys,
with a front wall of three feet in thickness at the
base. In March, 1776, the dispute was adjusted,
and a print of the time tells us that the public
?? will now be gratified with a pleasure-ground upon
the south side of Princes Street, to a considerable
extent ; and the loch will in time be formed into a
canal, which will not only be ornamental, but of
great benefit to the citizens?
This Utopian affair was actually commenced, for
in the Edinburgh We&y Magazine of the 28th
March, 1776, we are told that on the 25th instant
twenty labourers ? began to work at the banks of
the intended canal between the old and new town
but how far the work proceeded we hake no means
of knowing.
The site of the projected canal is now occupied ... Mound.] A PROPOSED HARBOUR. no ?And such a lot, my Skene, was thine, When thou of late wert doomed to twine- ...

Book 3  p. 99
(Score 0.59)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 27
from which they had been absent for many years. On this auspicious occasion
considerable interest was excited in the neighbourhood ; and a party-of the Ayrshire
Cavalry, with the Kilmarnock Volunteers, marched out in military array
to pay their respects to the Earl on his arrival, The following extract from a
letter to the Editor of the Free Press upon occasion of his lordship’s visit, is too
interesting to be omitted :-
“ Never having seen that renowned warrior and statesman, the Marquis of Hastings, and being
in the neighbourhood of Loudon Castle, we were exceedingly auxious to behold with our own eyes
the man who has done so much for his country and his friends, and so little for himself. Being
provided at Kilmamock with a ‘guid-gaun’ vehicle, we set out ; and it was not very long untii the
turreta of the Castle were, with delight, beheld by us, towering above the mighty oak and elm of
many hundred years’ standing, and the ‘bonnie woods and braes,’ so justly celebrated by Tamhii.
We were at the village of Galston by nine o’clock, and learned, with much pleasure, that the
Marquis and family were going to Newmilns to hear a sermon in the parish church. From Galston
to Newmilns it ia two miles ; a road level and enchanting, overshadowed by lofty trees ; on the left,
the Castle, with its beautiful avenues and pleasure-grounds ; on the right, the water of Irvine. On
the same side, at the end of this road, and before entering Newmilns, is the Mill, rendered clasaic
from having given birth to Ranisay’s celebrated song of ‘The Lass of Patie’s Mill, so bode, blyth,
and gay.’ Newmilns in a small, neat, clean town ; the new part of it divided from the old by the
water of Irvine, communicating by two bridges. It lies in a beautiful vale, surmunded by braes
covered with rich planting. At the extremity of the vale, four miles east, is Loudon Hill, ‘round
as my shield’ We drove to the residence of Mr. Loudon, the chief magistrate, at the east end of
the town, where we had an Ayrshire breakfast in all its glory, and a hearty welcoma At eleven
the bell summoned us to church. When we arrived at the church door, the Marquis’s family and
suit were just at hand, in two carriages and a gig. In the h t were the Marquis, Marchioness, and
four daughters. The other contained my young Lord Rawdon ; and the factor, Yr. Hamilton, was
in the gig. Every eye was eager to see them alight ; and it was done with that ease and becoming
dignity inherent in true nobdity. In passing the plate of collection, the poor were not neglected.
It is said that the Castle is beset ezrery day with poor persons from thirty miles round, none of
whom are allowed to depart without a good awmw. Before we entered the church, the noble family
were all seated in the gallery in front of the pulpit, being the family seat, which is formed of a
large enclosed compartment. We were in the gallery right of the pulpit, and had a good view.
His lordship is seventy-one years of age ; and, although he has been in camp and field in all sorts
of climate, is stout and healthy. His bold, dwk countenance, with frame erect, gives a most complete
idea of the warrior ; and he possesses all that suavity and dignity of manner, with a countenance
beaming with intelligence, which are ao characteristic of the statesman, wamior, and
philanthropist. He was very plainly dressed-dark-green coat, coloured vest, and dark wsimere
trowsen. The Marchioness is aged
forty-six, and seems to have suffered little from the scorching climat+looks well, and in excellent
health. The
young ladies may be characterised in the same way. Lady Flora is a young lady of mod amiable
dispositions, mild and attractive manners. They have more the cast of the Marqnk’s countenance,
particularly in the upper part of the face. The young lord, aged twenty, is a most promising
young man-no fudge nor frippery about him, aping outlandish airs with an ostentatious consciousness
of his high station in life. His person is tall, handsome, good-looking ; and his manners most
amiable, with every appearance to possess the virtues of his father, During the sermon, they all
,paid the most profound attention, and seemed deeply impressed with the force of the truths propounded
by the Rev. Dr. Laurie, who discharged his duty much to our satisfaction. He has a
good delivery and address, joined with sound sense, and is a sincere lover of the truths of the gospel,
which he delivers in a plain, neat, and impressive manner. We remarked that the Marchionesa
was. most attentive to the Doctor’s discourse, examining every text which was alluded to in the
course of the lecture. During the prayer she and the Marquia seemed much affected when the
Doctor very delicately alluded to the noble family then present. We were much pleased with the
appearance of all the hearers in the church-a healthy, sober, and good-looking people ; all well
dressed, with a deportment suitable to the house of God.”
On his breast hung a gold insignia of one of his many Orders.
She has all the lady in her appearance-modest, dignified, kind, and affectionate. ... SKETCHES. 27 from which they had been absent for many years. On this auspicious ...

Book 9  p. 36
(Score 0.59)

- -_
AND THE VALE OF THE ESK. 131
his chaplain, re-comforted his ladies, and went on building his Ch2peL
He increased his charity to the poor by way of thanksgiving, ‘applying the
safety of his charters and writs to God’s particular providence.’ ’
A century
after, when Henry VIII. was demanding the infant Queen of Scots for his
son Edward, Roslin, With several other castles in the south, was partially
destroyed by the English army. Again, a century later, Monk battered at its
doors; and in 1688 it was plundered by a mob from the city of Edinburgh.
This was not the only misfortune which befell the Castle.
ROSLfN CHAPEL.
The Chapel of Roslin was founded in 1446. As it stands, it is only a
small portion of what was to have been a cruciform chapel with a high centre
tower. For the sake of a name,
it is caIled ‘florid Gothic j’ but it is really unlike any other piece of architecture
on the face of the earth. It was the pet and plaything of its founder, who
employed upon it all the skilful European masons whom he could attract to
Scotland by his munificent prices. They indulged their art freely, omamenting
and super-omamenting, till the Chapel is a medley of decoration and design,
It is quite a unique piece of workmanship.
Manuscript Account by Father Hay in Advocates’ Library, Edinburgh : vide Statistical
Axount of Scotland-Roslin. ... -_ AND THE VALE OF THE ESK. 131 his chaplain, re-comforted his ladies, and went on building his Ch2peL He ...

Book 11  p. 188
(Score 0.58)

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 35 3
expected that the city, together with the Castle, would fall into the hands of the
“Friends of the People.” The design was as follows:--“A fire was to be
raised near the Excise Office, which would require the attendance of the soldiers,
who were to be met on their way by a body of the ‘Friends of the
People ;’ another party of whom were to issue from the West Bow, to confine
the soldiers between two fires, and cut off their retreat. The Castle was next
to be attempted ; the Judges and Magistrates were to be seized ; and all the
public banks were to be secured. A proclamation was then to be issued, ordering
all the farmers to bring in their grain to market as usual ; and enjoining all
country gentlemen unfriendly to the cause to keep within their houses, or three
miles of them, under penalty of death. Then an address was to be sent to his
Majesty, conimanding him to put an end to the war-td change his ministersor
take the consequences.”
Before this extraordinary project could be carried into effect, it was necessary
that arms of some description or other should be procured. Another committee
was consequently formed, called the collectors of “ Sense and Money,” whose
business it was to “ raise the wind,” in order to procure arms. Two smiths
(Robert Orrock and William Brown), who had enrolled their names among the
( ( Friends of the People,” were employed to make four thousand pikes ; some
of which were actually completed, and had been delivered to Watt, and paid
for by Downie, in his capacity of treasurer.
Meanwhile the trials of William Skirving, Maurice Margarot, and Joseph
Gerrald had taken place ; but it was not until May that Watt and Downie were
apprehended. On the 15th of that month, two sheriff-officers, while searching the
house of Watt for some goods which had been secreted, belonging to a bankrupt,
discovered some pikes, which they immediately carried to the Sheriff’s
Chambers. A warrant was then given to search the whole premises, and also
to apprehend the parties. In the cellar, a form of types, from which the address
to the ‘military had been printed, as also an additional quantity of pikes, were
discovered ; and in the house of Orrock, the smith, thirty-three pikes, finished
and unfinished, were likewise found.
True bills of indictment having been found against Watt and Downie, the
trial of the former took place before the Court of Oyer and Terminer, on the 14th
of August 1794; and of the latter, on the 7th of Septeniber. The facts set
forth in the indictments were fully proven against the prisoners. A letter from
Downie-as treasurer to the Committee of Ways and Means, to “Walter
Millar, Perth ”-acknowledging the receipt of S15, in which he gave an account
of the riots in the Theatre,’ was produced and identified ; and Robert Orrock
These riots commenced on Monday night, the 8th of April 1794, when the tragedy of Charles
I. waa performed. At the end of the second act several gentlemen called to the band in the orchestra
to play “God save the King,” during the performance of which a few individuals did not uncover.
Sone of the more loyal portion of the audience insisted that they should ; and from words the
matter came to blows. On the next night of performance (the 10th) some attempts were made to
create a disturbance, which was speedily got under ; but on Saturday, the 12th, the democratic
party mustered in greater numbers j and preparations had been made on both sides for a trial of
2 2 ... SKETCHES. 35 3 expected that the city, together with the Castle, would fall into the hands of ...

Book 8  p. 493
(Score 0.58)

Merchiston.] THE NAPIERS OF MERCHISTON. 35
likeness of the founder, painted by Sir James
Foulis of Woodhall, Bart.
In 1870 the original use to which the foundation
was put underwent a change, and the hospital
became a great public school for boys and girls.
At the western extremity of what was the Burghmuir,
near where lately was an old village of that
name (at the point where the Colinton road diverges
from that which leads to Biggar), there stands, yet
unchanged amid all its new surroundings, the
ancient castle of Merchiston, the whilom seat of a
race second to none in Scotland for rank and talent
-the Napiers, now Lords Napier and Ettrick. It
is a lofty square tower, surmounted by corbelled
battlements, a ape-house, and tall chimneys. It
was once surrounded by a moat, and had a secret
avenue or means of escape into the fields to the
north. As to when it was built, or by whom, no
record now remains.
In the missing rolls of Robert I., the lands of
Merchiston and Dalry, in the county of Edinburgh,
belonged in his reign to William Bisset, and under
David II., the former belonged to William de
Sancto Claro, on the resignation of Williani Bisset,
according to Robertson?s ?Index,? in which we find
a royal charter, ?datum est apud Dundee,? 14th
August, 1367, to John of Cragyof the lands of
Merchiston, which John of Creigchton had resigned.
So the estate would seem to have had several
proprietors before it came into the hands of
Alexander Napier, who was Provost of Edinburgh
in 1438, and by this acquisition Merchiston became
the chief title of his family.
His son, Sir Alexander, who was Comptroller of
Scotland under James 11. in 1450, and went on a
pilgrimage to St. Thomas of Canterbury in the
following year-for which he had safe-conduct from
the King of England-was Provost of Edinburgh
between 1469 and 1471- He was ambassador to
the Court of the Golden Fleece in 1473, and was
no stranger to Charles the Bold ; the tenor of his
instructions to whom from James II., shows that he
visited Bruges a d the court of Burgundy before
that year, in 1468, when he was present at the
Tournament of the Golden Fleece, and selected a
suit of brilliant armour for his sovereign.
Sir Alexander, fifth of Merchiston, fell at Flodden
with James IV.
John Napier of Merchiston was Provost 17th
of May, 1484, and his son and successor, Sir Archibald,
founded a chaplaincy and altar in honour of St.
Salvator in St. Giles?s Church in November, 1493.
His grandson, Sir Archibald Napier, who married
a daughter of Duncan Campbell of Glenorchy, was
slain at the battle of Pinkie, in 1547.
Sir Alexander Napier of Merchiston and Edinbellie,
who was latterly Master of the Mint to
James VI., was father of John Napier the
celebrated inventor of the Logarithms, who was
born in Merchiston Castle in 1550, fgur years after
the birth of Tycho Brahe, and fourteen before that
of Galileo, at a time when the Reformation in
Scotland was just commencing, as in the preceding?
year John Knox had been released from the
French galleys, and was then enjoying royal
patronage in England. His mother was Janet,
only daughter of Sir Francis Bothwell, and sister
of Adam, Bishop of Orkney. At the time of his
birth his father was only sixteen years of age. He
was educated at St. Salvator?s College, St. Andrews,
where he matriculated 1562-3, and afterwards spent
several years in France, the Low Countries, and
Italy; he applied himself closely to the study of
mathematics, and it is conjectured that he gained
a taste for that branch of learning during his residence
abroad, especially in Itily, where at that
time were many mathematicians of high repute.
While abroad young Napier escaped some perils
that existed at home. In 150s a dreadful pest
broke out in Edinburgh, and his father and family
were exposed to the contagion, ? by the vicinity,?
says Mark Napier, ?? of his mansion to the Burghmuir,
upon which waste the infected were driven
out to grovel and die, under the very walls of
Merchiston.?
In his earlier years his studies took a deep theological
turn, the fruits of which appeared in his
? Plain Discovery of the Revelation of St John,?
which he published at Edinburgh in 1593, and
dedicated to James VI. But some twenty years
before that time his studies must have been sorely
interrupted, as his old ancestral fortalice lay in the
very centre of the field of strife, when Kirkaldy
held out the castle for Queen Mary, and the savage
Douglas wars surged wildly round its walls.
On the 2nd April, 1572, John Napier, then in his
twenty-second year, was betrothed to Elizabeth,
daughter of Sir James Stirling of Keir ; but as he
had incurred the displeasure of the queen?s party
by taking no active share in her interests, on the
18th of July he was arrested by the Laid of Minto,
and sent a prisoner to the Castle of Edinburgh,
then governed by Sir TVilliam Kirkaldy, who in the
preceding year had bombarded Merchiston with
his iron guns because certain soldiers of the king?s
party occupied it, and cut off provisions coming
north for the use of his garrison. The solitary
tower formed the key of the southern approach
to the city ; thus, whoever triumphed, it became the
object of the opponent?s enmity. ... THE NAPIERS OF MERCHISTON. 35 likeness of the founder, painted by Sir James Foulis of Woodhall, ...

Book 5  p. 35
(Score 0.58)

I8 EDINBURGH PAST AND PRESENT.
~
building, strange projectings, receding, and windings, roofs, stairs, and
windows all luxuriating in the endless variety of carved work, kding and
mouldering coats of arms, helmets, crests, coronets, supporters, mantles, and
pavilions, all these testimonials of forgotten pride, mingled so profuseIy with
the placards of old-clothesmen and every ensign of plebeian wretchedness,-
most striking emblems of the decay of a once royal city and appropriate
avenue to a deserted palace.' Passing Queen Mary's Bath-house, and in
fine emerging on Holyrood Palace, which, sunk in a hollow overhung by
mountains, seems an apt emblem of Scotland and the Scottish kingdom, in its
combination of that outward meanness and aspiring majesty, humble position
and hot pride, courage and self-assertion, which mingled in the blaze of
' The add Scottish glory.'
STAIRCASH. HOLYROOD.
One of the engravings shows the narrowdark stair bywhich the assassins
reached Rizziot and the other shows the doorway at which the murder was
committed. If Holyrood in comparison with the Castle may seem something
of an inverted climax,-we question if, to a led and soothfast Caledonian,
it be not every whit as inspiring,--if the one be the apex, the other is the
foundation of the stately and structum1 whole. ... EDINBURGH PAST AND PRESENT. ~ building, strange projectings, receding, and windings, roofs, stairs, ...

Book 11  p. 28
(Score 0.58)

THE LA WNMARKET. I79
to the torture, by special authority of the Estates, to discover if he had any accomplices.’
The very next day he was dragged on a hurdle to the Cross, his right hand struck off
while dive, and then hanged, with the pistol about his neck, after which his body was
hung in chains on the Gallow-lee, between Leith and Edinburgh, and his hand affixed to
the West Port.’ The Castle being then under siege, and held out by the Duke of
Gordon on behalf of King James, a parley was beat by the besiegers, for a cessation of
hostilities during the interment of the President in the Greyfriars’ Churchyard, which
was readily granted.’
The house of Dalry belonged
latterly to William Kirkpatrick,
Esq., of Allisland, whose grandson
related to us that the servants were
afraid to venture alone. into the
back kitchen, and would not, on
any consideration, approach it after
dark, uuder the belief that Chiesly’s
bones had been carried off by his
relatives and buried there, and that the ghost of the murderer haunted the spot. On
his grandfather repairing the garden wall at a later period, an old stone seat, which stood
in a recess in the wall, had to be removed, and underneath was found a skeleton, entire,
except the bones of the right hand ;-without doubt the remains of the assassin, that had
been secretly brought thither from the Callow-lee.
Great exertions were used with the Improvements’ Commissioners to induce them to
preserve the interesting fabric associated with such various characters and national events,
but in vain ;-civic rulers are ever the slowest to appreciate such motives. The demolition
of this, as well as of several surrounding buildings, brought to light numerous fragments
of an earlier erection, evidently of an ecclesiastical character, several of which we have had
engraved. These were used simply as building materials, the carved work being built into
the wall, and the stones squared on the side exposed. Numerous fragments of shafts,
mullions, and the like, also occurred among the ruins ; and an inspection of the earliest
writs and evidents of the property, serve to show that a building of considerable extent
had existed here prior to the Reformation, in connection with Cambuskenneth Abbey.
It is styled, in the earliest of these, “ all and hail1 these lands, houses, and stables, biggit
and waste, lying within ye tenement sometime pertaining to the Comendator and Convent
of Cambuskenneth,” and included both William Little’s mansion to the west, and a portion,
at least,of the buildings in Gosford’s Close, to the east. But the most interesting
and conclusive evidence on this subject is derived from these sculptured fragments rescued
from the ruins of the more recent building ; and judging from them, and from the plainer
1 It is a curious fact connected with the trial, that the Estatea of Parliament paged a special act empowering his
judges to examine him by the torture, although, only ten days after this trial, they declared King James to have
forfaulted the Crown, by illegal assumption and exercise of power, and “that the use of torture, without evidence, is
contrary to law.” ’ Crim. Registers of Edinburgh. h o t ’ s Crim. Trials, pp. 168-173.
Siege of the Castle of Edinburgh, 1689, Bann. Club, p. 47.
YIGmmE.-Carved stone from Old Bank Close, in the collection of A. G. Ellia, Esq. ... LA WNMARKET. I79 to the torture, by special authority of the Estates, to discover if he had any ...

Book 10  p. 195
(Score 0.58)

woman's cap, it was perhaps the most lawless land
in Europe.
All save those who possessed. zoo merks of
yearly rent were forbidden to wear silk or furs, or
borderings of pearl or bullion; and the feminine
rove of display attracted the attention of Parliarnent
at Edinburgh in 1457. It was ordained that
citizens should make their wives and daughters
appear in costumes suitable to their estate and
position ; on their heads short curches with little
and their wives the same ; the curches of the latter
to be of their own making, and not to exceed the
price " of XI pennyes the elne."
By the same laws, advocates who spoke for money
in Parliament were ordained " to have habits of
grene, of the fassoun of a tuneike, and the sleeves
to be oppin as a tabert."
From the date of the cruel assassination of
James I.-the poet, soldier, and lawgiver-may be
considered the time when Edinburgh became really
[The Castle.
resort to " hostillaries," for the encouragement of
the latter.
During the reign of James I. and his successor
laws were passed against excess in dress j and it
has been said that, though edicts were passed for
everything in Scotland, even to the shape of a
hoods ; (' and as to their gownes, that na woman
weare mertrickes nor letteis, nor tailes unfit in
length, nor furred under, but on the Halie-daie f
and that no labourers nor husbandmen were to
wear anything on work-days but grey and white ;
and even on holidays but light blue, green, red, ... cap, it was perhaps the most lawless land in Europe. All save those who possessed. zoo merks ...

Book 1  p. 28
(Score 0.58)

People don't play riddle games with Giants, or get tricked by Faerie Queens. They don't follow Blind Maniacs into Futures, or have their Lives saved by Death.

Timothy Hunter in The Books of Faerie

54 OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH. [Holymd
under his great seal, granted to David, Abbot of
Holyrood, a piece of land within the Castle of
Edinburgh whereon to erect a house, to which the
monks, their servants and families, might repair in
time of peace and war. This piece of ground
was eighty feet in length and eighty in breadth,
wherever the abbot might choose, ?beyond the
site of our manor? (the royal lodging?); ?the
said abbot and his successors paying therefor to
us and to our heirs a silver penny at the said
castle on Whitsunday yearly, if asked only, so
that the foresaid abbot and his successors and
their servants shall be bound to take the oath
of fidelity for the due security of the said castle
to the keeper thereof, who may be for the time,
have free ish and entry to the said castle at accustomed
and proper hours.?
On the 5th April, 1391, King Robert III., undei
his great seal, granted a charter to the Abbey of
Holyrood, confirming the charter of David 11. to
the abbey, dated 30th December, 1343. It is dated
at Edinburgh. When the abbey became a species
of palace has never been distinctly ascertained,
but Robert 111. appears sometimes to have made
Holyrood his residence. James I. occasionally
kept his court there; and in the abbey his queen
was delivered of twin princes, on the 16th October,
14 I 6-Alexandeq who died, and James, afterwards
second of that name.
In 1428 a remarkable episode occurred in the
abbey church. Alexander, Lord of the Isles, who
had been in rebellion against James I., but had
been utterly defeated by the royal troops in
Lochaber, sent messengers to the king to sue for
mercy. But the latter, justly incensed, refused to
enter into .my negotiations with an outlawed
fugitive. Alexander, driven to despair, and compelled
to fly from place to place, was compelled at
last to trust to the royal clemency. Travelling
secretly to Edinburgh, he suddenly presented himself,
upon a solemn festival, before the high altar 01
Holyrood, and holding his?drawn sword by the
point, he presented the hilt to the astonished king,
in token of his unconditional submission, and
falling on his knees, in presence of Queen Jane
and the whole court, implored the royal mercy.
The ill-fated James granted him his life, at the
tender intercession of his royal consort, but sent
him a prisoner to the sequestered castle of
Tantallon, on its sea-beat Tock, under the charge
of his nephew, the Earl of Angus. The island
chief eventually received a free pardon, was restored
to all his honours, castles, and estates, and stood
as sponsor for the twin princes, Alexander and
James, at the font
.
In 1437 the Parliament met at Edinburgh, on
the 25th March, after the murder of James I., and
adopted immediate measures for the government of
the country. Their first act was the coronation of
the young prince, in his sixth year, on whose head
at Holyrood, as James II., the crown was solemnly
placed by James Kennedy, Bishop of St. Andrews,
in presence of a great concourse of the nobles,
clergy, and representatives of towns, amid the usual
testimonies of devotion and loyalty.
On March 27th, 1439, Patrick Abbot of Holyrood
and his convent granted a charter to Sir Robert
Logan of Restalrig, and his heirs, of the ofice of
bailie over their lands of St. Leonard?s, in the town
of Leith, ?from the end of the great volut of
William Logane, on the east part of the common
gate that passes to the ford over the water of Leith,
beside the waste land near the house of John of
Turyng on the west part, and common Venale
called St. Leonard?s Wynd, as it extended of old
on the south part, and the water of the port OF
Leith on the north, and . . . . in the ninth year of
the pontificate of our most holy father and lord,
Eugenius IV., by Divine Providence Pope.?
Chronologically, the next event connected with
the abbey was the arrival of Mary of Gueldres in
1449. In company with John Railston, Bishop
of Dunkeld, and Nicholas Otterburn, official of
Lothian, the Lord Chancellor Crichton went to
France to seek among the princesses of that
friendly court a suitable bride for young James
11.; but no match being suitable, by the advice
of Charles VII. these ambassadors proceeded to
Burgundy, and, with the cordial concurrence of
Duke Philip the Good, made proposals to his
kinswoman, hlary, the only daughter and heiress
of Arnold, Duke of Gueldres, and in 1449 the
engagement was formally concluded. Philip promised
to pay _f60,boo in gold as a dowry, while
James, on the other hand, settled IO,OOO crowns
upon her, secured on land in Strathearn, Athole,
Methven, and East Lothian, while relinquishing all;
claim to the Duchy of Gueldres, in the event of
an heir male being born to Duke Arnold ; and the
Parliament met at Stirling, resolved that the royal
nuptials should be conducted on a scale of splendour
suited to the occasion.
The fleet containing the bride anchored in June
in the Forth. She was ?young, beautiful, and of a
masculine constitution,? says Hawthornden, and
came attended by a splendid train of knights and
nobles from France and Burgundy, including tlie
Archduke Sigisniund of Austria, the Duke of
Brittany, and the Lord of Campvere (the three
brothers-in-law of the King of Scotland), togetho ... don't play riddle games with Giants, or get tricked by Faerie Queens. They don't follow Blind ...

Book 3  p. 54
(Score 0.58)

470
seton, Beorge, 3d Lord, 416, 417
Qeorge, 6th Lord, 48
Shakespeare, 286
Sharpe, Archbishop, 101,192, 275
Charles K., 147, 150, 161, 164, 157, 169,365,
441
Shaw, Richard, encounters a Lady in disguise, 7
SheepHead Wynd, Leith, 359
Sheriff Brae, Leith, 362
Shields, Mm, the Midwife, 193
Shoemakers’ Land, 291
Close, 291
Shot Windows, 175,330
Shutters, Antique, 169
silvermills, Village of,’ 371
Sim, Alexander, 170
Sime, Rev. John, 186, 450, 451
Simson, h n a , a famous Witch, 283
Sinclair, John, Bishop of Brecbin, 181
Smellie, William, the Printer, 239
Smith, Dr Adam, 167, 301
Smith’s Chapel, Baron, 266
smollet, 199, 289
Residence of, 289
Society, The, 327,331, 348
Port, 331
Close, Netherbow, 258
Somerset, Duke of, 61, 52
Somerville, Lord, 115, 235
Bartholomew, 160, 339
Peter, 160, 339
West Port, 291
Alexander, 140
Sir John, Provost, 164, 168, 281
South Foulis Close, 269
Speir, Thomas, 171
Spence, Thomas, Bishop of Aberdeen, 352
Lucky, 307
Spottiswood, Archbishop, Mansion of, 253
Spynie, Lord, 315
Stair, Earl of, 141, 346
John, Superintendent of Lothian,‘253
Viscount, 153, 345
Countess of, 163, 316
Stair’s Close, Lady. See Lady Stair
StanBeld, Sir James, 275
Stevenlaw’s Close, 246
Stevenson, John, Advocate, 210
Stewart, Lord James, 53, 60, 64, 65, 67, 70, 72
Robert, Abbot of Holyrood, 354
Sir John, 163
Sir James, Brother of Earl of Arran, 176
Sir William, slain in Blackfriara’ Wynd, 176
Sir James, Lord Advocate, 178, 229
Professor, Sir Robert, 143
Alexander, younger of Garlieg 136
Lady Bwbara, 285
Lady Margaret, 285
Stinking Style, 29, 198, 451
Close, Weet Bow, 337, 340, 341
Stirling, 61, 57
Castle, 17
Field of, 21, 23
Stirling, Earl of, 133, 286
Stockbridge, Village of, 313
Stonefield, Lord, 269
Stoney Sunday, 91
Stowell, Lord, 162
Straton, David, burnt at Greenside, 411
Strichen, Lord, 262
Strichen’s Close, 261
Stuart, Lord Robert, 75
Baron, 325
St Andrew’s, City of, 61
Church, Castlehill, 143
Chapel, Carrubber’s Cloae, 252
Square, 229, 329,376
Archbishop of, 27
Port, Leith Wynd, 854
St Anne’s Park, 309
St Anthoqy, Preceptory of, Leith, 64,66,412
St Anthony’s Port, Leith, 64, 368
Hospital of, 358
Aisle, St Qilea’s Church, 889
Chapel, 412
St Bernard’s Well, 98
St Cuthbert’s Church, 4, 111, 310, 374,393, 414
St David Street, 162, 376
St Eloi’s Chapel, St Giles’s Church, 387
St Glee, 73,377
St Giles’s Church, 10, 12, 16, 27, 28, 40, 69, 60, 63,
64, 72, 78, 82, 87, 89, Q7, 100, 203,
Yard, 169
Statue of, 59, 60, 61, 3S2
409, 377-394
Ground Plan of, 450
Yard, 96, 204, 330, 451
Day, 60, 163
St James’s Chapel, Newhaven, 368
St John, Knights of, 167, 289
St John’s Cross, 82, 222, 276, 288
Church, on the Borough Moor, 416, 417
Hill, 313
Close, Canongate, 288
Street, 288
St Katherine of Sienna, Convent of, 331, 417
St Katherine’s Balm Well, 418, 445
Gate, Castle, 132
Chapel, St Giles5 Church, 378,884
St Leonard‘s, 94, 313, 442
St Magdalene’s Chapel and Hospital, 400
St Wargaret, 3, 5, 123,129, 377, 418
St Margaret’s W-ell, 399
Well, Castle, 3, 85, 132
Chapel, in the Castle, 127
Convent, 298
Day, 44
St Mary’s Church, Leith, 52, 66, 128, 354, 413
Chapel, West Port, 136, 115
Abbey, York, Ancient Fireplace, 146
Chapel, Niddry’s Wynd, 278, 311
Bell, St Gilea’s Church, 394
Port, 312
Wynd, 7, 73, 83, 278, 311
St Mary, Churches and Chapels dedicated to, 311
St Nicolas, Hospital and Chapel of, Leith, 97, 366 ... Beorge, 3d Lord, 416, 417 Qeorge, 6th Lord, 48 Shakespeare, 286 Sharpe, Archbishop, 101,192, ...

Book 10  p. 509
(Score 0.58)

Cmigmillar.] CRAIGMILLAR CASTLE. Si
Robert XI., ?of the lands of Craigmillar, in Vic
du Edinburgh, whilk William de Capella resigned,
sustennand an archer in the king?s army.? (Robertson?s
? Index?)
Under the same monarch, some time after,
another charter was granted, confirming ?John de
Capella, keeper of the king?s chapel, in the lands of
Erolly (sic), whilk Simon de Prestoun resigned ; he,
John, performing the same service in the king?s
chapel that his predecessors used to perform for
the third part of Craigmillar.?
The date 1474 above the principal gate probably
refers to some repairs. Four years afterwards,
William, a successor of Sir Simon Preston,
was a member of the parliament which met at
Edinburgh June I, 1478. He had the title .of
Domine de Craigmillar, the residence of his race
for nearly three hundred years.
In 1479 this castle became connected with a
dark and mysterious State tragedy. The Duke
of Albany was accused of conspiring treasonably
with the English against the life of his brother,
James III., but made his escape from Edinburgh
Castle, as related in Volume I. Their younger
brother John, Earl of Mar, was placed a prisoner
in Craigmillar on the same charges. James 111.
did not possess, it was alleged, the true characteristics
of a king in those days. He loved music,
architecture, poetry, and study. ?He was ane
man that loved solitude,? says Pitscottie, ?and
desired never to hear of warre ?-a desire that the
Scottish noblemen never? cared to patronise.
Mar, a handsome and gay fellow, ? knew nothing
but nobility.? He was a keen hunter, a sportsman,
and breeder of horses for warlike purposes.
Whether Mar was guilty or not of the treasons which
were alleged against him will never be known, but
certain it is that he never left his captivity alive.
Old annalists say that he chose his own mode 01
death, and had his veins opened in a warm bath
but Drummond, in his ? History of the Jameses,?
says he was seized by fever and delirium in Craig
millar, and was? removed to the Canongate, wherc
he died in the hands of the king?s physician, eithei
from a too profuse use of phlebotomy, or from his
having, in a fit of frenzy, torn off the bandages.
In 1517 Balfour records that the young king
James V. was removed from Edinburgh to Craig
millar, and the queen-mother was not permitted tc
see him, in consequence of the pestilence ther
raging. But he resided here frequently. In 1544
it is stated in the ? Diurnal of Occurents ? that thc
fortress was too hastily surrendered to the Englisl
invaders, who sacked and burned it.
By far the most interesting associations of Craig
nillar, like so many other castles in the south of
kotland, are those in which Queen Mary behrs a
)art, as she made it a favourite country retreat.
Within its walls was drawn up by Sir James
Balfour, with unique legal solemnity, the bond of
Dardey?s murder, and there signed by so many
iobles of the first rank, who pledged themselves
o stand by Bothwell with life and limb, in weal or
woe, after its perpetration, which bond of blood the
wily lawyer afterwards destroyed.
Some months after the murder of Rizzio, and
while the grasping and avaricious statesmen of the
!ay were watching the estrangement of Nary and
ier husband, on the 2nd December, 1560, Le
3oc, the French Ambassador, wrote thus to the
4rchbishop of Glasgow :-? The Queen is for the
xesent at Craigmillar, about a league distant from
.his city. She is in the hands of the physicians,
and I do assure you is not at all well, and do
Jelieve the principal part of her disease to consist
n deep grief and sorrow. Nor does it seem possible
to make her forget the same. Still she repeats
ihese words--?lcould wish to be dead!??
Craigmillar narrowly escaped being stained with
the blood of the dissolute Darnley. It would zppear
that when he returned from Glasgow, early in
1567, instead of lodging him in the fatal Kirk-0?-
Field, the first idea of the conspirators was to bring ,
him hither, when it was suggested that his recovery
from his odious disease might be aided by the
sanitary use of a bath--? an ominous proposal to a
prince, who might remember what tradition stated
to have happened ninety years earlier within the
same walls.?
The vicinity abounds with traditions of the
hapless Mary. Her bed closet is still pointed out ;
and on the east side of the road, at Little France,
a hamlet below the castle walls, wherein some of
her French retinue was quartered, a gigantic
plane-the largest in the Lothians-is to this day
called ? Queen Mary?s Tree,?? from the unauthenticated
tradition that her own hands planted it, and
as such it has been visited by generations. In
recent storms it was likely to suffer ; and Mr. Gilmour
of Craigmillar, in September, 1881, after consulting
the best authorities, had a portion of the
upper branches sawn off to preserve the rest
In ?? the Douglas wars,? subsequent to the time
when Mary was a captive and exile, Craigmillar
bore its part, especially as a prison ; and terrible
times these were, when towns, villages, and castles
were stormed and pillaged, as if the opposite
factions were inspired by the demon of destruction
-when torture and death were added to military
execution, and the hapless prisoners were hurried ... CRAIGMILLAR CASTLE. Si Robert XI., ?of the lands of Craigmillar, in Vic du Edinburgh, whilk William ...

Book 5  p. 59
(Score 0.57)

308 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.
Signet Hall. He then drove to the’palace of Holyrood House; and after
being conducted through the public apartments, returned to the hotel. Next
day (Sabbath) during the interval of public service, escorted by the Lord
Provost, several of the Magistrates, and Sir Thomas Bradford, K.B., and his
Staff, his Excellency visited the Castle, went into the Crown-Room, and saw
the Regalia of Scotland. He inspected, different parts of the garrison, and
appeared to be much pleased with the martial appearance of a small body of
Highlanders then stationed in the Castle. In the course of the afternoon he
repaired to Leith, viewed the new docks, pier, etc.
Being slightly indisposed on Monday, his Excellency remained in the hotel ;
but, on the following day, he visited the Register House, Heriot’s Hospital,
and rode through several of the streets on horseback, attended by an officer of
the Staff, and another gentleman. The same evening, after dining with the
Lord Provost and a select party, he went to the Pantheon, accompanied by the
then Lord Advocate (Sir William Rae, Bart.), the late Sir John Sinclair, and
other gentlemen. The house was filled to overflowing with the rank and fashion
of the city, and he was received with every mark of respect.
On Wednesday the Ambassador was waited upon by the Earl of Glasgow,
Sir William Elliot, and various persons of distinction, His Excellency afterwards
proceeded to the Calton Hill, the hazy weather the day previous having
induced him to postpone his visit. With the promenade round the hill, and
the wide expanse of prospect afforded at every point, the Ambassador was
highly gratified, and frequently stopping short to admire the scene before him,
gave vent to his feelings of admiration by repeatedly exclaiming-“ grand,”
“ very grand,” “the finest city in Europe,” etc. No prominent object escaped
him ; and his minute inquiries sufficiently indicated the deep interest taken in
what he witnessed. Requesting to be informed the meaning of the round tower
erected on the grave of Hume, he expressed peculiar satisfaction on learning
that the memorial marked where the ashes of the Historian of England were
deposited. From the Calton Hill his Excellency rode down to Leith; and
proceeding westward, by the Fort, returned to the hotel.
On Thursday morning his Excellency departed for Hamilton Palace, on a
visit to the Duke. On his way he breakfasted with the Earl of Morton at
Dalmahoy. During his short stay in Edinburgh the attention he experienced
from the public authorities, and others who attended him in his perambulations,
called forth the most lively expressions of satisfaction. In the Print by Kay,
the Mirza is represented in his riding-dress. When here, he might be in his
forty-fourth or forty-fifth year. His manners were dignified, and courteous in
his intercourse with the authorities and other gentlemen ; but his demeanour in
the hotel did not accord so well with the refinement and amiableness of feeling
attributed to him in the reminiscences of Lord Radstock and the other writer.
Several females of respectability were insulted by him ;’ and it was necessary
His Excellency entertained the idea that, on meeting, it was the custom here for gentlemen to
One
He
salute the fair sex.
moruing, when coming clown stairs, the youngest of them was encountered by the Amhassador.
Two ladieu on a visit from London resided in the same hotel with him. ... BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. Signet Hall. He then drove to the’palace of Holyrood House; and after being ...

Book 9  p. 409
(Score 0.57)

tumblers. Everything about him-his coat, his
wig, his figure, his face, his scrofula, his St. Vitus?s
dance, his rolling walk, his blinking eyes, his insatiable
appetite for fish sauce and veal pie with
plums, his mysterious practice of treasuring up
scraps of orange-peel, his morning slumbers, his
saw a man led by a bear!? So romantic and
fervid was his admiration of Johnson, that he tells
us he added A500 to the fortune of one of his
daughters, Veronica, because when a baby she was
not frightened by the hideous visage of the lexicographer.
LORD SEMPLE?S HOUSE, CASTLE HILL.
midnight disputations, his contortions, his mutterings,
his gruntings, his puffings, his vigorous,
acute, and ready eloquence, his sarcastic Wit, his
vehemence and his insolence, his fits of tempestuous
rage,? &e, all served to make it a source of
wonder to Mrs. Boswell that her husband could
abide, much less worship, such a man. Thus, she
once said to him, with extreme warmth, ?I have
seen many a bear led by a man, bur I never before
?
Among those invited to meet him at James?s
Court was Margaret Duchess of Douglas, a lady
noted among those of her own rank for her illiteracy,
and whom Johnson describes as ?talking
broad Scotch with a paralytic voice, as scarcely
understood by her own countrymen ; ? yet it was
remarked that in that which we would term now a
spirit of ?? snobbery,? Johnson reserved his attentions
during the whole evening exclusively for the ... Everything about him-his coat, his wig, his figure, his face, his scrofula, his St. Vitus?s dance, his ...

Book 1  p. 100
(Score 0.57)

HISTORICAL INCIDENTS AFTER THE RESTORA TION. I11
that, when they were assembled in St Giles’s Church, and it was debated whether they
should stand on their defence or not, only three or four voices answered in the affirmative.
Rut while the citizens were still undetermiaed as to the terms of capitulation, the Nether
Bow Port was unwarily opened to let a coach pass out, on which a party of Highlanders,
who had reached the gate undiscovered, immediately rushed in and secured the city, took
possession of the guard-house, and seized on the arms and ammunition belonging to the
guard.
The Highland army encamped
in the royal park, in the neighbourhood of Duddingston, and the Chevalier himself
took possession of Holyrood Palace. The heralds were required to publish at the Market
Cross the commission of Regency which the Prince’had received from his father, and
which was accordingly done with all the usual ceremonies attending royal proclamations.
Multitudes of the inhabitants now flocked to the neighbouring camp, attracted by the
novelty of the sight, or their favour to the cause of the Stuarts, while the Palace was
crowded by numbers of the better class of citizens, who hastened to testify their fidelity
to the exiled family.
They were received by the Prince with the utmost affability and condescension; but this
did not prevent him issuing an order, requiring the inhabitants of the town and county of
Edinburgh to deliver up their arms at the Palace, and the city to furnish a great variety of
stores for the use of the army, under pain of military execution in case of failure. The
supplies were furnished accordingly, and the city gratified with the Prince’s gracious promise
of payment, so soon as the troubles should be over. The Castle, however, was held
by General Guest, a stanch adherent of the Government, and on the Highlanders appearing
in the city, he displayed the flag, and fired some cannon to warn them not to approach the
fortress.
The Highlanders, thus amply supplied, marched to Preston, about nine miles to the
eastward of the capital, where they defeated and put to rout the royal forces, under the
command of Sir John Cope. The dragoons fled from the field without halting till they
reached Linlithgow. Their baggage, artillery, and military chests all fell into the Prince’s
hands, who returned to the Palace of Holyrood in triumph. Notwithstanding the irregular
character of the Highland army, they behaved, in general, with great order and moderation ;
and such was the simplicity of the poor Highlanders, even in rapine, that it is said some of
them presented their pieces at passengers, and on being asked what they wanted, replied, (‘ a penny,” with which they went away perfectly satiefied.’
The Prince intimated, on his return to Edinburgh, that the ministers should have full
liberty to continue their usual duties on the following day, which was Sunday, the only
requirement being, that, in the prayers for the royal family, no names should be
specified.
Only one of the city ministers, named Hogg, availed himself of this permission, and
lectured in the forenoon in the Tron Church. But the Rev. Neil M‘Vicar of St Cuthbert’s
was of the true old covenanting metal, and not to be intimidated by the near neighbourhood
of the Jacobite forces. He sent word to the commander of the Castle of his intention
to continue the usual services of the day, and proceeded to his pulpit at the appointed hour.
The young Chevalier speedily followed this advance guard.
Scots Mag., rol, vii p. 442. ... INCIDENTS AFTER THE RESTORA TION. I11 that, when they were assembled in St Giles’s Church, and it was ...

Book 10  p. 122
(Score 0.57)

CHAPTER 111.
THE LA WNMARKET.
ANY citizens still ring can remember
when the wide thoroughfare immediately
below the Castle Hill used to be covered with
the stalls and bookhs of the ‘‘ lawn merchants,”
with their webs and cloths of every description,
giving that central locality all the appearance
of a fair. This also, however, with other old
customs, has passed away, and the name only
remaina to preserve the memory of former
usages, although such was the importance of
this locality in former times, that its occupants
had a club of their own, styled “The Lawnmarket
Club,” which was celebrated in its
day for the earliest possession of all important
news.
The old market-place was bounded on the
west by the Weigh-house, or 6c butter trone,”
as it is styled in some of the title-deeds of the
neighbouring buildings, and on the east by the
ancient Tolbooth, and formed in early times .
the only open space of any great extent, with
the single exception of the Grassmarket, that
existed within the town walls.
The Weigh-house7 of which we furnish an
engraving, was a clumsy and inelegant building,
already alluded to,’ occupying the centre of the street at the head of the West Bow. It
was rebuilt in the year 1660 on the site of a previous erection, which is shown in Cordon’s
map of 1646, adorned with a steeple at the east end, and appears, from contemporaneous
~ c o ~ ttos h,a ve been otherwise of an ornamental character. The only decorations on
Vide pp. 96-7.
~IaNETTB.-G~adatone’a Land.
. . ... 111. THE LA WNMARKET. ANY citizens still ring can remember when the wide thoroughfare immediately below ...

Book 10  p. 172
(Score 0.57)

KING’S STABLES, CASTLE BARNS, AND CASTLE HILL. 151
a piscina; and those of France were in the same position in the floor above.‘ In their
original po,sition these devices were so obscured with dirt and whitewash as to appear
merely rnde plaster ornaments ; but on their removal they proved to be very fine and carefully-
finished carvings in oak, and retaining marks of the colours with which they had
been blazoned. These heraldic bearings are not only interesting, as confirming the early
tradition first mentioned by Maitland,-a careful and conscientious antiquary,-of its
having been the residence of Mary of Guise, but they aEord a very satisfactory clue to the
period of her abode there. James Hamilton, Earl of Arran, was created Duke of Chatelherault
in the year 1548, but not fully confirmed in the title till 1551, when it was
conceded to him as part of his reward for resigning the Regency to the Queen Dowager ;
and that same year she returned from France to assume the government. The death of
Henry 11. of Frame occurred in 1559, just about the period when the complete rupture
took place between the Regent and the Lords of the Congregation, after which time her
chief place of residence was in Leith, until her last illness, when she took up her abode
in the Castle of Edinburgh, where she died. The interval between these dates entirely
coincides with that period of her history when she might be supposed to have chosen such a
residence within the city walls, and near the Castle, while the burning of the Capital and
Palace by the English army in 1544 was of so recent occurrence, and the buildings of the
latter were probably only partially restored.’
In rtccordance with the traditions of the locality, we have described the property in Todd’s
Close as forniing a part of the Guise Palace, entered from Blyth’s Close, and with which
there existed an internal communication. It appears, however, from the title-deeds of the
property, that this portion of the range of ancient buildings had formed, either in the
Chambers mentions (Traditions, vol. i p. 80) having seen, in the possession of an antiquarian friend, the City Arms,
which had been removed from a similar situation in the third floor. We have reason to believe, however, that he w a ~
mistaken in this, and that the arms he saw were removed from an old houae on the south side of the Canongate.
“ The Queen Dowager,”
says Calderwood, A.D. 1554, “came from the Parliament Houa, to the Palace of Halyrudhous, with the honnoura borne
before her ” [vol. i. p, 2831, on which Knox remarks, that, “ It waa als seemelie a sight to see the crowne putt upon her
head, as to see a aaddle putt upon the backe of an unrulie kow ! ” This, however, and similar alluaiona to her going to
the Palace on occasions of state, cannot be considered as necesaarily inconsistent with the occupation of a private
mansion. The titledeeds of the property which we have examined throw no light on this interesting question. They
are all comparatively recent, the earlieat of them bearing the date of 1622.
Some curious information about the household of Mary of Guise is furnished in the selection from the register of
the Privy Seal of Scotland, appended to Pitcairn’s Criminal Trials, e.g. 1538. “ Item, for iiij elnia grene veluet, to be
ye covering of ane eadill to the fule.” Again, “for vij elnis, 4 elne grene birge satyne, to be the Q u d s fule, ane
goune . . . sallow birge satyne, to be hir ane kirtill . . . blaid black gray, to lyne ye kirtill,” &c., and at her coronation
in 1540, “Item, deliuerit to ye Frenche tehur, to be ane cote to Serrat, the Quenis fule,” &c. Green and
yellow seems to have been the Court Fool’s livery. This is one of the very few instances on record of a Female
Buffoon or Fool, for the amusement of the Court The Queen’s establishment also included a male and female dwarf,
whose dresses figure in these accounts, alongside of such items, gs-“ For vj elnis of Parise blak, to be Maiter George
Balquhannane ane goune, at the Quenia Grace entre in Edinburghe.” “To Janet Douglaa, spous of David
Lindesay, of the Monthe XI. li.” To the POW penny, deliuerit to David Lindesay, Lyoune herald, on the Quenia
[Magdalen] Saull-Nes and Dirige,” &c. The following items from the Treasurer’s accounts show the existence of
similar eervitors in Queen Mary’s household :-“ 1562, Paid for ane cote, hois, lynyng and making, to Jonat Yusche,
fuler84,5a. 6d. Ane
abnkement to Jaquelene gouernance de la Jordiner. 1566, Ane garment of reid and yellow to be ane gowne, hois, and
cote, to Jane Colquhoun, fule. 1567, Ane abnlement of braid inglis yellow, to be cots and breikis,4lso aarkis,-to
James Geddie, fule.” Subsequent entries show that Queen Mary had a Female Fule, called 9‘ Niwlau, the Queen’s
Grace fule,” who would appear, from the following item, to have been retained in the service of the Regent after the
Queen’s flight to England :-“ 1570, The first day of August, be the Regent’s g. speciale command, to Nichola the fule,
to mak hir expensis and fraucht to France, L15.”
* No allusion occurs in any of the historians of the period in con6rmation of the tradition.
1565, For grene plading to mak ane bed to Jardinar, the fule, with white fustiane, feddem, &c. ... STABLES, CASTLE BARNS, AND CASTLE HILL. 151 a piscina; and those of France were in the same position in ...

Book 10  p. 163
(Score 0.56)

THE LA WNMARKE T. I59
the latter building, consisted of a rudely executed ogee pediment, containing the city
arms, and surmounted by three tron weights. On Queen Mary’s entry to Edinburgh in
1561, this was the scene of some of the most ingenious displays of civic loyalty. Her
Majesty dined in the Castle, and a triumphal arch was erected at the Weigh-house, or
“ butter trone,” where the keys of the city were presented to her by “ane bony barne,
that descendit doun fra a cloude, as it had bene ane angell,” and added to the wonted
gift a Bible and Psalm-book-additions which some contemporary historians hint were
received with no very good grace.’ Cromwell established a guard in the older building
there, while the Castle was held out against him in 1650, and prudently levelled it with
the ground on gaining possession of the fortress, lest it should afford the same cover to
hiis assailants that it had done to himself. The latter erection proved equally serviceable
to the Highlanders of Prince Charles in 1745, when they attempted to blockade the Castle,
and starve out the garrison by stopping all supplies. The first floor of the large done
land, in front of Milne’s Court, was occupied at the same period as the residence and guardroom
for the officers commanding the neighbouring post ; and it is said that the dislodged
occupant,--a zealous Whig,-took his revenge on them after their departure by advertising
for the recovery of missing articles abstracted by his compulsory guests. The court
immediately behind this appears to have been one of the earliest attempts to substitute
an open square of some extent for the narrow closes that had so long afforded the sole
town residences of the Scottish gentry. The main entrance is adorned with a Doric entablature,
and bears the date 1690. The principal house, which forms the north side of the
court, has a handsome entrance, with neat mouldifigs, rising into a small peak in the
centre, like a very flat ogee arch. This style of ornament, which frequently occurs in
buildings of the same period, seems to mark the handiwork of Robert Milne, the builder
of the most recent portions of Holyrood Palace, and seventh Royal Master Mason, whose
uncle’s tomb,-erected by him in the Greyfriars’ Churchyard,-records in quaint rhymes
these hereditary &onours :-
.
Reader, John Milne, who maketh the fourth John,
And, by descent from father unto son,
Sixth Master-Mason, to a royal race
Of seven succesaive kings, sleeps in thia place.
The houses forming the west side of the court are relics of a much earlier period, that
had been delivered from the durance of a particularly narrow close by the march of fashion
and improvement in the seventeenth century. The most northerly of them long formed
the town mansion of the lairds of Comiston, in whose possession it still remains ; while that
to the south, though only partially exposed, presents a singularly irregular and picturesque
Ante, p. 71. “Quhen hir grace come fordwart to the butter trone of the said burgh, the nobilitie and convoy foirsaid
precedand, at the quhilk butter trone thair waa ane port made of tymber, in maiat honourable maner, cullorit with
fyne cullouris, hungin with syndrie armem ; upon the quhii port w88 singand certane barneia in the maiat hevinlie via;
under the quhilk port thair wea ane cloud opynnand with four levis, in the quhik waa put and bony barna And quhen
the queues hienes waa cumand throw the said port, the said cloud opynnit, and the barne dscendit doun as it had beene
ane angell, and deliuent to her hienes the keyis of the toun, togidder with ane Bybd and ane Paalme Buik, couerit with
fyne purpourit veluot ; and efter the said b eha d spoken aome small speitches, he deliuerit alsua tu her hienea thw
writtin@, the tennour thairof is vncertane. That being done, the barne ascendit in the cloua, and the said dud stekit j
- and thairefter the quenia grace come doun to the to1bnith.”-Diurnal of Ocurrenta, p. 68. ... LA WNMARKE T. I59 the latter building, consisted of a rudely executed ogee pediment, containing the ...

Book 10  p. 173
(Score 0.56)

  Previous Page Previous Results   Next Page More Results

  Back Go back to Edinburgh Bookshelf

Creative Commons License The scans of Edinburgh Bookshelf are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.